Fuel bottles

Cougar dave

When going on tours do any of you take extra fuel bottle with you just in case you don't make it to next fuel stop? I have seen some for about 15 to 20 pound but was thinking could you use stainless steel water bottles as sold in b+m for just 3 ponds ,what do you think . :?:

1. I wouldn't trust anything to carry fuel that wasn't specifically designed for it.

2. Never worried about fuel as I have a sat nav and so can always find out at the touch of a button how far away fuel is. My bikes reserve light comes on with about 50 miles left. I don't mess about... Though If I see a fuel stop before then I'm likely to call in and top up anyway.

3. Make sure your credit card is working and the bank know you're abroad... In many areas of rural France the fuel stops are unmanned card only.

I wouldn't trust anything from b and m to hold fuel but I'm sure you can buy a small type fuel can.

Having said that I find it hard to think you would ever find yourself more than 30 miles from a fuel stop anywhere in the UK and if abroad just keep topped up

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I would be very weary of using any container to transport fuel other than those that have been designed and approved for that use.

There are loads of guidelines for transporting fuel.

General principles

The guidance sets out the general principles for the design and manufacture of

portable petrol storage containers with specific guidance for the design and

construction of plastic and metal containers respectively. The general principles for

the design and manufacture of portable petrol storage containers require that they

must:

■ have a nominal capacity:

■ no greater than 10 litres if made of plastic;

■ no greater than 20 litres if made of metal;

■ have a total capacity between 10% and 15% more than the nominal capacity;

■ be made of either metal or plastic that is suitable and safe for the purpose and

will not significantly degrade due to exposure to petrol or naturally occurring

ultraviolet radiation;

■ be designed and constructed so that:

■ they are reasonably robust and not liable to break under the normal

conditions of use;

■ the escape of liquid or vapour is prevented;

■ petrol can be poured safely from them;

■ they are not unsteady when placed on a flat surface;

■ be marked or labelled in a legible and indelible form with:

■ the words ‘PETROL’ and ‘HIGHLY FLAMMABLE;

■ an appropriate hazard warning sign;

■ the nominal capacity in litres;

■ the manufacturer’s name and the date and month of manufacture.

Source: http://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/portabable-petrol-storage-containers.pdf

This is also a good page for information on the subject - https://www.jerrycans.co.uk/blog/are-jerry-cans-legal-what-is-the-law-on-fuel-cans

Just reset your trip meter and refuel at specific mileage. Don't try to run the bike dry between fuel stops.

I wouldn't be trusting a three quid water bottle to hold flammable liquids!

unless you are travelling in totally remote places then its a waste of time and money

You should never have a problem in the UK or Europe getting fuel

You could also plan your trip in advance and include fuel stops

:cheers: everyone ,all good points. I have sat nav so I'll look for petrol stops as I plan my route each day probably not a good idea anyway to carry fuel in cheap bottles.

Went to Scotland a few months ago got lost on back roads and when I found petrol stop bike was running on fumes , but didn't have sat Navy then, anyway that's another problem sorted by you lot :up: