Eifel Mountains 2018

Planning a trip in the UK or overseas? Whether you are planning on touring in Europe or the UK use this section to ask about places to visit, stay and general advice.
Slowlycatchymonkey
Bike(s): Hilts Mutt, r ninet
Has liked: 854 times
Been liked: 909 times

Re: Eifel Mountains 2018

Post by Slowlycatchymonkey » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:08 pm

Such great photos and write ups. I can’t stop looking at the tarmac. Is it different tarmac to here, I mean is it a different mix from here? It looks so smooth.

@Bungleaio You took wet wipes with you to clean your bike? They look like good wipes but the tub must have taken up more space than your wash kit?!

@Gerontious I feel a bit ashamed I’ve not heard of these places. I don’t understand why I haven’t heard of them. I’m going to have a little read up.
2018 BMW R nineT
“It’s shit. And as soon as I get home I’m going to buy one.”
That was a fellow journalist’s first impression of the BMW R nineT recently. It’s a pretty accurate summary; the R nineT is somewhat ill-mannered by modern motorcycle standards but also instantly, inarguably, infatuatingly wonderful.

Up to 25% off insurance Click here for more info

Gerontious
Bike(s): Honda CRF1000D2 (DCT)
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 1345 times

Post by Gerontious » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:11 pm

The germans take pride in their infrastructure, in their roads. When a road wears out, they are not content with taking the cheap route.. resurfacing. They dig the whole lot up and rebuild the road from scratch. They also bring in the utilities.. and so pipes and cables are examined and possibly repaired/replaced at the same time. So.. you will be very lucky to ever see a road being dug up by the local water company. or the gas board. or anything like that. if that were to happen.. they would be sued - by everyone. including the locals who would demand compensation for the inconvenience. consequently its in everyone best interest that when a road is replaced... its done properly.

The side effect of this is that the roads are generally stunning... like silk. Which is why we go back so often. we have two years there, then a year someplace else, then two years there. Its totally addictive. There is nothing like it in the UK.

last time "matts road" was closed.. so this time I made it a priority to return to it. the road.. for almost its entire length had been rebuilt and was absolutely fantastic.. we rode up it. next time we will do it in both directions. its just one of 100s of truly stunning roads in an area of over 3000 square miles. Much of which.. aside from the area around the Nurburgring. is totally unknown to the brits. our hotel never sees any.. aside from us. Its evident almost every where we go that they never or rarely see any brits. And so we are always treated very well..

the place is a gem.

as for not knowing places.. there is no reason why you should. The British were hardly involved in fighting in the region in either war. In WW1. it was mainly the French/Germans.. to the south of our base. and in WW2 - our area was the site of the battle of the Bulge, which was almost exclusively the Americans fighting the Germans. So..some really quite stunning American cemeteries.. with rather muted german cemeteries close by. and.. if you venture into Luxembourg and the Belgian borderlands.. you will see lots of American flags and small monuments.. as well as some huge ones to the Americans who fought over and liberated the area. In fact the only british thing we ever encounter on our week there.. is the Northampton tank we stop by at La-Roche-en_Ardenne.

The Northampton.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.

Slowlycatchymonkey

Post by Slowlycatchymonkey » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:35 pm

I find it hard to comprehend it’s a doable thing to dig up and relay the road and all the utilities. It’s a stark contrast from Goat mentioning the people on his American trip who are responsible for the road and drain because their house is serviced by it. Or that here there’s constant roadworks digging up patches of road and not even attempting to patch it properly.
Looking at the pics I’m surprised you haven’t moved there!

I’ve never viewed the losses of WW1 or WW2 as separated by nationality. Before you mentioned it above I’d never thought about only being presented with the atrocities that effected Britain. They were events of such a mind boggling and awful scale I always thought of them as something we shared with other the nations so we would have also shared what happened and where. A bit daft now I think about it, that all events would be presented equally. I wonder what else I don’t know.
2018 BMW R nineT
That was a fellow journalist’s first impression of the BMW R nineT recently. It’s a pretty accurate summary; the R nineT is somewhat ill-mannered by modern motorcycle standards but also instantly, inarguably, infatuatingly wonderful.

bonio
Subscriber
Bike(s): Triumph Tiger XRX 800, RV 125 VanVan, DR-Z400 SM
Has liked: 1448 times
Been liked: 602 times

Post by bonio » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:44 am

It's hard to describe the state of the tarmac with mere words. On the best roads, the ones that have been recently refreshed, it's silky smooth, rolled out like fresh pastry, and grippy as hmmm I don't know, grippy stuff. And there's not a stone or piece of grit to be seen, hardly even a lead. One road we went on was bordered by crab apple trees; but someone had come along and swept all the fallen apples off the tarmac and onto the verge. And this was out in the middle of nowhere - not even near a village.
Last year we were in France, near the Alps. There scenery is fantastic, and there's no shortage of hairpins, but the roads were shytier than here in the UK, and for me, it took the edge off the biking.
Two Soups

Gerontious

Post by Gerontious » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:07 pm

The Vercors.. where we went and Le Camping Moto, where we stayed was great.. but the roads were patchy at best. many were truly awful and extremely dodgy. roads masquerading as rivers of gravel.. some that went on and on and on and on. It was very much a last minute decision to go there.. the original intention was to go to the Austrian Alps. But.. sadly the weather over that side was awful and so to the south of France we went following the sun and heat. our experiences there made a return to the Eifel an absolute joy. Theres no comparison. Its definitely made me think twice about ever returning to that part of the world again. Though I would love to try for the Austrian Alps sometime in the future.. even the Dolomites. But our next destination is pretty much settled. 2020 and we will be heading for the Pyrenees or perhaps the Picos.

Justarn
Bike(s): Xjr1200
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 195 times

Post by Justarn » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:56 pm

Jealous.... Just jealous.
What was the total cost and when is next year's trip people?
Custom xjr muscle

Gerontious

Post by Gerontious » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:53 pm

Justarn wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:56 pm
Jealous.... Just jealous.
What was the total cost and when is next year's trip people?
Difficult to pin down.. depends on how much you drink. and how far you are from the Tunnel.

the upfront costs were the channel tunnel crossing and our overnight stay at the Premier Inn or Travelodge at Ashford. I tend to get these out of the way in the early spring.
staying at Ashford means its just a 14 mile ride to the tunnel on the Sunday morning. we generally go for the 08:20 crossing.. so that means leaving Ashford soon after 7am.
For me.. this splits what is almost a 500 mile ride into two.. fairly easy days.

this year the Ashford hotel was about £60 and the return crossing £79. the hotel can be cheaper.. they do various offers throughout the spring/early summer.

The hotel we stay at costs €42 per night half board and including single room supplement. so.. €37 if you are happy with a single room. Half board.. huge breakfast and set 3 course evening meal. The food is spot-on. no frills.. home-type cooking. (very german)

This for the second week in September. crossing on Sunday 8th returning Saturday 14th

maybe up to €20 per day for lunch. snacks and a couple of drinks in the evening.

petrol for on average a 200 mile day. +/- (more for the outward and return.. the hotel is about 260 miles from the tunnel.)

so.. you should have change from £600. for the week itself. assuming you pay for the crossing etc in advance. £100 per day all-in is a decent ball park figure.. with cash left over for more drinks.

This year there was 6 of us.. the maximum Im happy with is 8. for various entirely selfish reasons. And.. at this point in time there may already be 8 going. I cant be sure of that at this point in time. It also depends on how many rooms are available when I make the actual booking and/or.. whether anyone simply wants to tag along.. but do their own thing once we are there. That is always an option.

Slowlycatchymonkey

Post by Slowlycatchymonkey » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:17 pm

I once made the mistake of organising a week for 10 people and I wouldn’t do it again unless there was general agreement before leaving that everyone just does what they want, perhaps meeting in the evening for food.
It was just too many people to get going in the same direction at the same time and everyone be happy with it. Don’t know why eights fine and 10s not but I swore I’d never do it again!
2018 BMW R nineT

mikestrivens
Bike(s): Triumph Tiger 800 XCx 2015
Has liked: 710 times
Been liked: 821 times

Post by mikestrivens » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:34 pm

Arranging group holidays is like herding cats.
Regards
Mike Strivens

Bikes:
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx, 2015,
used to have Honda VFR800 & Harley Fatboy
Cars:
Mercedes SL500 R129 V8 (1999); Mercedes E320 W124 S6 (1995); Mercedes S600 W140 V12 (1995).

Slowlycatchymonkey

Post by Slowlycatchymonkey » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:38 pm

mikestrivens wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:34 pm
Arranging group holidays is like herding cats.
Lol yes it certainly can be.
2018 BMW R nineT

raesewell
Bike(s): Yamaha FJR 2013
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 547 times

Post by raesewell » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:40 pm

I have arranged a trip to France in the last week of April for the last five years, there are between 4 and 7 of us and it works well. They pretty much leave it up to me to pick the places and the hotels, I just send an email with all of the links. I must be doing something right as they keep coming back :shock:

Justarn
Bike(s): Xjr1200
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 195 times

Post by Justarn » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:37 pm

@Gerontious
Well that sounds good to me, is there good safe parking at the hotel?
I'm interested if there is room next year:-)
Fair play if there isn't.
Custom xjr muscle

Gerontious

Post by Gerontious » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:47 pm

Slowlycatchymonkey wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:17 pm
Don’t know why eights fine and 10s not but I swore I’d never do it again!
Its a nice round number and easy to manage.. also it makes our random lunch stops very simple. 2 tables for 4. means the options are pretty much endless. The places we stop at for lunch.. we tend to sit outside and its so simple when you see two tables free. Petrol stops are fairly quick. even if there is only 4 pumps at a small indie petrol station. All.. fairly practical reasons. I did 10 one year and it was hard work. very hard work. So, anyway, 8 may seem an arbitrary number.. but it works. I wanted 8 this year.. and once Bungle came on board I did ask a couple of people (including you) but.. for various reasons it was impossible. 2 regulars had already dropped out. still.. it worked. 6 of us.. was great. Bungle fitted in with the group from the get-go and caused us no problems at all. it was a joy to have him along and really opened his eyes i reckon. The region we go to is stunning and perfect for someone like him.. a new rider who had never been abroad before on a bike with a group of guys who were nothing but supportive. but.. it was also important that he was an independent spirit and knew his limitations. I spent the 6 months from him saying yes, filling him in on exactly how it pans out, So that by the time we set off.. we werent exactly strangers and he knew, pretty much what to expect.

The only link i sent him was the hotel we stay at.. so he could have a look. and a YT video that gave him at least some idea of what the region is like. only a hint. the reality is something else entirely. Sadly there is no 'streetview' in much of Germany so that wasn't an option.

raesewell
Bike(s): Yamaha FJR 2013
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 547 times

Post by raesewell » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:58 pm

You're right eight is just about manageable 10 need splitting into two groups. I tend to stick to six and will lead eight at a push.

Bungleaio
Bike(s): Z1000SX
Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by Bungleaio » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:18 pm

Gerontious really helped set the scene and make sure I was prepared as I could be. It still absolutely blew me away. Friday especially. I'll get the final bit written up soon, work is a bit manic at the moment unfortunately.
Slowlycatchymonkey wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:08 pm

@Bungleaio You took wet wipes with you to clean your bike? They look like good wipes but the tub must have taken up more space than your wash kit?!
No I took four in a sealed bag. I only needed 2 of them, the whole tub would be overkill!
You can't beat a nice bit of faff

Return to “Touring”