Camping in the Uk, yorkshire maybe - kit needed

jedibiker

So the Mrs has bought a bike fzs600. so we are planning a camping trip. Im wondering what kit we need that will fit on 2 bikes. Ive got a small tank bag and a 40litres bag for the back. and where is good to go, doesnt have to be a site.

hope your all ok.

Obviously you will need a tent, don’t get for two people, it’s small. Get for at lest 3 or 4 people, sleeping bag, if u are not used to sleep on hard surface than u need air mattress, self inflated camping mattress are to bulky. If u fancy coffee or tea in the morning, u need camping gas stove, torch,

Thats is, basics

Obviously you will need a tent, don’t get for two people, it’s small. Get for at lest 3 or 4 people, sleeping bag, if u are not used to sleep on hard surface than u need air mattress, self inflated camping mattress are to bulky. If u fancy coffee or tea in the morning, u need camping gas stove, torch,

Thats is, basics

its the cookin food part Im thinking off really. if i go fishing etc i can take large pans and a big stove. but for the bike thats all too much. im good with fires but wouldnt want to break rules anywhere and some places have banned them in the heat for good reason.

Alpkit is good quality and good value

https://alpkit.com/collections/camping-stoves

I have or of their brukits which is great for heating boil in the bag type meals and doing stews. Depends how fancy you want to go with cooking. Look for stuff that nests and has multiple uses. Don't worry too much about weight, you don't particularly feel it on a bike

Get the best of everything you can afford. spending more nearly always means improved comfort and thats important.

Buy cheap buy twice.. and suddenly its not cheap any more.

Buy once.. cry once.

To my mind asking about camping gear and immediately shifting to cooking, is getting it backwards.

Start with first principles. Tent and Sleeping. work out how much space you can afford between the two bikes and look at how you will manage to carry everything. pack sizes. spread between two bikes makes it simpler. But you have to be very disciplined. Once you are past that very first step then its time to move on to the smaller things and again, how they will fit into the space you have and still leave space for other 'necessities'.

Get the best of everything you can afford. spending more nearly always means improved comfort and thats important.

Buy cheap buy twice.. and suddenly its not cheap any more.

Buy once.. cry once.

To my mind asking about camping gear and immediately shifting to cooking, is getting it backwards.

Start with first principles. Tent and Sleeping. work out how much space you can afford between the two bikes and look at how you will manage to carry everything. pack sizes. spread between two bikes makes it simpler. But you have to be very disciplined. Once you are past that very first step then its time to move on to the smaller things and again, how they will fit into the space you have and still leave space for other 'necessities'.

I know what you mean, were not new to camping and we have the tent but I find it terrible not having enough food etc. But i do agree about getting quality. 100% makes a difference

Edited by jedibiker

I presently have one like this:

4par0001_800x.jpg

It fits in a panier just.

Have been pondering something lie this:

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQgs76qKO3TbRTw77qsp64Uhi7Ze-je0IzjEA&usqp=CAU

But they do not look to stable when main use is cuppa morning or night, normally cooed in the kit storage area of tent...

I presently have one like this:

4par0001_800x.jpg

It fits in a panier just.

Have been pondering something lie this:

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQgs76qKO3TbRTw77qsp64Uhi7Ze-je0IzjEA&usqp=CAU

But they do not look to stable when main use is cuppa morning or night, normally cooed in the kit storage area of tent...

I have a Coleman F1 which is similar in design and is very stable, as long as the ground is level but that's the same with any stove. It uses gas canisters. It's over 10 years old and is still going strong after many fishing trips and also being used on bike trips in the UK and Europe.Not sure if they still make them but I'm sure if they don't they'll have an alternative. I'm all about travelling light so the smaller the stove the better. Keeping your cooking set small is also useful, I use a carp fishing setup, there's hundreds on ebay to choose from.

The butane gas canisters are crap when it's cold, they frost up and don't produce enough gas as they such the heat from the tin to boil the gas in the tin, propane mix is better, but I prefer proper propane canisters to the low mix cassette type.

there's hundreds on ebay to choose from.

And the one you think perfect is always at a cost £90

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zebra-Head-Camping-Stainless-Steel/dp/B004DFC1LE/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2?dchild=1&keywords=zebra+14mm+lunch+box&qid=1596903576&sr=8-2-fkmr2

Stoves are stoves...they provide heat. Cooking wise, this is the one I have:

The butane gas canisters are crap when it's cold, they frost up and don't produce enough gas as they such the heat from the tin to boil the gas in the tin, propane mix is better, but I prefer proper propane canisters to the low mix cassette type.

This is why i would get a dual fuel unleaded petrol one, you don't have to carry gas cannisters you just take some out of your tank, and if you are really clever you would use a turkey baster or some other method that is quick and simple :lol: :thumb:

The butane gas canisters are crap when it's cold, they frost up and don't produce enough gas

And that's why of a cold morning on the boat your first pee is on the Gas Bottle in the gas locker, your first brew happens much quicker....

The butane gas canisters are crap when it's cold, they frost up and don't produce enough gas

And that's why of a cold morning on the boat your first pee is on the Gas Bottle in the gas locker, your first brew happens much quicker....

Take propane