I like to plan a route to where I am going rather than let the sat nav decide!

Me too, that's why I look at a map, think 'hmm, I'll ride there then there'. Then get on the bike and ride. 8-) :lol:

yeah but some of us are shit at remembering which roads looked good on the map especially when they are a good few hours ride before you get to them :lol:

I've had proper anger moments at my phone nav but it was mainly due to me not quite setting stuff up properly.

As I mainly lead rides I need a route from A to B that I've planned before it works fine.

Totally agree on the 300 quid comment [mention]Baloo[/mention] couldn't justify the outlay and tbf for what I need phone nav is fine

I would have been happy if mine cost me £300 :shock:

I have a Garmin zumo 590 which was the latest Garmin at the time and I got it on offer for £430 :shock: the latest one now is around £540 :?

The tomtom has always been cheaper and I must admit the routing on my old tomtom around cities is better than the Garmin!

Pick up a brand new TomTom Rider 400 now for 265 quid. I've always preferred the TomTom software to the Garmin and the motorcycle road route planning is great.

You couldn't at the time I bought mine though they where not far off the zumo but never had some of the features that zumo had but software updates later and its got some of those features now!

Its only around cities the zumo can be a problem but I am comparing it to my old rider v1 I am not sure what the new tomtom is like! it does all depend on routing settings too as to what sort of route you get near a city!

Old Nokia phones with a keypad worked fine at sending texts, making phone calls and playing snake or Tetris.

I get a new satnav.....er, I mean phone, every 2 years...... :wink:

Tried the free demo of co-pilot on a run out today, and have to say the spoken directions were better than Google's - was a bit more refined in how and when they were given, and I like that it's possible to tweak the settings for how they're provided too.

Keen to see what it's like when on the bars with the additional visual information too, but in my pocket it worked pretty well. I liked that I could keep Google's familiar voice as the one directing me too! :lol:

I'm led to believe it has an audible warning if you were to exceed a speed limit, which could, in theory, be useful. Not very often I accidentally speed though. :angel12:

I use CoPilot on an old phone.......worked fine for the last 5 years or so...... :wink:

I do now have a surplus Note 4 which I was going to sell, but perhaps keeping it for this purpose would be a good idea. Means I'd still have my actual phone if needed, and I wouldn't be quite so precious about the one being used for navigation. Hmmm.

[mention]Lateralus[/mention] that would be a top idea saves you paying out for a sat nav and the note has a decent sized screen too

There is a lot of people that actually use tablets as a sat nav on bikes! so your not far off that with the note :lol: :lol:

Look at rooting it and removing all the junk you don't need so it will run faster etc

Or sell it and buy a sat nav :lol:

I bought a Garmin Zumo 340LM last year after using the phone/headphone method for a few years. I'd never go back to using a phone as a sat nav. The Garmin is fully waterproof and visible during downpours (no need for a waterproof cover), glove friendly, lifetime map updates, many more features than phone based sat navs, editable routes using Basecamp etc etc. When riding I don't have to stop and adjust a route on a phone, I do it on the fly which is much more convenient. There's no comparison with a phone based satnav IMO.

I bought a Garmin Zumo 340LM last year after using the phone/headphone method for a few years. I'd never go back to using a phone as a sat nav.

There's no comparison with a phone based satnav IMO.

I don't think I've ever read a forum post where somebody said they would go back. Read hundreds that say they'd never go back.

Iphone + Headphones + USB Power pack / USB socket mounted to handle bars.

Simples!

I not to long ago rode from Sheffield to Leicester (avoiding motorways) phone died by the time I got to Nottingham but with a power pack jobs a good un.

USB sockets can be had off Ebay <£5 or if your really cheap and can be bothered to wait £1-2 from China :wink:

I know I only ride a 125 but I think half these bike accessories are pointless! Reminds me of RIpseed products from Halfrauds.

No matter what bike I ever get you will never catch me paying for a bike sat nav, heated grips etc etc

I'm led to believe it has an audible warning if you were to exceed a speed limit, which could, in theory, be useful. Not very often I accidentally speed though. :angel12:

mine bongs at me if I go over a certain % over the limit. or it did before I turned it off :lol:

I used my phone as s sat nav for ages. Started off with copilot but as you couldn't ask it to totally avoid motorways no matter what, I switched to Here maps. It was a good sat nav but then they updated it and it kept crashing. Moved to the Tomtom app and paid for a years subscription. Worked faultlessly and got me to loads of places around the uk. Both on bike and in cars/vans.

So I thought I would bite the bullet and buy a Tomtom 410.

It's a great bit of kit and had some very good features. Like the choice of great motorcycle rides in the UK and Europe.

But...

It needs a phone connected to it to get live traffic. This works how it should. However, the phone call quality through the tomtom connected to my schuberth src pro was really dog shit.

I swapped the src pro for the sena 10u for schuberth helmets. Was better but still not as clear as having the phone connected to the helmet. Also tomtom doesn't support music being played through it. So, if like me, you like listening to music in your lid on long trips, it's a downer on the system.

So, I toyed with the idea of sending it back but really like the ease of the unit.

After much searching to find a work around I decided to forget it and get pished. Went to tesco to grab some lubricant for the soul and spotted a smart phone on pay as you go for £25.

Bingo! I bought the bike it's own phone. It shares its data with the tomtom and lives permanently under the pillion seat.

As my helmet can connect to a sat nav and a phone, I have my phone connected for music and phone calls.

This might seem like a ball ache to most of you but I do a lot of miles on the bike so it was worth it for me.

I used my phone as s sat nav for ages. Started off with copilot but as you couldn't ask it to totally avoid motorways no matter what, I switched to Here maps. It was a good sat nav but then they updated it and it kept crashing. Moved to the Tomtom app and paid for a years subscription. Worked faultlessly and got me to loads of places around the uk. Both on bike and in cars/vans.

So I thought I would bite the bullet and buy a Tomtom 410.

It's a great bit of kit and had some very good features. Like the choice of great motorcycle rides in the UK and Europe.

But...

It needs a phone connected to it to get live traffic. This works how it should. However, the phone call quality through the tomtom connected to my schuberth src pro was really dog shit.

I swapped the src pro for the sena 10u for schuberth helmets. Was better but still not as clear as having the phone connected to the helmet. Also tomtom doesn't support music being played through it. So, if like me, you like listening to music in your lid on long trips, it's a downer on the system.

So, I toyed with the idea of sending it back but really like the ease of the unit.

After much searching to find a work around I decided to forget it and get pished. Went to tesco to grab some lubricant for the soul and spotted a smart phone on pay as you go for £25.

Bingo! I bought the bike it's own phone. It shares its data with the tomtom and lives permanently under the pillion seat.

As my helmet can connect to a sat nav and a phone, I have my phone connected for music and phone calls.

This might seem like a ball ache to most of you but I do a lot of miles on the bike so it was worth it for me.

The Garmin is the same for the traffic although I don't use that feature! I should try it out really!

As for phone calls I can have really clear calls at stupid speeds! and play music too either through the phone over bluetooth connected via usb or with a line out also MP3 players etc can be hooked up or you can use a memory card in the sat nav I also believe the wife can connect with her headset and hear the music. It was these features that swayed it for me to get the Garmin! only to realise that I don't really listen to that much music :lol:

Looks like the garmin wins then!

I should have gone with my gut and got a garmin. Always used their gear in boats.

There's a new tomtom out, we got a few in work. Will check out if they have fixed any issues. :thumb:

Well while it may be a win for Garmin in that department they do lose out in others :wink:

The routing can be better on the TomTom and after all that's what the unit is designed for :lol: also the price of the TomTom is a big plus!

Yeah, I like music on long slogs too, so would be erring towards the Garmin, but the extra cost is actually just another tick for the phone!

My headset can only connect to one Bluetooth device at a time, but the phone is easily controlled by voice commands.

....yeah, phone is winning this one!

Will put the saved money towards a centre stand!

Yeah, I like music on long slogs too, so would be erring towards the Garmin, but the extra cost is actually just another tick for the phone!

My headset can only connect to one Bluetooth device at a time, but the phone is easily controlled by voice commands.

Give me a shout on a price for the centre stand. :thumb:

I only connect to one device with my headset and thats the sat nav then the phone is through the sat nav :lol:

That way the phone stays out the way nice and dry in the top box, tank bag or pocket 8-)

No matter what bike I ever get you will never catch me paying for a bike sat nav

Seen lots of forum posts that say this too, which is why those people will never know why the sat nav is so much better. :lol:

But if they are happy with what they get from using a phone, it's all good. :thumb: