I have to say my car Tom Tom that is old had the great feature of zooming in automatically at junctions to make it really clear.... if copilot does this I haven't found out how to make it do if so I either have it too far out to give me plenty of notice on the turn but at small junctions with multiple tiny roads if gets tricky or super zoomed in so I have to wait till I'm quite close to the junction to see how it plays out

maybe I should try mount it portrait

I got my Zumo.. a 660 in 2010 and its still going strong. I had an issue with updating the maps recently and Garmin asked for it to be returned to them.. it arrived back within a week with the software re-installed the latest mapping for Western Europe and a 32GB SD card in the slot. A gift.

Its been used all over Europe.. had more than a few accidents most memorably coming off its mount (my fault entirely) at 60mph.. and then promptly ridden over by a TRX850. only damage.. a bit of paint wear. :mrgreen:

Swap it between the GS and the S with no problems.. I use it entirely as a visual aid. no sound.. blue tooth and everything else disabled this suits me. Software to create routes is a free download and for my needs simple to use... there is also a wealth of routes available to download.. created by riders with local knowledge and these can be great if you like your routes.. rides.. days out to be a surprise magical mystery tour. I like Gpsies.. Kurvenkonig. Best biking roads.. and others. sites created by riding clubs that tour all over europe and keep their routes in an archive. Even local tourism agencies create these for visitors for example this site for the Auvergne in france.. rides created for bikers freely available to download. http://www.auvergne-motorbike.com

My device cost £380 in 2010... today an identical second hand unit with all fittings and latest maps costs about £230 so they hold their value very nicely. I see no reason to replace mine... for all I know it'll keep on working as it does for another 7 years and more. it currently has 28GB of free space more than enough for all my needs and future updates.

No matter what bike I ever get you will never catch me paying for a bike sat nav

Seen lots of forum posts that say this too, which is why those people will never know why the sat nav is so much better. :lol:

But if they are happy with what they get from using a phone, it's all good. :thumb:

My Dad still uses a laptop running Win95. He checks his email, he checks the local paper to add his mental comments to each article - that's it. He needs nothing else.

No matter what bike I ever get you will never catch me paying for a bike sat nav, heated grips etc etc

Heated grips are great! Once you try them, you won't go back.. heated grips with thinner gloves is much nicer than no heated grips with huge thick thermal gloves.

No matter what bike I ever get you will never catch me paying for a bike sat nav

Seen lots of forum posts that say this too, which is why those people will never know why the sat nav is so much better. :lol:

But if they are happy with what they get from using a phone, it's all good. :thumb:

My Dad still uses a laptop running Win95. He checks his email, he checks the local paper to add his mental comments to each article - that's it. He needs nothing else.

Yep, if that's all he wants, good on him.

No matter what bike I ever get you will never catch me paying for a bike sat nav, heated grips etc etc

Heated grips are great! Once you try them, you won't go back.. heated grips with thinner gloves is much nicer than no heated grips with huge thick thermal gloves.

I probably would agree with you if i tried them, but if you wear the right gloves your hands should be warm enough.

Its just something else to break in my eyes, I am a minimalist and always have been. It reminds me of when I was 14 with my first car a mk2 Golf Gti 8v which had no PAS, ABS, E/W or even working door handles half the time for that matter :lol: but I would rather drive that today than most modern cars. Its like modern bikes with ABS even though I know in most cases ABS is better for you I have heard a lot of riders say they stop better without it?

My Dad still uses a laptop running Win95.

Linux till I die :thumb:

Edited by Jamie125

. Its like modern bikes with ABS even though I know in most cases ABS is better for you I have heard a lot of riders say they stop better without it?

They think they can stop better without it, but I would bet alot of money that they actually can't. And the ones who say they can probably have never even ridden a bike with ABS, certainly not modern sportsbike ABS.

My Dad still uses a laptop running Win95.

Linux till I die :thumb:

Given his age, I reckon my Dad'll beat you to it.

:lol: :lol: Well you never know, with half the road users I am coming across lately its probably evenly matched.

Its truly amazing how many driver mistakes you notice on a bike.. :?

Its like modern bikes with ABS even though I know in most cases ABS is better for you I have heard a lot of riders say they stop better without it?

I would hope so, they are supposed to. It is a safety system, not a braking method.

You are not meant to "use" ABS, it is there to prevent you locking the wheels if you mess up.

if you wear the right gloves your hands should be warm enough.

And whether or not heated grips are the answer, compared to the likes of wind deflectors, muffs or heated gloves, that is just a nonsense.

Even if you personally do not feel a problem in colder weather, people vary significantly at the extremities due to a multitude of factors. Women's hands on average tend to be around 1½°C colder than men's. For many people, ordinary gloves that are warm enough would be too thick to operate a bike.

• 3 weeks later...

https://copilotgps.com

The app cost me something like £17.99 for lifetime maps and speed camera warnings. I still don't understand why anybody would pay for anything else.

I wish to disassociate myself from this comment. I must have been on drugs or drink or suffering from a brain trauma.

If I am spotted with a Tomtom Rider 450 mounted on my handlebars then it was clearly because I've always wanted one and my life has been totally empty without it.