Chains and WD40!

Stu

and thats why I ignored you [mention]Joeman[/mention] :lol: :lol:

well actually I lied I went out to help a mate fit a top box an panniers to his MT09! what a pain in the arse that was!

I once used WD40 to try to fix the auto ignition system on our gas hob. This was not a good idea. The void under the hob filled with WD40 fumes and when I pressed the ignition button the hob rose about six inches out of the worktop.

A friend had a similar mishap when he sprayed it into a model glow engine as an after run treatment, and then flicked the engine over by hand. Did you know that WD40 will ignite under compression like diesel? He didn't! He does now.

I use it to clean the chain, spray it on then wipe with a rag , spray and repeat with a fresh rag. When spraying the WD40, it is not recommended to spray with the straw but use the wide spray. The straw may force WD40 thru the o-rings and dilute whatever grease is remaining and retained by the o-rings.

Once its reasonably clean then spray on chain lube.. my current favourite is Repsol.

WD40 in itself is too thin to lubricate properly.

If you're using a non-oring chain then anything goes.

Anilv