Summer European Trip

RAYK47

So, the Mrs is looking to go away with a friend during may half term. I am looking at a possible bike trip to cover the same period. It's early days but looked at a trip to a warmer country (ie Portugal) and hiring a bike for 5 or so days. However this is very expensive so I might look to use my own bike and start at Calais.

Does anyone have any ideas? Have you done it before? Any recommendations? Advise etc?

Looking at about 7 days in may. Would be good to do it relatively cheaply and catch some decent sights on the way

In case I didn't make it clear. The intention is not to go to Portugal if I use my own bike. I was thinking of across into the Netherlands then down into Germany and back through France.

Moved to the right section!

Portugal and back in 7 days would be a nightmare if you ask me!

The ideal way would be the ferry to Santander (not the bank) Or Bilbao

From Calais and back your talking about 2.5k thats 350 miles a day while its doable its a lot of riding and no sight seeing

You've obviously never been to the Netherlands on a bike. It's flat and the roads are straight, as proved by Dutch bikers when they get anywhere with nice roads, they go mental :D

Cheers fella. Didn't realise that.

I like the sound of your northern France suggestion

Are you looking at doing this on your own or meeting up with the missus?

If on your own head to Germany or France of your bike and forget Portugal :D

No intention of meeting up with the Mrs.

Are you looking at doing this on your own or meeting up with the missus?

If on your own head to Germany or France of your bike and forget Portugal :D

No intention of meeting up with the Mrs.

Then if I was you I would stay a little closer to home and you can plod about and not have to do huge mileage :)

ride to this place and explore the region.

https://www.schlosshotel-neuerburg.de/en/our-house.html

Cheap but excellent hotel just 12 miles from the Luxembourg border and cheap petrol.. an easy days ride from the Tunnel. and by far the best riding you can find north of Paris. (and south of Yorkshire)

2124270328_e7096f035bfa8fc4a607b9935ead4e9d_2000x700.thumb.jpg.9273578127fc747424159a7e22641151.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/whcvtb8yp4c2bhv/Eifel%20Luxembourgl.pdf?dl=0

Neuerberg is a great base. It's 5 or 6 hours from Calais, depending on how long you stop for. Once you're there your spoiled for choice for roads.

Or if you want to move about from place to place, then take a tour round the Eifel, Saarland, and perhaps the Vosges.

Final: keep away from cities and large towns: too much traffic.

ride to this place and explore the region.

https://www.schlosshotel-neuerburg.de/en/our-house.html

Cheap but excellent hotel just 12 miles from the Luxembourg border and cheap petrol.. an easy days ride from the Tunnel. and by far the best riding you can find north of Paris. (and south of Yorkshire)

e7096f035bfa8fc4a607b9935ead4e9d_[2000x700].jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/whcvtb8yp4c2bhv/Eifel%20Luxembourgl.pdf?dl=0

Good lord man, don't tell everybody!

To the OP, for the record I rode to Spain through France 3 years ago and it took around 5 days there and back and we weren't hanging around. I'd take the ferry if I was heading that way again...or just ride to Germany :D