Please tell me its nothing worse!

TunnelEyes

For a short while the bike has had a couple issues starting, primarily after short journeys. Followed by medium length journeys too. Followed by I've-now-been-bumping-it-for-a-week. Before, after a couple of failed attempts at bumping it would then start on the switch, but now it's bump or nothing. Only noise made by the ignition is a click. Is this sounding battery or starter motor? Have a new battery regardless as I did leave it to sit Sept-March without starting it once so probably would benefit a new one anyway, but a few people have suggested starter motor issues? If so are these expensive to fix? :/

Very often all you need to do is open up the starter motor and give everything a good clean but this is not a job for a beginner. You can't just unbolt it without first removing the engine side cover to get at the cog or sprocket that drives the crank. Then you should fit a fresh gasket. There's bound to be a youtube video on it.

Very often all you need to do is open up the starter motor and give everything a good clean but this is not a job for a beginner. You can't just unbolt it without first removing the engine side cover to get at the cog or sprocket that drives the crank. Then you should fit a fresh gasket. There's bound to be a youtube video on it.

I've got it booked for a service 19th, do you think it would cost much?

Sorry, I've no idea what mechanics charge per hour these days. The cost of parts depends on wether they use genuine Honda or not . There are millions of Chinese CG lookalikes out there so replica parts are cheap but it is up to your mechanic. I know that Wemoto do starter motor service kits for some bikes so worth a look.http://i.imgur.com/9mT6tV0.png

You're getting ahead of yourself IMO and worrying for nothing, get a new battery first and 99 times out of a hundred there will be no problem with the starter motor. If you have bad luck and it is the starter motor, then cross that bridge when and IF you come to it.

It's the battery. Yours is tiny and ran low on charge, too low, now it isn't storing charge as you ride.

The click is the sound of the starter motor unable to turn over.

Shove a multimeter across the battery terminals. Set it to 20V DC (that'll be the one without the wavy lines). Look at the reading as you depress the starter button - the reading will drop way below 12.4Volt...your battery is buggered.

Go fit a new one, Motobatt tends to retain charge better imo. Enjoy riding without pushing the bike first. :thumb:

+1 on what Mawsley said. The battery in my CG is utterly friggin' useless, leave it for a few weeks (as I often do) and it's completely and utterly dead. I guess you can't expect too much when it's the size of a 20 pack?

If mine didn't have a kick start I'd be replacing the damn thing every time I rode the bike.

If you can afford to buy a battery you can afford a multimeter - £9.29 in Screwfix

http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-mas830b-digital-multimeter-600v/75337?kpid=75337&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%2520Listing%2520Ads-_-Sales%2520Tracking-_-sales%2520tracking%2520url&gclid=Cj0KEQjw-ezKBRCGwqyK0rHzmvkBEiQAu-_-LCLR2hydt-9LDmzNo3_UXpkMV2Bg4K7rrdnZjvbdiRYaApJt8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=COz_tZGg79QCFVK6GwodLL8JAg

Electricity isn't that tough - and when combined with YouTube, fault finding a starting problem using a multimeter is child's play.

This nine quid will tell you if I'm correct about the battery, before you buy a battery. As my wife, my kids, and everybody who's ever met me will tell you, I'm frequently wrong. :thumb:

Mine did that too friend charges it and next day did it again. Started to worry so got it checked out and was just the battery. Try a new one and then get a mechanic.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!? You don't need a MECHANIC for a CG125 :lol:

You do when you're totally clueless, pushed for time and have minimal support haha xD I have no back up form of transport, nobody in my family drives and both jobs are a fair commute and public transport would eat up most of what I earn without the bike :(

You do when you're totally clueless, pushed for time and have minimal support haha xD I have no back up form of transport, nobody in my family drives and both jobs are a fair commute and public transport would eat up most of what I earn without the bike :(

BEHOLD, THE HOLY GRAIL OF CG OWNERSHIP

But seriously though if you run into anything that isn't covered on there, let me know and I can probably help a bit. I've needlessly dismantled and rebuilt mine several times over now :lol:

if rant can fix one anyone can :mrgreen:

EXACTLY the logic used when I bought it :lol:

I read a review and it said something about the CG being designed for the 3rd world market and to handle all the abuse that comes with it, and I thought "YUP that'll do".

Kwak gets taken to the stealership for work, the Honda gets the Motorbike Mengele treatment.

BEHOLD, THE HOLY GRAIL OF CG OWNERSHIP

But seriously though if you run into anything that isn't covered on there, let me know and I can probably help a bit. I've needlessly dismantled and rebuilt mine several times over now :lol:

Thank you :D

I want a CG to mess about with, but I don't want to pay more than £200 for one. :lol:

Just mess about with yours!

I don't wanna do something that puts me off the road for a week or two :lol:

I want a CG to mess about with, but I don't want to pay more than £200 for one. :lol:

Just mess about with yours!

I don't wanna do something that puts me off the road for a week or two :lol:

Just don't use the torque wrench and you will be fine :P

I am sure the advise replacing the battery is right. But once you have a new battery you want to keep it up on charge. For tiny batteries like the CG get a plug in 12v charger for a gell cell, about 400Ma. When you're not riding daily just put that on the battery and it will keep it topped up.