Spain to Netherlands during Pandemic

NemoG

Hi,

I am Stuck in Spain for about 4 months now. I own a place here so it is not as bad as it might sounds but i am from The Netherlands.

The borders will open on the 1st of July the problem is if you fly to the Canary island you might not be allowed back in unless you have a "valid reason" having a 2nd home here doesn't count.

So, instead I plan to drive home.

Here is the plan:

2 days from Huelva to the Frensh Border: https://calimoto.com/calimotour/tour-on-2020-06-16-r-2rHb2vApZH

A week to Drive home: https://calimoto.com/calimotour/esther-ophalen-2020-r-2p9ESRRNgR

I'm working on the way back for later.

I am have driven 9000 KM on this bike in the last 11 months, and this is my first bik so I'll close to double my Distance by the time i get back.

I thought i was super under prepared and have never done anything like this but a few days have past i watched HOURS of youtube videos, i got the route and:

- Big Box on the back

- 2 side boxes (they are ordered should arrive this or next week).(GIVI V35 TECH MONOKEY SIDE SUITCASE)

- tank bag for the Honda NC750X (GIVI EA116 BAG)

- Papers for border crossing & bike ownership + Insurance

- COVID gear like masks, alcohol and disinfection soap.

- Yellow reflector vest in case of emergency (Mandatory by law in France and The Netherlands)

For sleeping, i have not booked anything, i thought I'll see how far I get every day and book some hostel, road motel or air bnb I can't believe it will all be full in a pandamic period.

Any Tips to take into consideration?

I'll leave on the 1st of July

If you are just on the way home, not on a bike trip, then hit the motorways, thats two days ride. You can sleep on a lorry stops along motorway.

I don’t know what is the French political decision for people coming from Spain regarding quarantine etc. If you are just in transit they don’t create any problems. But no stopping in France except for petrol.

For classic moto cruise I don’t think they will be very happy.

Travel into France is currently heavily restricted - all non-essential travel is banned and anyone arriving in the country needs an international travel certificate.

READ ALSO

When will I be able to travel to France again?

What you need to know about Spain’s new quarantine rules for travellers

But the French government is hoping to gradually reopen France's borders to travel from within Europe ahead of the summer, with June 15th set as a possible date for deciding on an initial relaxation.

People arriving into France from Spain are invited to place themselves into a voluntary quarantine, starting on Monday, May 25th.

France is mirroring Spain's quarantine which only arrived to people arriving by air, so anyone driving across the border into France from Spain will not be covered by the quarantine.

Spain and France opened the border yesterday for travel for Tourists due to the impact on the Spanish economy the only border still closed is portugal so I skip that, also I'll leave in 3 weeks from now, after the 1st of July all borders from spain will be open (if current trends continue).

As for sleeping, I dont have a tent so I can sleep on the lorry spots I did bring a compact sleeping bag and pillow for my 40hours on the ferry.

My father drove to Paris 2 weeks ago and he said it was fine (from Amsterdam).

So I'll monitor the news before buying a ticket but it should be alright to get into france.

Shouldn’t be problem, I did travel last week from England to Croatia, with no issues. Tomorrow I am on the way back. I did sleep on a lorry park on the bench in the sleeping bag, no tent,

Now got beach tent, in case of rain to keep me dry as weather for next couple of days is not promising.

Anyway good luck, enjoy your ride. :thumb:

The EU have launched a site called Re-Open EU with up to date information on it, though it doesn't seem to include future plans/changes it still seems a useful tool if you need to know something :thumb:

That is super useful thanks!