Ladies. Why are you so bad at passing mod 1?

I've just been looking at the data for bike tests and pass rates - I'm slightly concerned that the test centre used by my examiner has lower pass rates than 2 other test centres in the area (10% more passes).

However, the thing that really jumped out at me was that far more women than men fail mod 1. It clearly isn't about ability since the pass rates for men and women for mod 2 are very similar.

There is clearly something about mod1 that causes problems for women, if we could identify what that might be then we could come up with some sort of plan to help bring that pass rate up - or at least help prepare better.

So ladies, whats the issue? Is it confidence? experience? what aspects are you failing on?

It's well proven that men outperform women at visual-spatial ability, hand-eye co-ordination and mathematical reasoning, whereas women do better in memory and language use.

Men and women are wired differently and have different cognitive abilities, though IQ is much the same. Men also range wider in ability, why most geniuses are men, but also why some of the stupidest on the planet are also men, women are more consistent in their abilities. Women's cognitive abilities also vary with the menstrual cycle and during pregnancy.

There are more left brain men who are logical, analytical, and objective, there are more right brain women who are intuitive, thoughtful, and subjective.

At the end of the day the dynamics and machine control of riding a motorbike and driving a car are skills that favour men more than they do women. There are of course exceptions, the likes of Sabine Schmitz might come to mind, but when you are looking at Mod 1 test pass rates, you are seeing a generalisation.

Women generate less accident statistics though, as statistics are driven by injuries and women are more intuitive and thoughtful and hence more careful. Less testosterone also means less tenancy to take silly risks. Women actually have more accidents that result in no injuries though, like reversing into a lamp post for instance, back to that spatial ability again. But statistically, women are safer riders and drivers.

Mod 1 measures machine control, Mod 2 measures how safe you are on the road.

Do women have a higher pass rate on the theory test?

Its cause they are worrying about getting home in time to make sure thier better Halfs dinner will be on the table and that there are no less than six cans of Stella in the fridge .

women are safer riders and drivers.

I should have caveat that by saying, safer, but not necessarily "better".

It depends what you are trying to achieve. If it's the fastest lap you are better with a man, there are no women competing in top level Formula 1 or Moto GP. If it's getting your kids from A to B safely, probably better getting a woman to do it.

In theory.

In reality too, it's been measured and studied to death how real mean and women perform, but as I said it's a generalisation like the results of any research, and there will be exceptions to the rule.

Do women have a higher pass rate on the theory test?

In theory.

In reality too, it's been measured and studied to death how real mean and women perform, but as I said it's a generalisation like the results of any research, and there will be exceptions to the rule.

I mean it was a shit joke but I at least expected Hoggs posting the sarcastic drumroll monkey Gif :lol:

Or is it cause they are to busy thinking about the hotel room they've boooked .. and shunning thier responsibility as a mod ...

Which by the way is something I would never do .

Or is it cause they are to busy thinking about the hotel room they've boooked .. and shunning thier responsibility as a mod ...

Quite probably as part of an illicit affair with an admin from BCF... :seeya:

I'm not at the mod1 stage yet, but I have wondered if the size of the generic "mod1" school bike has anything to do with it. A fair few of us ladies are on the shorter side... trying to do tight turns and such on a bigger bike that we've not had much experience of after a 125.

It has been a concern of mine tbh, the 125 is fine, but they did say I may find the bigger bike difficult if I was 5'3" or under - I'm 5'4" ;) The difference psychologically between knowing that you can just stick a foot down and "fail, but hey ho", as opposed to not having that much of a safety net?

Who knows. They were my first thoughts about the mod1 logistics though.

I'm not at the mod1 stage yet, but I have wondered if the size of the generic "mod1" school bike has anything to do with it. A fair few of us ladies are on the shorter side... trying to do tight turns and such on a bigger bike that we've not had much experience of after a 125.

It has been a concern of mine tbh, the 125 is fine, but they did say I may find the bigger bike difficult if I was 5'3" or under - I'm 5'4" ;) The difference psychologically between knowing that you can just stick a foot down and "fail, but hey ho", as opposed to not having that much of a safety net?

Bigger bikes are usually easier to do mod 1 manoeuvres on as they have a lower centre of gravity, and compared to something like a CG125 you sit in the saddle not on top of it, so the seat to floor distance is actually less. Perhaps if you learned on a VanVan that's not the case, but many 125's are quite tall and top heavy.

Instructors on a power trip. They enjoy watching the woman's dreams shattered when they fail and then really enjoy watching them jump for joy when they pass

:yay: :yay:

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/oh-shi.gif

Edit - What is this shit?

Oi Stu! I wanna post the Maymays!

Stats dont have figures for pass rates of badgers. Should I raise a FOI request?

Thats a good point.

Size isn't just about seat height. For mod1 and the slow manoeuvres then the bars and arm reach come into it as well. If you are of smaller stature then is that an issue?

I was really trying not to go down the sexist route on this. I am genuinely interested in why there is such a huge difference in pass rates.

For anyone interested https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/motorcycle-riding-test-data-by-test-centre

In my opinion, from recently doing mod 1 and being a women... I suspect a lot of it is to do with confidence.

Before mod1 you have probably only been on the bigger bike for 1 lesson (maybe 2/4hrs?), it's physically much bigger than a 125, plus unlike CBT, MOD1 is very like sitting an exam. In a fenced off area where you probably have never been before, man with a hi-vis jacket and clip boards watching your every move.

By the time you go do Mod 2, you've have another few lessons to get used to the bike, been around most of the roads you are likely to get on your test, can easily ignore the examiner as you wont really see them.

Generally women are less confident doing things for the first time than men. So the extra time spent on the bike between mod 1 and 2, and the fact mod2 is pretty much like being out on your own/with the instructor helps.

I'm a confident person, and had no bother with either exams. :)

In my opinion, from recently doing mod 1 and being a women... I suspect a lot of it is to do with confidence.

Before mod1 you have probably only been on the bigger bike for 1 lesson (maybe 2/4hrs?), it's physically much bigger than a 125, plus unlike CBT, MOD1 is very like sitting an exam. In a fenced off area where you probably have never been before, man with a hi-vis jacket and clip boards watching your every move.

By the time you go do Mod 2, you've have another few lessons to get used to the bike, been around most of the roads you are likely to get on your test, can easily ignore the examiner as you wont really see them.

Generally women are less confident doing things for the first time than men. So the extra time spent on the bike between mod 1 and 2, and the fact mod2 is pretty much like being out on your own/with the instructor helps.

I'm a confident person, and had no bother with either exams. :)

Do you think that is a fairly common way of approaching things? I had 2 lessons on a 125 then went onto the 650. My instructor doesnt seem to put people up for mod1 until he thinks they are ready for both mod1 and mod2. Looking at his facebook feed people seem to do mod1 then mod2 1 or 2 weeks later. He also books a 2 hour practice session on the test pad for a couple of students at a time on Saturdays - I thought that must be a common approach since when I did it there were other instructors doing the same thing both before and after us.

I was riding a 125 before/during doing my full licence so I might be a "different case" rather than normal DAS.

I had a conversation lesson (half 125 half 650) plus a lesson on the test pad before doing mod 1. Total about 3hrs on the 650.

For mod 2 I took 2 "official" lessons, so 4hrs. But in reality the instructor let me come out while them while they were teaching other mod 2's, so I probably had about 10hrs on the bike, which was different to the MOD1 bike btw.

I'm not sure what is "normal" for he rest of the country.

I think it's because they're thinking about doing the washing up rather than dodging that cone at 32 mph :mrgreen:. Bite please.

Or enjoying the vibrations too much to care?