Northern Spain to northern France

Lateralus

Putting to one side the minor debate about how I'll navigate it, I've spent a fruitful long lunchbreak sketching out what could be my first full day of riding: 420km from my first night's accommodation to Argeles-Gazost - probably won't work on a mobile if it opens in the Google Maps app.

Lots of scenic roads, and leaves me well placed to head up the Col du Tourmalet and more epic mountain passes the following day. :D

Putting to one side the minor debate about how I'll navigate it, I've spent a fruitful long lunchbreak sketching out what could be my first full day of riding: 420km from my first night's accommodation to Argeles-Gazost - probably won't work on a mobile if it opens in the Google Maps app.

Lots of scenic roads, and leaves me well placed to head up the Col du Tourmalet and more epic mountain passes the following day. :D

I'll take my laptop with me tomorrow and show you how to plug that into the TomTom.

From Google maps, I will probably need to import it into a piece of software called tyre, then save it as a file on the TomTom device, but if you use https://www.motogoloco.com/map/ to do your planning, you can save all your routes directly from the browser to the TomTom.

I'll take my laptop with me tomorrow and show you how to plug that into the TomTom.

From Google maps, I will probably need to import it into a piece of software called tyre, then save it as a file on the TomTom device, but if you use https://www.motogoloco.com/map/ to do your planning, you can save all your routes directly from the browser to the TomTom.

Probably easiest to just plot them all on that site then. :thumb:

The DIY I was going to do at home this evening is slipping rapidly down the agenda!

Quick clothing question - are jeans a good idea or a stupid idea for where and when I'm going? Had conflicting advice about whether they're good for touring in hot climates.

Current alternative would be RST Paragon V trousers, but haven't found the vents to be hugely effective on them, and my jeans have seemed a bit more comfortable in that brief hot spell we had here.

I know I'll need layers for the evenings and when I go high up, but what do people generally wear when touring in hot places?

I couldn't afford to buy new gear and go!

so I went in textile trousers and a leather jacket.

Had no real problems on the bike but had to undo/take off

things pretty quick when we stopped.

We also got rained on a lot on the way back!

I wear Kevlar jeans and stick a pair of waterproof overtrousers in the luggage just in case. I don't want to loose all the luggage space carting textile trousers around would take up.

If my torso stays warm, the legs getting a bit chilly at altitude is manageable, so instead of taking up luggage space with thermal lining for my jacket, I take a fleece that can be worn both on and off the bike, I'd need it in the evenings so would have taken it anyway.

I take ankle high walking boots to wear both on the bike, and when sightseeing, and chuck a pair of sandals in the luggage for anytime it's too hot for the boots.

Bit of a safety compromise for comfort and to save luggage space, but I'm OK with that as I already upskilled :D :wink:

PS: I lay out on the bed the clothes I think I'll need, then put half of them back in the drawer :lol:

Particularly when you are wearing base layers next to the skin, the likes of T shirts stay clean and smelling OK for at least 2 days.

PS: I lay out on the bed the clothes I think I'll need, then put half of them back in the drawer :lol:

Particularly when you are wearing base layers next to the skin, the likes of T shirts stay clean and smelling OK for at least 2 days.

Do you wear a base layer under the jeans too, or just for the top half?

I normally do the same when packing, but I'll be away for 2 weeks, half of which is staying with relatives rather than just touring, so I can't drop my standards completely! No way Mrs Lat will have sufficient room to bring out extra stuff for me either. :lol:

Do you wear a base layer under the jeans too, or just for the top half?

I normally do the same when packing, but I'll be away for 2 weeks, half of which is staying with relatives rather than just touring, so I can't drop my standards completely! No way Mrs Lat will have sufficient room to bring out extra stuff for me either. :lol:

Just top half, mainly to wick sweat away from my arms, my jacket sleeves are a bit like wearing a bin bag.

Do the relatives you're visiting live there or are they going to be on holiday too?

They live out there for the summer. They'll have washing facilities, but I'll want different stuff for a week of being a tourist than I would as just touring on a sports-tourer. :mrgreen:

Both good options, and much cheaper than the Oxford ones too, thanks.

Going to Aldi this evening already actually, so will try there first. :thumb: Also going to get those Roc straps you mentioned elsewhere [mention]Mawsley[/mention].

TBH, with topbox and panniers fitted, you should have plenty space for 2 weeks of clothes and shoes if you are travelling alone and not camping.

I fit all the emergency stuff I need under the seat, my tyre plugging kit, pressure gauge and some additional tools go under the seat in the box where the ODB2 port is. I slot a 17mm ring spanner for the eccentric adjuster on the chain alongside the relays and fuse box. There's a gap between the fuse box and the battery where I stick spare lengths of wire and electrical tape.The only thing I need to put in the panniers if I'm not camping is my Hi-viz, 100ml bottles of chain lube and engine oil, and one of these which are about 3 inch by 3 inch, by 1 inch...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/rac-compact-air-compressor-12v/1371R?kpid=1371R&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%2520Listing%2520Ads-_-Sales%2520Tracking-_-sales%2520tracking%2520url&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtJzLBRC7ARIsAGMkOAmrOdRcStGe5lXJlKi0dng0O_pYf3zZU4E_P-OtFnFWGx2WDEzC0JcaAthpEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CKjK0eyYhtUCFVWtUQodr14K0A

Of course I have a breakdown recovery phone number in my wallet too.

TBH, with topbox and panniers fitted, you should have plenty space for 2 weeks of clothes and shoes if you are travelling alone and not camping.

I fit all the emergency stuff I need under the seat, my tyre plugging kit, pressure gauge and some additional tools go under the seat in the box where the ODB2 port is. I slot a 17mm ring spanner for the eccentric adjuster on the chain alongside the relays and fuse box. There's a gap between the fuse box and the battery where I stick spare lengths of wire and electrical tape.The only thing I need to put in the panniers if I'm not camping is my Hi-viz, 100ml bottles of chain lube and engine oil, and one of these which are about 3 inch by 3 inch, by 1 inch...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/rac-compact-air-compressor-12v/1371R?kpid=1371R&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%2520Listing%2520Ads-_-Sales%2520Tracking-_-sales%2520tracking%2520url&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtJzLBRC7ARIsAGMkOAmrOdRcStGe5lXJlKi0dng0O_pYf3zZU4E_P-OtFnFWGx2WDEzC0JcaAthpEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CKjK0eyYhtUCFVWtUQodr14K0A

Of course I have a breakdown recovery phone number in my wallet too.

It would, but I'm taking Mrs Lat's helmet out too, which pretty much takes out the larger pannier - she's not keen on trying to take it on a plane and risk having it bashed about, even as hand luggage.

That little pump looks useful, but should probably buy (and learn how to use!) a tyre plugging kit, and likewise adjusting the chain! Am sure there'll be someone at the rally to show me how though. :lol:

A tyre plugging kit has saved me miles from anywhere in the Scottish highlands at 4 on a Saturday afternoon, when all the tyre places were closed on Sunday and I was supposed to be at work in Billingshurst on Monday morning.

I was on the point of pressing the buy button until I read these reviews.