Calais to San Sebastian, Spain

Fidgetgreen

Hi,

I'm looking at doing a trip in the summer from London to San Sebastian (or a nearby surf resort). I'm pretty keen to travel down on a bike and I wanted to know if anyone has done this before and if there are any routes they would advise. It'll be around a two week trip with about 3 days travel to get to Spain, 7 days surfing and then 4 days to get back to London. Any advice at all? I don't want to do huge days riding so I'm happy to extend the trip by a day or two if necessary. I'm also trying to keep the costs down so a ferry from Santander back to the UK is out of the question.

Thanks!

I know you said a ferry was out of the question.. but have you done your sums?

Using the Economie and as cheap as possible.... so that will mean kipping in a seat. works out at £199. based on one adult plus motorcycle travelling on Tuesday July 10th

details as per below.

Outbound

Route: Portsmouth to Santander

Departure: Tue 10 Jul 2018 17:15

Arrival: Wed 11 Jul 2018 18:15

Vessel: PONT AVEN

How are you travelling?

Outbound

1 Motorcycle(s)

Passenger details

Outbound

1 Adults

On board accommodation

Outbound

1 x Reserved Lounge Seat

Price

40.00 GBP Deposit

159.00 GBP Balance

So.. you arrive in a day with an overnight on the boat.... that would give you what? 5 or 6 days for a very leisurely and rather pleasant return journey home.

compare this £199 with the costs of the ride down.. ferry/tunnel to France. best part of 700 miles at a minimum in petrol. plus tolls. plus 2/3 nights accommodation. and all meals. suddenly £200 doesn't seem so expensive..

Ferry is to Santander.. which is about 130 miles from San Seb.

personally... i would sit down and do the sums... and weigh it all up.

a bit more if you want to go in august.. then it works out at £221

Edited by Gerontious

Can you book just a seat for an overnight crossing?

Edit: apparently you can, please bear in mind you wont get much sleep in a seat and riding tired is almost as bad as riding drunk, it might still be cost effective to book a cabin.

Edited by raesewell

Wish we could have this option to get to Norway. 700 miles each way to get to the start of your holiday, is the equivalent to 4 days on the bike, unless your mad for it.

Of course there is always the train... but this is just a smidge more complicated and would mean a ride into central Paris.

the advantage is that you can collect your bike when you want and its only a 28 mile ride to San Sebastian.

so.. the bike would go to Paris and on an overnight train to Biarritz.. and you would travel on the TGV during the day.

probably looking at £150 for that all-in. and perhaps a room in paris for the night... on top.

https://www.railtravelshop.com/motorail/france/paris-biarritz

Over the years ive talked to all sorts of people.. all bikers who have used the train and they all thought it was great. In recent years its changed.. especially in france. but its still a viable way to travel if you dont want to ride from north to south. not all that long ago the train would start from calais.. but now they all start from Paris. Gare de Bercy https://goo.gl/maps/7wUcUp1HGNy

So.. you would ride down to Dover or the tunnel.. cross to france then a 3 hour ride to Paris. hand the bike over at the rail station. spend the night in paris then in the morning get the super fast train to Biarritz.. where your bike will be waiting for you then its a very short ride to San Sebastian.

Thanks for all the responses. I hadn't heard of the train so that is definitely an option. i think I may ride down one way and then take the ferry or train on the way back to minimise all the riding. Lots to think about!

Having spoken to two very influencial young males who I am told enjoyed a lovely time in Spain, this is something I am looking at for this year.

I will be riding down because I am a [strikeout]hardcore biker[/strikeout] bloody stupid....

Myself and 2 mates rode to Torrevieja and back several years ago 8-)

We did Dover/Calais, used toll roads and 2 nights each way in Formule 1's (cheap).

500+miles a day!

It was a once in a lifetime thing and was hard going.

I'd still do it again if I got chance though 8-) :lol: