Dang clutch!!!

hardleydavidson

Hi,

I have a small 50cc 4 stroke bike with a very annoying clutch problem. The clutch simply won't engage, I can start the bike up pull in the clutch and stick it in 1st at which point I'll be rocketed forward as the clutch isn't doing anything. At first I thought it might be an adjustment issue, I've adjusted it for hours with no luck, stuck clutch plates? I thought, so I opened it up, removed the clutch disassembled the clutch and the plates are fine not stuck at all, reassembled and it still doesn't work. For the life of me I can't figure out why it's not working, the actuator arm is moving and doing it's job, everything is free and moving as it should.

Any ideas?

What bike?

Any recent work ?

Was it working perfectly and then this just happened ?

To be honest as it will allow you to select a gear i will pre say it is an adjustment issue ( some bikes have two cable adjusters ...one on the handlebar end and one on the engine end and some then have an adjustment in the engine/clutch mechanism

Hi, It's a Chinese Kinroad XT50 QT-2 with an FMB139 engine, I know a lot of folk have said bad things about Chinese bikes but to be honest they were being nice, it's far worse than even they make out. At least it keeps me occupied.

It was working fine, there has been a lot of work done on it, new tank, fuel lines, bars, indicators, rear fender and clutch and brake levers. At first I thought it was the lever, but taking the clutch cover off I can see the actuator moving in and out as before. I've adjusted it quarter turns from all the way in to all the way out with no luck.

No this is the 'chopper' version, 4-stroke with straight 4 gearing like this....

http://mesters-motor-shop.dk/images/19218002_1-p.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good on ya kid, you must have some sense of humour.

Put the old lever on and adjust it correctly ...

See if it works

The new lever may not be transferring enough pull to the clutch system .

Common issue with non compatible cosmetic upgrade generic parts

Hi,

I have a small 50cc 4 stroke bike with a very annoying clutch problem. The clutch simply won't engage, I can start the bike up pull in the clutch and stick it in 1st at which point I'll be rocketed forward as the clutch isn't doing anything. At first I thought it might be an adjustment issue, I've adjusted it for hours with no luck, stuck clutch plates? I thought, so I opened it up, removed the clutch disassembled the clutch and the plates are fine not stuck at all, reassembled and it still doesn't work. For the life of me I can't figure out why it's not working, the actuator arm is moving and doing it's job, everything is free and moving as it should.

Any ideas?

You mean disengage surely?

No this is the 'chopper' version, 4-stroke with straight 4 gearing like this....

Now if you shoe horned an ER5 engine in there.....

It would still be f***ing hilarious!

It would still be f***ing hilarious!

There's nothing new http://i.imgur.com/uA6HMm6.png

Great username! Love it [emoji106]

As said try putting the original lever back on, was it after fitting new levers when your troubles started?

A mate of mine fitted cheap CNC eBay levers to his Chinese bike & ended up cutting part of the bracket out as the new lever fouled it and wasn't giving enough throw to disengage the clutch.

Could well be, it's been a while since I fitted it (and had the problem) as I had to replace the tank and re-route the fuel line which took a while. I'll give it a go this weekend. The replacement lever is in fact one of the cheap chinese ebay jobs, kinda hoping that's all it is.

wind the adjuster at the handlebar right in so its slack then on the adjuster at the pushrod of the clutch if it is slack loosen lock nut tighten screw until you just feel resistance on the screw then turn back 1/4 turn lock off the lock nut and then adjust the free play up at the lever and see what happens