Eifel Mountains 2018

Planning a trip in the UK or overseas? Whether you are planning on touring in Europe or the UK use this section to ask about places to visit, stay and general advice.
Snod Blatter
Bike(s): CBX250RS-E CB250N Two Fifty TRX850 K100RS Z250SL
Has liked: 905 times
Been liked: 258 times

Re: Eifel Mountains 2018

Post by Snod Blatter » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:50 am

Six30 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:05 am
don’t know how you lads can drink till 2am , then get up early and ride your bikes ... I’d be fooked all the next day,
2AM is an early finish, previous years have included this..
Me and Igloo stayed away from the pub this year, personally I was determined that the week was going to be about riding and enjoyment after putting a fair bit of work into getting the bike ready, and I found that curtailing the alcohol consumption and instead getting more sleep really did improve everything.

I might look at all this footage one day soon :roll:

Up to 25% off insurance Click here for more info

mikestrivens
Bike(s): Triumph Tiger 800 XCx 2015
Has liked: 710 times
Been liked: 821 times

Post by mikestrivens » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:23 am

Six30 wrote:
don’t know how you lads can drink till 2am , then get up early and ride your bikes ... I’d be fooked all the next day,
Let alone the blood alcohol level still being well in excess of the legal limit.
Regards
Mike Strivens

Bikes:
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx, 2015,
used to have Honda VFR800 & Harley Fatboy
Cars:
Mercedes SL500 R129 V8 (1999); Mercedes E320 W124 S6 (1995); Mercedes S600 W140 V12 (1995).

Six30
TOTY 2019
Bike(s): Suzuki GSX S 1000
Has liked: 1898 times
Been liked: 3416 times

Post by Six30 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:48 am

mikestrivens wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:23 am
Six30 wrote:
Let alone the blood alcohol level still being well in excess of the legal limit.

Yeh that as well.
"People know me. I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."

Bungleaio
Bike(s): Z1000SX
Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by Bungleaio » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:34 pm

To be fair it wasn't heavy drinking like I would at home if I was out with my mates, it was more steady away, we weren't riding until 11 most days too. The beer is really good quality so hangovers aren't really something that happened.

Anyway, I forgot to add this screenshot from my google tracking, it's not quite accurate on the numbers but it gives an idea of the distance covered on the return leg.

You can't beat a nice bit of faff

Gerontious
Bike(s): Honda CRF1000D2 (DCT)
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 1345 times

Post by Gerontious » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:08 pm

So you rode 411 miles, got bored/broke down and got a bus... Missed your stop and had to walk the last .3 mile

You've definitely got faffing down to a fine art. :thumb:
A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.

Igloo
Bike(s): 2016 BMW R1200 GS Adventure TE
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Igloo » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:26 pm

Snod Blatter wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:50 am
Six30 wrote:
2AM is an early finish, previous years have included this..
Me and Igloo stayed away from the pub this year, personally I was determined that the week was going to be about riding and enjoyment after putting a fair bit of work into getting the bike ready, and I found that curtailing the alcohol consumption and instead getting more sleep really did improve everything.

I might look at all this footage one day soon :roll:
Ahhhh me too, I did enjoy the riding much more this year, without the fog of alcohol hanging over my head!

Talkspot
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Talkspot » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:06 pm

Sounds like a brillant trip, great write up, and photos.

Would love to do something like this with a group, with do your only thing mostly, n meet up at night.

Gerontious

Post by Gerontious » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:49 pm

Talkspot wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:06 pm

Would love to do something like this with a group, with do your only thing mostly, n meet up at night.
We had a situation like this 4-5 years ago. The fella I mentioned who was dying and turned up without a word. He was there at the hotel at Ashford. he had booked that and booked a room at the hotel in Germany and told no-one. It was a surprise. but one we dealt with. But.. I didn't feel obligated to him. We tried to get him to fit in.. but he really never did. He was very ill and rode ponderously slow... his normal top speed was about 40mph.. maybe 50 on the motorway. So.. we put up with that for the journey across.. and up to a point while we were there. but.. by his actions and in chats he made it very clear that he was only really there for the company. people he knew to chat with in the evening... ride out with us in the morning but eventually turn off and go do his own thing. the first time he did that was a little upsetting as we thought we had lost him and i felt very responsible for that. but it was all cleared up later and from then on I didn't worry about him at all. He spent most days exploring the region at his own pace and was very happy about that.

Also.. one of the regulars often does this sort of thing.. but he knows the region well and so, again.. is nothing to worry about.

What I do, doesn't suit everyone.. so people have come along and either not bothered again, or proved to be a pain in the neck and ive not bothered asking them again, though that hasnt happened for a fairly long time.. back to a time that pre-dates membership of this forum.

But.. people are more than welcome to come along for the company and indeed ride with us as and when they want to. I have said 8 is a maximum.. simply because it makes life a lot simpler.. but if more than that were to come then i would simply adjust. it depends a lot.. at the end of the day, on how many rooms are available. but even then there is a "plan B'.. there is a second hotel that is just very slightly more expensive. a € or two.. about a half mile away at the other end of the village.

Slowlycatchymonkey
Bike(s): Hilts Mutt, r ninet
Has liked: 854 times
Been liked: 909 times

Post by Slowlycatchymonkey » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:00 am

Gerontious wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:49 pm
Talkspot wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:06 pm

We had a situation like this 4-5 years ago. The fella I mentioned who was dying and turned up without a word. He was there at the hotel at Ashford. he had booked that and booked a room at the hotel in Germany and told no-one. It was a surprise. but one we dealt with. But.. I didn't feel obligated to him. We tried to get him to fit in.. but he really never did. He was very ill and rode ponderously slow... his normal top speed was about 40mph.. maybe 50 on the motorway. So.. we put up with that for the journey across.. and up to a point while we were there. but.. by his actions and in chats he made it very clear that he was only really there for the company. people he knew to chat with in the evening... ride out with us in the morning but eventually turn off and go do his own thing. the first time he did that was a little upsetting as we thought we had lost him and i felt very responsible for that. but it was all cleared up later and from then on I didn't worry about him at all. He spent most days exploring the region at his own pace and was very happy about that.

Also.. one of the regulars often does this sort of thing.. but he knows the region well and so, again.. is nothing to worry about.

What I do, doesn't suit everyone.. so people have come along and either not bothered again, or proved to be a pain in the neck and ive not bothered asking them again, though that hasnt happened for a fairly long time.. back to a time that pre-dates membership of this forum.

But.. people are more than welcome to come along for the company and indeed ride with us as and when they want to. I have said 8 is a maximum.. simply because it makes life a lot simpler.. but if more than that were to come then i would simply adjust. it depends a lot.. at the end of the day, on how many rooms are available. but even then there is a "plan B'.. there is a second hotel that is just very slightly more expensive. a € or two.. about a half mile away at the other end of the village.
Cant make up my mind about this, on one hand turning up on someones holiday unannounced is beyond rude on the other Im glad he got a decent final run out. Very nice of you all to accommodate someone you didn't even know the circumstances of. I would have had a nagging doubt that someone who does something like that is a bit unhinged or on the spectrum somewhere. I suppose he didn't have a lot to lose but its one of the most spectacular gatecrashings Ive come across! The 40-50mph for me would have grated just a bit.
2018 BMW R nineT
“It’s shit. And as soon as I get home I’m going to buy one.”
That was a fellow journalist’s first impression of the BMW R nineT recently. It’s a pretty accurate summary; the R nineT is somewhat ill-mannered by modern motorcycle standards but also instantly, inarguably, infatuatingly wonderful.

Talkspot
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Talkspot » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:41 pm

Yeah I could never turn up uninvited, just wrong, plus as I’m fairly new back to bikes, would make it clear, that I’m quite happy poodling behind, and if I don’t catch up, don’t wait, nothing worse than feeling obliged to change what you find fun, to fit another person.

Slowlycatchymonkey
Bike(s): Hilts Mutt, r ninet
Has liked: 854 times
Been liked: 909 times

Post by Slowlycatchymonkey » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:45 pm

Talkspot wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:41 pm
Yeah I could never turn up uninvited, just wrong, plus as I’m fairly new back to bikes, would make it clear, that I’m quite happy poodling behind, and if I don’t catch up, don’t wait, nothing worse than feeling obliged to change what you find fun, to fit another person.
Agreed
2018 BMW R nineT
“It’s shit. And as soon as I get home I’m going to buy one.”
That was a fellow journalist’s first impression of the BMW R nineT recently. It’s a pretty accurate summary; the R nineT is somewhat ill-mannered by modern motorcycle standards but also instantly, inarguably, infatuatingly wonderful.

Igloo

Post by Igloo » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:28 pm

Soooooo I feel it's been long enough that I should do something with the footage I took with the drone whilst we were out there!

This trip is more about the riding than the touristy photographyness of "normal" holidays. And this captures this pretty well I feel :)

I am so ready for next year!

mikestrivens
Bike(s): Triumph Tiger 800 XCx 2015
Has liked: 710 times
Been liked: 821 times

Post by mikestrivens » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:54 pm

Cool toy, what drone is it?
Regards
Mike Strivens

Bikes:
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx, 2015,
used to have Honda VFR800 & Harley Fatboy
Cars:
Mercedes SL500 R129 V8 (1999); Mercedes E320 W124 S6 (1995); Mercedes S600 W140 V12 (1995).

Igloo

Post by Igloo » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:23 pm

mikestrivens wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:54 pm
Cool toy, what drone is it?
DJI Mavic Pro

Still getting used to it! trying to get it edited too was a bit of a faff!

Gerontious

Post by Gerontious » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:29 pm

We're experts at dealing with any kind of Faff.. minor, major or epic.

great video Matt. :cheers:

Return to “Touring”