Throtlock / leaving brake on for hours?

Hey folks.

So if I know I'm going into a city centre or such I normally take my protector chain with me and chain the bike to something. However I am thinking about getting a disk lock or something to keep on the F700, for those impromptu trips to places where I'd rather secure the bike a little bit more than just the steering lock! (I'm still going to chain the grom to something... it is way more stealable than the BMW!)

Now, I am the forgetful type, and never used a disk lock before. So I really like the idea of this - Brake Lever Lock as it would be impossible for me to start off on the bike without removing it first :roll:

However... could jamming the brake on for extended periods of time (say 8hrs tops) cause problems to the disk/pads/caliper/other ?

Edit: Had a thought... so long as I'm not on a hill, I could use it on the clutch leaver instead. Would it harm the clutch?

Probably no harm to disc or pads but not sure if I would want the brakes on constantly putting pressure on the seals!

This is just my opinion as there is no evidence to say it will harm the seals

Yeah, the reminder cables do the job pretty well. Also locking the clutch lever doesn't stop someone rolling it away, and locking the brake lever doesn't do anything if they disconnect the brake line! Course you can still get around a disc lock but at least it takes some tools (and more than five seconds) to do that.

Hmm, yea there does seem to be quite a few draw backs to using one of these I guess. For the price it seemed a good way for putting off the opportunistic thief without risking me trying to ride off with a disk lock attached :mrgreen:

Ok, cheap but effective disk locks. Any recommendations? Also, what bit do they go through on the disk...Does it matter ?

IMG_20170804_143546.thumb.jpg.60c17cc6e716cca4a83773c3d19a5ebb.jpg

These ones are decent, and should fit that disc ok:

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/74296?r=GS&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtpDMBRC4ARIsADhz5O7W8uSEIQrHmKSef_9CwLLAtkjPvRqXVPrgSLdY8tOR12eEZ4r2UZoaAjxWEALw_wcB

Goes on like this:

Lock.thumb.jpg.e4951c5b5b873cd80097a16b3968f875.jpg

And no it's not that huge I've just made it waaaaay too big :lol:

I wouldn't recommend the smaller one, it doesn't fit a lot of discs and at a glance I'd guess yours would be one such disc.

Some pins fit through the holes, I put mine through the oval shapes between the bobbins.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxford-Quartz-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Brake-Security-Disc-Lock-Chrome-OF55-/131607656406?epid=633755552&hash=item1ea46d77d6:g:I4kAAOSwjRpZP7oH

I use that one, just give it some WD40 every now and then as the lock gets stiff :)

I never put down security on my insurance... I don't want them to have a come back on "well you didn't put X lock on" if it ever does get stolen. From playing around with quotes, they don't seem to take any more than a few quid off either.

Ouch!

Mine are in an alarmed garaged overnight, which helps a lot. Very few insurers will actually insure bikes that are not garage in my post code :? So that I do specify on my insurance! But carry around chains and stuff I don't. I do sometimes leave my bikes only with the steering lock, depending on where they are.

I do sometimes think my Grom must feel like a dog that is forever running away. It's always chained to something, more often than not it's chained to Robs bikes!

I've got two. One I keep in the bike for when parking at work, the other kept on the drive, just quicker that way(or it should be). I have a JDC alarm disk lock, I have taken the batteries out though :D which is fine no issue with the lock mechanism and the pin goes through the brake disc nicely. The other is a Mammoth something or other and is getting to be a real PITA. It's taking me longer and longer to unlock the bloody thing. I won't be buying another one of those.

Oh and definitely get a reminder cable. About £2 on Ebay.

Ive got a xena disk lock you can have for nothing if i can find the keys.

Oo if it fits I'd certainly not turn it down! Do you know what model/size it is? From what I gather, the little holes in the disks on my bike a 6mm pin would fit, but not a 10mm.

If i had to guess id say a 6mm version. Its black and used to have an alarm in it but took it out as it was too annoying going off through the middle of the night in the garage!

Will search for keys over the weekend amd get back to you.

Thanks very much TukTuk, that would be very much appreciated :mrgreen: Just let me know how much postage would be if you find the keys and I'll paypal you it :thumb:

Thanks very much TukTuk, that would be very much appreciated :mrgreen: Just let me know how much postage would be if you find the keys and I'll paypal you it :thumb:

Hey Arwen, found the keys.

PM me your address and il get it sent out tomorrow :thumb: