Module 2 - members test experiences

As others have said depends on the examiner and the mood their in on the day also the day I passed I was the last test of the day for my examiner the last of 7 three others from my school and three from another school when I got to the test centre 5 had passed and one was out on test he got back and he told us he had failed I can't remember what on but it was his 2nd mod 2 failure and he is an ambulance driver and has been for the last 12 years but also just about most of my test was uneventful till about a minute before the end approaching a cross road and something told me to slow down a bit sooner than I had in practice rides and just as well I did as a car cut the corner doing about 40 in a 30 zone and even the examiner had a heart attack as he honestly said he thought I had handled it better than a lot of more experienced riders would have and that is why he passed my in the end when he was doing the paperwork

I have my third Mod 2 test booked for next week, the 27th in Bexhill.

I've had enough now so it will defiantly be the last time whatever the outcome.

Each of us have our own experiences and opinions and in my experience and opinion, it's a money making racket with little or no consistency, moody examiners and "some" up themselves instructors.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so finally I've passed MOD 2 and had a very nice examiner in Burgess Hill called Nick.

Since failing in Enfield (examiner: Mark J) for doing 24 in a 20 limit, I've done a bit of digging.

First I spoke to two traffic police persons in the MET and both said they felt that was unrealistic.

So then I called the local council who told me that the 20mph limit is only an advisory limit suggested by the council and not a legal limit.

So Mark J at Enfield testing Center, you need to be re-tested on your local and Highway Code knowledge and in my opinion, until then, you are not sufficiently qualified to examin.

Ok so finally I've passed MOD 2 and had a very nice examiner in Burgess Hill called Nick.

Since failing in Enfield (examiner: Mark J) for doing 24 in a 20 limit, I've done a bit of digging.

First I spoke to two traffic police persons in the MET and both said they felt that was unrealistic.

So then I called the local council who told me that the 20mph limit is only an advisory limit suggested by the council and not a legal limit.

So Mark J at Enfield testing Center, you need to be re-tested on your local and Highway Code knowledge and in my opinion, until then, you are not sufficiently qualified to examin.

Well done on the pass!! But that's got to be worth some compensation surely!!

Small claims court for failing to provide the service you paid for, compensation for test fees, bike rental, and lost day of work..

Go on, sue the buggers! Haha

Well done on the pass mr old and your previous examiner sounds like a bit of a prat putting it politely and should have took you around the whole route as that is what you had paid for so take him to court for not providing the services paid for

Hi all -

This is my first post on this forum but I felt compelled to add to the list of Module 2 experiences as like many new riders I read through almost every post, feeling everyone's highs and lows, taking on useful bits of advice, feeling reassured and feeling really nervous in equal measures.

I promise this is a Module 2 Experience story. I may at times waffle on a bit but I promise it's all relevant. And I hope it may give you a chuckle and a glimmer of hope when you feel there is none!............

I did my CBT 12 months ago and not being a car driver it was my only mode of transport. I immediately loved biking and bought myself a Yamaha YBR 125 to do my 40 mile round trip daily commute. Needless to say doing this sort of mileage on a small bike soon became a huge pain in the ass, so at the start of March I started training for my unrestricted A licence with the local school.

I passed my Mod1 with 1 minor (despite being convinced I was going to put my foot down on the dreaded u-turn). So I booked in my Mod2 test which would give me 2 weeks to train. The guys at the training school thought 1 full day on the road the day before the test would be enough for me, so I booked 2 days off work and waited patiently.

The night before my training day (two days before my test) I was soaking in the bath when there was an urgent knock on the door - my wife has locked herself out. I jumped out of the bath and hurried to open the door. Unfortunately, my wet feet slipped effortlessly on the newly waxed wooden floor; sending my naked 18 stone frame briefly airborne, before heading directly downwards towards an uncarpeted flight of stairs. Time seemed to freeze long enough for me to assess my options. Unfortunately the option I took was to grab awkwardly at my minuscule handrail. God then pressed the play button again and everything sped up.

I heard a ripping in my shoulder as it rotated in a "unconventional" direction. Followed by a shuddering thud as my lower back and rear connected with the wooden stairs. My momentum picked up steadily down the staircase until my decent was halted quickly but my toes meeting the front door head on.

"Oh bother!". I think I may have said loudly.

I remained prone, scanning myself for damage like a re-booted laptop. Nothing was broken and no blood, so I picked myself up but then realised I couldn't lift my left arm without a searing pain shooting down my whole arm. I also couldn't walk without appearing like I'd just soiled myself. The remainder of the evening was spent with a bag of peas on my shoulder and some frozen chips acting as a lumbar support.

I woke the next morning stiffer and in more pain than the night before. Thanks to a combination of adrenaline, ibuprofen and caffeine I managed to make it to the training centre and take part in a full days on road practice. There was a slight hitch in that I had to lift my left on to the handlebars using my right arm (imagine if Rod Hull was mounting a bike) as I had no strength to do so. Oddly though once I was riding it was fine - I just couldn't move my arm up and down or take it off the left grip.

The practice day was fine, my instructors only concern being my total lack of local road knowledge. However, he told me that I'd be fine as the examiner would be in complete contact via radio for the whole test - so don't worry.

Test morning! Even stiffer, but there was no way I was going to cancel. Got to the test centre to meet my instructor and two candidates I'd been training with, who had both just passed (no pressure then!). I then noticed a fuss going on the in the car park. Five minutes before my test I was told that there was an issue with the examiners bike and that he would need to use a car. Furthermore, he couldn't use a radio as the only type he had was illegal to operate whilst driving his car. I could either cancel my test or do the test with no radio feedback, instead following directions to a specific location, then pulling over for another set of directions. This wasn't great for me as my feared part of the test, (due to me not knowing the area) was the independent riding part - and this meant my whole test would effective become that! However, I decided to crack on regardless.

My first task was pulling right out of the test centre. Shoulder checks, pulled off....wham!! Round the corner doing about 60 in a 30 zone came a *@*# in a Subaru. I was already committed so I had to go. He jumped on his brakes and the horn. The examiner behind me had to jump on his brakes too. "Well" I thought that's the quickest ever fail. I continued through the test as poorly as I think I've ever ridden muttering under my visor and working out when I could book my next test for. To add to the misery I took 2 or 3 wrong turns and was flashed and beeped by the examiner to pull over after each one. I just wanted it to be over.

Finally he told me that this was the last set of instructions. "...then turn left in to the fire station". An odd request I thought as he walked back to the car, but I carried on with the instruction eventually pulling over in to the fire station. He pulled up along side me shouting "what the hell are you doing that's a fire station! Just follow me".

We got back to the test centre and I was gutted. He got out the car and said "I told you to turn left AFTER the fire station not in to it". He rolled his eyes and started writing away on the bonnet in silence for what seemed like 5 minutes. He casually then raised his head and said "If I could just have your licence to fill out your pass certificate please"

WHHHAAT!!??? I handed it over and watched in stunned silence as he filled out my pass certificate, afraid to say anything in case he changed his mind. He handed me the forms and said some stuff I can't really remember. He then passed me the green fault form.

"I know you misheard the last instruction but I've had to mark it down as a fault. But other than that it was a perfect ride!".

So there we have it. The moral like many others have said before me on this forum; never give up! Don't assume the examiner has seen all your little mistakes. Don't guess the standard the they are looking for. If you instructors are any good they will train you to be over and above the level needed to pass.

I'm still icing my shoulder but the pain has been eased by the knowledge that I can do a bit of "big bike" shopping on the weekend.

Well done stumrey, that's a test you will remember forever.

Hope the shoulder mends soon. :thumb:

• 1 month later...
:shock: well I failed mod 2 doing A licence DAS, everything else went smoothly apart from some nerves on mod 1, so failed mod 2 , undue hesitation - not pulling out quick enough at roundabouts only the really busy ones i.e. Motorway exit, and not slowing down fast enough before a 30sign from 40. Anyway what's done is done, rebooked for Wednesday. Think my faults were from test nerves as been ok on all aspects beforehand .good luck to anyone taking there tests👍

Passed my MOD2 on 23rd May at 2nd attempt.

1st attempt I got two majors, one was when the examiner asked me to pull over and then move off again. I indicated left to pull over and I was sure I cancelled the indicator... when I moved off again I was still indicating left and didn't realise until quite further down the road so obviously didn't push the button in properly! Indicators have been a problem with me... being so used go driving cars when you can hear them clicking or they turn themselves off!

2nd major fault was because I though I was riding in a 30 and was doing 28mph... turned out I was in a 40 and 28mph in a 40 zone is way too slow and got a fail for holding up traffic.

I agreed with the examiner and have no complaints at all.

2nd attempt I was just a bag of nerves as usual and due to this I kept going the wrong way countless times... One point the examiner asked me to turn around in the road!

There was almost an incident at one point when we was slow moving in 2 lanes due to traffic and the lorry next to me was determined to switch into my lane....Whether I was there or not! He started turning into my lane and I'm sh*tting myself and started moving towards the left of my lane to stop being taken out by this lorry before the Examiner sped up next to me and said "don't worry I'm just pulling up next to you because this lorry driver is being an idiot. We're not letting him in" :lol:

Got the the end of the test and was so relieved when the examiner said I'd passed with 3 minors! He gave me a right telling off for going the wrong way so many times and putting him 20 minutes behind schedule though!

Put a deposit down on a FZ6 but having to wait few weeks for it to be serviced and MOT'd before I get it which is killing me! :( can't wait to get on the road.

• 1 month later...

Passed this afternoon at the first attempt.

Good selection of faults though. Picked up a couple at the beginning, went to overtake a slow tractor on a A road and a road sign (one of those temp ones that get propped upat the side of the road) was flat on the road and moved towards me (blown by traffic moving the other way) and I did a big swerve. Examiner said I overreacted but should have seen it earlier anyway. Cant disagree really.

Otherwise just a bit scrappy with a couple of junctions.

TBH I'm not sure how I feel about it. I've passed both tests at the first attempt but I still don't feel *that* confident. I'm hoping that just getting out on my own on a bike will turn it all into muscle memory and that it will start to come naturally. Better to be underconfident than overconfident I guess.

well done @[mention]mas101[/mention] :cheers:

Yup real learning starts here, take it nice and easy remember your lifesavers and there's no shame in pulling over for a rest whenever you need to. Being "bike fit" is definitely a thing and it will take you a while to build up your mental and physical strength for longer rides but it's really important to try stop before you're completely pooped!

Congrats!

:stupid: Take it nice and easy, but make sure you get out on the bike. With practice and miles under your belt you'll find that you continue to improve noticeably for a good while yet. Nothing to stop you asking for further lessons too if you want, but get out yourself for a while and see how you get on.

And enjoy it!

Well done [mention]mas101[/mention] ! As everyone has said already, with time and experience you'll feel more "at one" with the bike :D

Well done [mention]mas101[/mention] . And in a way it is good you do not feel "that" confident as you won' t be tempted into running before you can walk.

Now take it easy get out when you can and enjoy the ride.

You have passed the test and proved you are safe to be let lose, but now the learning really starts.

So have fun. :thumb: