passing through the Lake district

fastbob

Can anyone suggest the most enjoyable and scenic route through the Lake District. I'm travelling south to north with Kendall being my starting point ,I'm actually going to be on my way to Scotland but I don't mind deviating a bit to take in the best bits . I might camp overnight but I've already been to Castlerigg campsite above Keswick so similar alternatives would be most welcome.

Great pub at top of Kirkstone Pass :cheers:

There are 2 at sykeside campsite :-)

T Total for eight years now but I'm sure they do good food , thanks anyway.

sykeside campsite near glenridding is nice.

Excellent, Glenridding looks like an interesting place to wander around, not like Castlerigg where you feel stuck up a hill with nothing to do or see . Thanks.

Great pub at top of Kirkstone Pass :cheers:

There are 2 at sykeside campsite :-)

T Total for eight years now but I'm sure they do good food , thanks anyway.

Food is the only reason I would go to a pub, as I haven't touched alcohol for over 20 years.

[mention]The GOAT[/mention]

Lives in Ambleside.. so perhaps will add some local knowledge.

The last time I went to the Lakes was the day Diana was buried.. so.. I had the entire region to myself.. "Deserted" does not do justice to that day... it was like the 'London" scene at the start of 28 Days later.. without the litter and overturned cars.

Actually.. one of my best days riding ever.. in this country. Glorious.

A591 from Kendal to Keswick is good once past Grasmere (traffic means no fun) very very scenic. When there Honnister, Newlands & Winlatter Passes are all there or as suggested A592 over Kirstone through Glenridding is good so beautiful, you could then turn onto Matterdale and head into Keswick. Hardnott is giddy and tarmac is really shit with this hot weather so be careful.

A lap around Bassenthwaite Lake from Keswick is a good road, very quiet and some fast roads if that's your thing. For twisty A66 to Alston.

Best time to ride is 3pm this Saturday when England are playing :mrgreen: and 26 degrees.

If you use the A591 then detour into Grasmere and pick up some Sarah Nelson's Grasmere gingerbread.

hardknott pass is entertaining :mrgreen:

Well I am taking a spare set of clutch plates with me because of my experience on the Devils Staircase last year . I might save them for the Bealach Na Ba later on in the journey. Great road but unfortunately it's a bit East - West , I need a bit more South - North really. Maybe on the way back.

wp_ss_20180706_0001.thumb.png.c08ff9ddde3802ecd2f8ee38d25b90b7.png

@The GOAT

The last time I went to the Lakes was the day Diana was buried.. so.. I had the entire region to myself.. "Deserted" does not do justice to that day... it was like the 'London" scene at the start of 28 Days later.. without the litter and overturned cars.

Oddly enough that same day was the first opening day of M&P Coventry and we were absolutely mobbed , dozens of bikes right down the street , five deep at the counter , pandemonium.

@The GOAT

Oddly enough that same day was the first opening day of M&P Coventry and we were absolutely mobbed , dozens of bikes right down the street , five deep at the counter , pandemonium.

Off topic I know ..... but why did M&P close down?

I was gutted, it was local with a wide variety of stock at competitive prices.

It hasn’t got one, it closed down !!

However was in Holbrooks near the Hub pub.

Now I look a tit coz Raeswell deleted his post 😛

Well I am taking a spare set of clutch plates with me because of my experience on the Devils Staircase last year . I might save them for the Bealach Na Ba later on in the journey. Great road but unfortunately it's a bit East - West , I need a bit more South - North really. Maybe on the way back.

Really? I walked up it like most normal folk do on the west Highland way, is there another route I could have gotten a taxi up, I damd annoyed if there was 😂

Really? I walked up it like most normal folk do on the west Highland way, is there another route I could have gotten a taxi up, I damd annoyed if there was 😂

The Bealch Na Ba is not part of the west highland way . It is much further north and goes to Applecross .

start-of-climb.thumb.jpg.8d5d6754eca9911eb79fb88f790f237e.jpg

wildest-climb-in-britain.thumb.jpg.8122cea2b89baef4afc1e3924f49a77c.jpg

Edited by fastbob

@The GOAT

I worked there for ten years, its complicated and I don't really want to talk about it in detail . Briefly, it was only M&P for part of the ten years it was open . It went stand alone under the name MPS and was re acquired by M&P and branded as Busters . Why did it eventually close ? Among many reasons , the internet probably played a part . Other reasons were disappointed customers, poor stock control , false promises , unpaid suppliers,embezzlement, floods , out of touch management , theft , and a badly chosen location . And that's all I want to say about that.

I worked there for ten years, its complicated and I don't really want to talk about it in detail . Briefly, it was only M&P for part of the ten years it was open . It went stand alone under the name MPS and was re acquired by M&P and branded as Busters . Why did it eventually close ? Among many reasons , the internet probably played a part . Other reasons were disappointed customers, poor stock control , false promises , unpaid suppliers,embezzlement, floods , out of touch management , theft , and a badly chosen location . And that's all I want to say about that.

I remember it going through various names, but ‘nuff said.