My Little Journey - Mod 2 PASSED!!

So here we go.

TL:DR - 3 drops, one broken brake lever, no injuries, but plenty of positive feedback going into my test on Tuesday.

If thats caught your attention then read on at your peril :lol:

Big Bike Mod 1 Training Day

So today was the big bike day, following my CBT yesterday. Specifically looking at Mod 1 training looking at hopefully passing my test on Tuesday.

Big ask for anyone I'd say but I was well up for the challenge, and what a challenge it was in the end...

So to start off in the morning we had a bit of a chat of the thing we need to consider (power, weight etc), suit up and off we go.

For the morning we actually just rode around the roads and got a feel for the bikes. I took quite well to them on the road. We had a chat about counter steering and how it could be useful for the Mod 1 and its somewhat instinctual to riding.

So we reached a quiet section of road and under the watchful eye of our instructor me and the other lad practiced some emergency stops, which I found not nearly as daunting as I'd thought on the big bikes. We repeated this a couple of times then turned in the road to go back the other way...drop.

Performing the U turn I got to the other side of the road and shut the throttle off (I know) and dropped it on my right ankle. Nothing serious, nothing broken. Pick bike up and off we go again.

Heading to the car park for the training went smoothly, handled everything on the roads with no problem and I was improving my clutch work and what not that I had issues with yesterday. We stopped nearby at a little cafe for a brew and a breakfast then went to the car park for some training.

We started with the high speed stuff...

Controlled stop - check

Emergency stop - check

Hazard avoidance - check (eventually)

Onto the slow speed stuff. I knew in myself that this was my weakest area, so I was asking lots of questions and repeating stuff till blue on the face.

I tackled the slalom and figure 8 OK, the slow speed riding was fine too. Went to start practicing some U-turns. Drop.

That's right guys I dropped it again doing the exact same manoeuvre because of the exact same damn thing. Again there was no damage to me or the bike. Picked it up and carried On going straight for another U turn. Perfect. Continued to bang out another 3 on the bounce with no issues.

One final run through each slow speed manoeuvre then stopped for a chat in the sunshine. My instructor said he was confident I can get trough the Mod 1 and that I've demonstrated all the skill and ability to pass and not to let the drops get to me. I felt somewhat proud that I just got back on but at the end of the day they weren't mega offs.

So we headed back to the lock up and we took the scenic route through some lovely (poor) roads. Drop.

Yes. I know. A third drop. A very odd junction, incredibly tight lanes (no larger than one car wide) it was off camber and uphill. I handled it badly from my initial position at the junction but then when I started turning right I'd shut the throttle off and down we went again.

Finally snapped that brake lever. Was utterly sick of it. Good riddance.

The instructor and other lad had continued on and thankfully some lovely man came out of his house and helped me up. I felt alright and rode back OK but I have felt some pain at the top of my back since. I'll come back to these drops shortly.

So. Regroup back at the lock up and have a chat about the day. my instructor was more than happy having me out on the road and he is still confident I can manage the test, providing I do what I know I can do.

A bit of fun though my CBT instructor from yesterday, this morning he said to my new instructor to try and catch me out, but wouldn't say what on (I thought it was the signal cancelling and stayed on top of that all day!) It turns out it was my obs. The new instructor spent every time behind me trying to sneak up on me. Proud to say the little swine didn't.

So the drops, and this is food for thought for anyone in a similar position to me, on the u turns, and this same thing happened on the last drop at the junction. It was 2 mega mistakes.

#1 - Looking at the ground in front of me, not where I wanted the bike to go.

#2 - shutting off the throttle, the clutch was in a perfect position and the control was fine and the rear brake work was fine too. My brain got scared of the no ice and I shut off the throttle and beggared it.

Rookie mistakes I know, but I am a rookie and I keep reminding myself that as of 48 hours ago. couldn't do any of this. Yet two qualified, experienced instructors both think I can pass my Mod 1 on Tuesday and have been awful helpful in answering any stupid questions I've spat out.

So yeah it was a long one, a hard one and a an insightful one. I'm gonna be doing a lot of visualising over the next few days and really trying to remind myself I'm fine and I can do this.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Edited by madcow87

Sounds like an eventful day! Glad you came out of it relatively unscathed.

To try and learn from your mistakes - when you say you closed the throttle off didn't you get the clutch pulled in? When we were doing u turns on the cbt I was told to keep the revs at about 2k and control the speed with the clutch. Did they teach you to do it differently?

Are you back out again tomorrow?

Sounds like an eventful day! Glad you came out of it relatively unscathed.

To try and learn from your mistakes - when you say you closed the throttle off didn't you get the clutch pulled in? When we were doing u turns on the cbt I was told to keep the revs at about 2k and control the speed with the clutch. Did they teach you to do it differently?

Are you back out again tomorrow?

No yeah thats the same thing as I was taught mate. What I was doing was shutting the throttle off when it turning. Meaning no power to pull the bike around and instead just getting really heavy.

The strange thing is that I wasn't doing it in my figure 8 which I'm told was perfectly fine, but for some reason I get to the U turn and switch off. Really gotta be on the ball with it on Tuesday.

Just had an email from my instructor finalizing a few things, and he said in it to have no fear he genuinely believes I can do it. The pessimist in me says he's doing to build the confidence. But I'm going with it. I do think I'll be fine.

And unfortunately I'm not out again tomorrow. Next time I get on the bike will be a quick practice at the test center, then the test.

That's great of the instructor to email you and reassure you. You've had two full on days of learning so it's not a surprise that you've made a couple of mistakes. Good luck on Tuesday, I'm sure you'll nail it but if you don't then you certainly won't be the first to need another go. A single day's training for mod 1 is quite short, the school I'm learning with have said it's 2 days for me, maybe they just think I'll need a bit more training to get through it.

I'm jealous of you though it's been a couple of weeks since I did my CBT and I won't be out again until the 22nd July, it gives me a chance to buy some kit though. I don't want to ride in my air jordans and standard jeans again!

That's great of the instructor to email you and reassure you. You've had two full on days of learning so it's not a surprise that you've made a couple of mistakes. Good luck on Tuesday, I'm sure you'll nail it but if you don't then you certainly won't be the first to need another go. A single day's training for mod 1 is quite short, the school I'm learning with have said it's 2 days for me, maybe they just think I'll need a bit more training to get through it.

I'm jealous of you though it's been a couple of weeks since I did my CBT and I won't be out again until the 22nd July, it gives me a chance to buy some kit though. I don't want to ride in my air jordans and standard jeans again!

Yeah I keep trying to remind myself that I've gone through 2 full on days of riding/learning to ride and that on Friday afternoon I'd never rode a bike on the road or attempted any of this stuff. In the gran scheme of things what I'm doing is probably quite ambitious but you'll never know if you don't try, and I'm confident that I have shown and proved to myself that I can handle all this stuff. I just need to take it one manoeuvre at a time on the day and remember everything that I've learnt. Especially from those drops. :cheers: :cheers:

Thought I'd ask the question in here for anyone that might have read this and be able to offer any input.

So my main hang up has been the U turn and just generally turning right at slow speed. I don't feel nearly as bother by turning left it just seems to be turning right. I've proved to myself that if I feel the bike bogging down I need more power to pull it around not less. But what I feel is that I'm not doing anything with my body to make it easier for myself to drive through, I'm thinking I should maybe be keeping my upper body straighter and looking through where I'm going and hinging myself at the hips to allow the bike to lean under me?

For example, the third time I dropped the bike was at a tight right hand junction. My instructor and the other pupil took the turn fine seemingly in the same position that I was, so what did I do wrong. I'll try and explain the scenario and post a link so people can see it on google maps.

We approached the junction and stopped at the "line" and were preparing to go right. I'd stopped and was safe to go, it was on an incline so I had my foot on the back brake whilst I set off then let off and started trying to turn in, at this point for what ever reason, I panicked (I know that was a mistake) and shut the throttle off losing all power and the bike tipped, with it being on an awkward camber I just fell and dropped it. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.1601613,-3.2019288,3a,75y,3.98h,70.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAHHg0X3GWCUy-rEK6kPedA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Admittedly, looking at that image it doesn't look that bad at all, but there were a lot more parked cars around which made me nervy and the bushes are much more overgrown now so the visibility is shocking around there. (not trying to make excuses for being incompetent :lol: ) So when I approached to turn right around the houses, I stop at the line, should I really had my wheel turned right and the bike leant over to my left? Then when I make the turn should I try to keep by upper body straighter and allow the bike to lean under me, hinging at the hips?

I apologise if that was horribly worded but if anyone can navigate that mess and provide anything for me to think about it'd be massively appreciated!!

I can't help with your question but it's not the nicest of junctions.

Good luck with the test today!

Thanks mate. Been a bag of nerves since Sunday and been awake since 5am this morning but truthfully the nerves are easing right now and I'm feeling good. Hopefully that continues and it'll all come up cricket.

I'll be sure to post later whatever happens.

Good luck.

U turns, the rear brake needs very little pressure it wont pull the back of the bike down to make it more stable, if your pressing it that hard its just going to make everything else so much harder, your going to need more throttle, and have to slip the clutch more, vicious circle, literally.

Slip the clutch to control speed, don't overdo revs, talk to your self as your doing it so you know exactly what your doing it will help with concentration, ohh and relax.

Thanks everyone. Very very happy to say that I passed!

One minor, my front wheel just ran onto the white line a little. But honestly when it happened I spotted it, thought I'd failed and then just completely relaxed and rode on regardless.

Did a little dance when he handed me the certificate!

One telling sign I noticed of how you're going to get on, even at this stage is how you position yourself and how happy you are to wind the throttle open. It shows a lot of confidence if you'll open it up when you need to and if you'll maintain that central road position in town/traffic. If you struggle with these things and go a bit timid at the thought of it, you may need to consider if its the right choice, because 30 on a bike feels a damn sight quicker than 30 in a car!

Just to say, do not let this put anyone off who does struggle.

Because that was me and I remember when 30mph felt stupidly fast, and my positioning still can be much better, but several thousands of miles later I am still riding my stupid wee bike all other the place. Never had driving lessons to compare to a car, but quite often 30mph can now feel incredibly slow.

If a CBT instructor does not think you show enough confidence to be safe they will not take you on the road. And if they do not think you show enough confidence there then they will not pass you*.

Confidence comes with experience, do not be stupid and keep within your abilities and it will come. Maybe some people are just born with it, but others can learn, you do not have to be a natural from your first time on a bike.

* Yes, yes, it is not a test there is no pass. But I am not writing a romance novel so I am not going to say "they will not complete you" just to appease pedants.

Just to say, do not let this put anyone off who does struggle

Oh god no I dont mean to do that,and wouldn't discourage anyone from riding!

Thats something I picked upon from instructors looking specifically at the way I'm going, which is all in one without any previous riding experience.

If you jump on and love it but aren't comfortable with riding fast, absolutely keep it up! My thoughts would be that if that is the case you just need to keep riding and you'll get comfortable with it.

But if you plan on trying to "crash course" the DAS as quickly and efficiently as possible, without any experience in riding its something to bear in mind that examiners will look at that kind of thing.

Congratulations on the pass mate, one minor is a fantastic result! The only questions is, when is the MOD 2 test? :D

Re 30mph feeling really slow and really fast. I've found this in the car too. I'm fortunate to have two cars, a golf gti and a classic mini. The golf can be quite quick but it's very insulative and you can find the speed limit has to be closely observed whereas the mini is loud, very bumpy and has no refinement, I often find myself doing below the speed limit in the mini.

When I got to ride a bike on my CBT 30mph certainly felt very quick when we left the confines of the training ground but after we had done a bit of a blast down a dual carriageway at 70mph residential roads felt a lot lot slower!

Yeah the speed thing I suppose can be tricky like that. Coming home from Mod 1 doing 70 in the car was starting to feel slow till I slowed to 60 then 50 so its always changing no natter what. I've just noted that people jump in on bikes can be timid with the throttle to begin with and its something I personally need to make sure I shrug off before Mod 2.

Speaking off I'm not entirely sure yet, my instructor had 2 lads going straight out on Mod 2 after my Mod 1 so we didnt get chance to chat about it yet.

If I want to do it Locally I think Mid-August is the soonest available, if I want to travel to Carlisle and do it there (like the mod 1) I can probably do it sooner I don't know yet.

But if you plan on trying to "crash course" the DAS as quickly and efficiently as possible, without any experience in riding its something to bear in mind that examiners will look at that kind of thing.

Absolutely. I am also quick to jump on anyone who says to do the DAS straight away when people ask whether to ride a 125 for a bit first, just because it was right for them too. It may be better for many, but it all depends on a person's confidence and learning style. Something only they know, and the only worthwhile advice is from the CBT who saw them on a bike.

On the speed thing, perception of it really does seem to be affected by so many things that the speed seems almost irrelevant. There are times that 30mph, on a tight local road and constantly passing hazards and other objects, can feel faster than 60mph, going through empty field on straight-ish county roads with little moving scenery. Coming home also always feels slower than going out, presumably as you are fully in that riding mindset so more comfortable and your perceptions are quicker. As well as having been on faster roads in between.

It's not that long until mid August but if you know the roads around Carlise then I would be tempted to go there and get it done as soon as possible. I've still got 3 weeks until my mod 1 so you may well have done CBT and both tests in a shorter period than I've managed CBT and mod 1!

top stuff [mention]madcow87[/mention] :cheers:

re the junction... it's a tough one I kinda find you always want to at least go straight whilst you get going, then head up gradual steady increase of speed whilst turning.

but I've passed my test so can hang a foot off for balance :lol:

Thanks Guys I'm a little speechless still to be honest, but just having that little piece of paper is a massive confidence boost!!

So emailing back and forth a little with my instructors last night and the examiner is travelling down to my local test centre at the beginning of August for 2 nights so there's the opportunity there. I've already got the time off (just needed to convince the wife that her birthday was the PERFECT day for me to go for my Mod 2!) so everythings lined up and planned.

2nd August will be my Mod 2 training (which is just riding around town/lanes from what he tells me and making sure I've got the hang of cancelling my indicators), then the test will be in the morning of Friday 4th August.

Fingers crossed!! I'm going to try and post my experience and my feelings from when I was doing my Mod 1 test and I'll share that in the experiences thread too :)

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry guys haven't been able to get on these last few weeks with work and family getting in the way.

Quick post to say I'm nervous as s**t right now. Haven't been on a bike in 4 weeks and I'm about to head off for my training for The mod 2 which is on Friday morning. I'll do my best to get a decent post up tonight and have a browse of the forums now my phone is working again [emoji849]

You'll be fine mate, just take your time, try and take in what your instructor is saying and relax.

Have you got a bike in mind that you would like to have once the test is out of the way?

Hi Madcow.

I had my mod2 this week and felt the same. I guess 99% of people feel some sort of anxiety before any test!

Was nervous in the waiting area, couldn't think straight on the show me tell me questions. When I got on the bike and started moving, the nerves did settle down. Almost started to enjoy it once I knew we were on the way back to the test centre.

Good luck for tomorrow hope it goes well for you.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Well unfortunately with it being my wife's birthday yesterday I never got chance to post anything. However my training day went splendid. Had a really good day and managed to nail everything and felt incredibly comfortable and confident afterwards.

Late on yesterday and this morning I've been very anxious and nervous (this is pretty new to me) so I'm sat waiting with my kids to head out. Leave at 8am so with a bit of luck I can update with the outcome before dinner time [emoji16][emoji16]