Motorbike usb cable

Mgrhiki

Hi guys i recieve usb cable for motorbike today just wondering will it drain battery if i dnt remove fuse?or it should be fine if i m not charging anything?5fc41887cf080e571e4518db6169d0ee.jpgba7ab1bf528a87389e9001eb0c6ba629.jpgc406932708478c94e44ffa15b9b01910.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

You got no off switch on that image - so 'yes' it will drain the battery unless you wire it into part of the loom that goes dead, like the headlight dip beam.

If the bike is being ridden frequently it won't matter, if it's being left standing but on trickle then again no problem.

It will draw a small current even with nothing plugged in as it will still be working to convert 12v to 5v.

If you left it long enough it would flatten your battery.

Thanks for the reply guys at the moment what i am doing is i keep fuse under my seat so when i need to charge something i put back the fuse.thanks for help

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

If there's nothing plugged then no it won't. I have a USB adapter directly connected to my bike's battery along with a Garmin sat nav mount. Neither have caused my battery to drain.

Interesting... I plugged one of these cables into my DIN socket a couple of weeks ago, left the bike for a few days, and when I next looked, the battery was a flat as the Fens. I still can't work out if it was the plug what did it, or whether I'd somehow managed to leave the Sat Nav powered on.

+1 on the fact if there is not a USB cable in there it shouldn't be converting 12v - 5v.

This is what I will be getting:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Waterproof-Motorcycle-Motorbike-USB-GPS-Phone-Charger-Power-Socket-Outlet/152553932410?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

+1 on the fact if there is not a USB cable in there it shouldn't be converting 12v - 5v.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Waterproof-Motorcycle-Motorbike-USB-GPS-Phone-Charger-Power-Socket-Outlet/152553932410?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

You really think a cheap Chinese usb cable has the additional circuitry to only start drawing current when a device is connected??

You really think a cheap Chinese usb cable has the additional circuitry to only start drawing current when a device is connected??

I remain hopeful :roll:

Buy a really switch and wire it up so that usb is only powered up when the bike is switched on. Easy enough to do and ensures zero current draw whilst the bike is not running.

https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=62983

Nice job you have done there, but if you look at my bike I don't have that much room for any more electrics (well I do but i hardly have any storage space as it is) and I am 99% certain it will end up on a day MOT with just a brake light + horn.

I am 99% certain it will end up on a day MOT with just a brake light + horn.

You don't need a brake light chum.

See what I did there? Decreased your electric shiz by 50% in the blink of an eye. ;-)

I am 99% certain it will end up on a day MOT with just a brake light + horn.

You don't need a brake light chum.

See what I did there? Decreased your electric shiz by 50% in the blink of an eye. ;-)

Haha good one, but seriously though I have been researching this for last the few days now and I am getting different answers from different forums. A lot of people say its ALL lights working or NO lights at all but then others have said a brake light is required. Some people say a reflector is and some say it isn't.

Either way I would prefer to have a brake light than using a hand signal every time I want to slow down as it does raise the question if someone went into the back of me because of no brake light is that my fault?

Edited by Jamie125

Keep all the lights and pass your test and get a new bike.

Learner rider with no experience on the road with no lights and no indicators to practice using isn't going to put you in a good position to pass your test

Keep all the lights and pass your test and get a new bike.

Learner rider with no experience on the road with no lights and no indicators to practice using isn't going to put you in a good position to pass your test

I do see what your saying, i'm not totally inexperienced in riding bikes, I have never attempted to sit on my back wheel like most of the people I see and have on camera :lol:

I'm gonna keep this bike until I get my first years NCB then go for my full test and finally get my dream bike a GK76A :twisted:

Just so I don't end up hijacking this guys thread

https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64250

erm. if it has nothing plugged into it.. like a phone or sat nav. then how on earth can it drain a battery?

I'm guessing Joe's post has answered this question?

Not really... my own experience with the USB cable i have on my bike.. thats been there since 2012 i think.. says: no.. it doesn't effect the battery at all. The bike stood for almost 6 months this past winter SORN... as it has every winter since i bought the 800.

I dont have a tester.. but it would be interesting to know what the draw from one of these things when not in use actually is.

Can't find any data on these, but unless there is a physical switch the USB will always be on and draw a small amount of current. That will vary depending on the efficiency of the unit. Also a larger capacity battery will take longer to run down so in general use it should be ok, though I feed mine through a relay ignition controlled.

Looking at other devices with USB's embedded, eg a 230 volt socket, these give a power rating of 0.23 watts consumed with Nothing connected.

A side light is 5 watts.

If you have a tank, feeding a 12mm pipe, then a valve to regulate pressure, then a 5mm pipe, then a tap. It's only when you open the tap to release water from the 5mm pipe, that any water flows through the 12mm pipe.

Is current on a wire any different to fliud in a pipe? If you are not drawing any, where is it going to go?

In the valve you could have a leak, meaning water flows in the 12mm pipe, but you'll get a drip from the valve, because that water has to go somewhere.

The Law of Conservation of Energy, current can be neither created nor destroyed, it can only be converted.

Electrical currrent could be converted into heat, light, magnetic field, etc, etc.

So to say the USB socket is drawing current despite nothing being powered from it, then you have to be able to explain what that energy is being converted into.

Please tell me what that is, and prove some evidence to back up your theory?

If you have a tank, feeding a 12mm pipe, then a valve to regulate pressure, then a 5mm pipe, then a tap. It's only when you open the tap to release water from the 5mm pipe, that any water flows through the 12mm pipe.

Is current on a wire any different to fliud in a pipe? If you are not drawing any, where is it going to go?

In the valve you could have a leak, meaning water flows in the 12mm pipe, but you'll get a drip from the valve, because that water has to go somewhere.

The Law of Conservation of Energy, current can be neither created nor destroyed, it can only be converted.

Electrical currrent could be converted into heat, light, magnetic field, etc, etc.

So to say the USB socket is drawing current despite nothing being powered from it, then you have to be able to explain what that energy is being converted into.

Do these things get hot when they are not in use?

Please tell me what that is, and prove some evidence to back up your theory?