LEJOG

Slowlycatchymonkey

I cycled LEJOG a few years back - 1018 miles total on the route we took. As a test route I'd say it's not really worth it - it is what it is and you do it because it's there. Wherever you live there's the additional complication of getting to Land's End to start with and then back from John O'Groats at the end. (John O'Groats isn't even the furthest bit of the mainland anyway. That's a bit of private land you can't get onto which is a bit of a disappointment when you get there.)

In terms of scenic routes. Cornwall & Devon we followed the coast. Gorgeous but very hilly. You also need to use a couple of ferries which is fun. Crossing the Severn area is a bit mundane and then you need to figure a route up the border between England and Wales. We took the A49 which isn't a bad ride - with an engine. Bit horrid without though, especially when it's raining none stop.

One of the surprising bits in terms of scenery was Lancashire - probably the best bit so far as the scenery went. Then we headed via Carlisle and went towards Glasgow, Loch Lomond, Rannock Moor (where they were filming Harry Potter at the time). Loch Ness and then your choice of routes gets a bit restricted. The top bit of Scotland - well I'm sure the locals love it but frankly it's not the prettiest or most dramatic scenery. You kind of just have to go through it to get to John O'Groats, and when you get there you wonder if it was worth it. Then - as said - you've got to go retrace your steps to get home.

Remember anytime after May and the Scottish midges will eat you alive. Last time I took a sailing course up there we ended up wearing mesh head gear all week and it was horrible. (I am told a diet of pure Marmite for 6 months before you go puts the blighters off.)

Scotland might have lots of mountains but they tend not to build roads over them so you're travelling through the valleys which generally means fairly busy A roads.

So - if you want to do LEJOG then it's something worth doing for it's own right. But if you're looking for a test run for a long trip to sunnier climes then I'd look at working out a circular route from where you live that takes you some places you really want to see.

Frankly - on a motorbike, I'd rather do a round the coast trip so you don't have to retrace your steps. You could do the English coastline, go through Hereford and up the A49 if you don't want to do the Welsh coast, then cut across at Hadrian's wall to make it circular. It's probably longer than the LEJOG route one way, but shorter than from home - LEJOG - back home.

Really if you want to ride Scotland then you're better riding up the west coast though the Galloway Forest, over to Glasgow and continue up to the northwest coast following something like the nc500 route. The central route via the A9 is boring (A93/939 are good alternatives) and there's not a great deal on the east coast we it's a lot more populated.

Ooh wooden Tesco now I really want to do it! :roll:

[mention]Mississippi Bullfrog[/mention] Thanks for the comprehensive reply I will have a think about round the coast. It’s been in my mind since I gave up endurance cycling last year having not done it. I was thinking of a meandering please myself type of route rather than the brutal cycle it as fast as possible route. I don’t fancy retracing my steps and hadn’t even considered it so that’s definitely a pause for thought but Lands End is is 3 hours max from my doorstop so perhaps I could do it in reverse, go up the coast and back from John O’Groats. I like the sound of Galloway forest.

Midge n skeeter wise I drink plenty of quinine so it tends to be other people that get bitten, worked for me the last time I went to Scotland :wink:

Really if you want to ride Scotland then you're better riding up the west coast though the Galloway Forest, over to Glasgow and continue up to the northwest coast following something like the nc500 route. The central route via the A9 is boring (A93/939 are good alternatives) and there's not a great deal on the east coast we it's a lot more populated.

Yep , the A9 is just grim . Go Loch Lomond, Loch Ness,then Ullapool, Lochinver etc. Or even Fort William, Mallaig , Skye, Kyle of Lochalsh then Wester Ross Coastal trail. West is best the East is urban by comparison. For the North of England you can go from Kendal to Carlisle taking in the Lake district and you can get from Carlisle to Glasgow on the old Road that still runs beside the M74 without seeing another vehicle for miles.https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=1006907#p1006907

Edited by fastbob

Considering doing Lands End to John O’groats (when I get my full licence) as a test run for possible trips to sunnier climbs. I’d like a scenic route, don’t mind going out of my way to see something worthwhile.

Any suggestions or advice gratefully recieved.

See my old post entitled Scotland no Motorways in the Touring section ( I think )

If you pass your test.. buy a bike with at least some luggage capacity.. and this idea of yours doesn't happen. send me a message next spring. :mrgreen:

Don’t you mean when I pass my test? There’s only so many times a person can fail before the odds arrive in my favour! :D Unless it turns out I’m a Maureen Rees- remember that terrible driver who repeatedly failed her driving test on the prog ‘Driving school’

Considering doing Lands End to John O’groats (when I get my full licence) as a test run for possible trips to sunnier climbs. I’d like a scenic route, don’t mind going out of my way to see something worthwhile.

Here's the linkhttps://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=1006907#p1006907