The Tech Nerd Geek Thread

Joeman

I'm concerned about the amount of static, last time I was in Colorado my clothes made crackling noises when I folded them :lol:

Oh wow that took me back to another Colorado speciality: the static zaps from car doors when you go to close them. They hurt.

I've still not fully got used to how wet my hands feel, having moved back to the UK. To me, they always feel like I've just put moisturiser on them.

3 sas drives for an urgent server build I think was my record. Dammit.

I find laptops are prone to static build up but if you drop the battery and power cable out and hold the power button for 30 seconds it clears the static nicely.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I find laptops, particularity metal cased ones, to be very bad for shocks. Maybe they just discharge into me... :roll: Not as bad as cars though. About 9 out of 10 times I get zapped when I first touch a car to get in/out of it!

Accepted a job working first line support / software development (weird combo right) so will be learning a lot about SQL soon :o

My friend does something like this, it isn't to do with insurance companies is it?

Accepted a job working first line support / software development (weird combo right) so will be learning a lot about SQL soon :o

My friend does something like this, it isn't to do with insurance companies is it?

Yeah working with motor insurer, how random.

That's what he does, builds the systems that does the online quotes. The support is for the insurance companies when they have problems, and development is the software doing the quotes :thumb:. Doubt it's the same company as these are based up in Manchester.

That's what he does, builds the systems that does the online quotes. The support is for the insurance companies when they have problems, and development is the software doing the quotes :thumb:. Doubt it's the same company as these are based up in Manchester.

Whats the company? As they have an office in manchester :shock:

Whats the company? As they have an office in manchester :shock:

CDLQ, I had a look they only seem to have that office. Unless they only advertise that office :lol:

Congratulations on the new job!

It's the best combination as you get to work with the users to see how they use the software and then write code to actually fix real problems and make the users life easier.

Coding fun plus loads of gratitude from the end users.

Not like pure Dev roles where youre locked in a dark room pumping out code that's some generic IT- illiterate BA speced out.

Pretty much what I do. I'm a systems developer at a hedgefund. Developing new stuff and supporting/rewriting old stuff.

Trying to decide whether or not to blow money on importing a flashed video card for my 2010 Mac Pro that I can't bring myself to part with...

It's a thing of beauty :(

Perhaps I can get another 7 yrs out of it...

Congratulations on the new job!

It's the best combination as you get to work with the users to see how they use the software and then write code to actually fix real problems and make the users life easier.

Coding fun plus loads of gratitude from the end users.

Not like pure Dev roles where youre locked in a dark room pumping out code that's some generic IT- illiterate BA speced out.

Pretty much what I do. I'm a systems developer at a hedgefund. Developing new stuff and supporting/rewriting old stuff.

Thanks Joe :)

Hope i can pick it up, they seem keen to have me there so must have said something right!

I'm starting to feel that way, I've used Mac's for over 20 years now (wish I hadn't binned my old G3 clamshell), but they are becoming more and more infuriating as they "dumb them down" so that they are more appealing to grannies and hipsters.

Trying to figure out what was causing my display issues because a monumental faff because they've locked down the system so much I couldn't install the diagnostic tools that should have been there anyway, but weren't because I reformatted and reinstalled a newer OS instead of using my ancient discs that came with the computer. Had to figure out how to turn off all of their protective shit. I miss how flexible macs used to be :(

I've been dual-booting into windows 7 for quite some time now (mostly for steam/games), and a part of me thinks I should just give up and go to the dark side... but ugh.

My last Mac was a top of the line Power Mac G5 bought back in 2005. The colossal "f**k you" of the Intel switch was all the reason I needed to migrate to PC... the machine itself was obsolete within a few years and most of my software didn't work on the new Intel machines, so it made sense to cut my losses and switch platforms. As you say, the dumbing down is absolutely infuriating. And to be honest, it's been a long time now since a Mac offered any genuine advantage to professional creatives; you can always get an equally competent PC for a fraction of the price. I certainly haven't had any reason to look back since going PC.

My last Mac was a top of the line Power Mac G5 bought back in 2005.

Mine's still in the garage, along with the CRT :D

I hate Exchange 2010. Outlook 2016 and Windows 10. In that order... argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:crybaby:

This isn't helping to convert me. ;)

My macbook pro is the only Apple product I allow in the house and only because I haven't found a Windows laptop of the same build quality.

This is kind of my problem... I have loads of fully working (but redundant) mac hardware, it lasts forever. My current desktop is 7 yrs old, and this is the first issue I've had with it. I haven't found anything windows-esque that looks to be even remotely like that quality.

My other problem is that pretty much every windows desktop I've seen either looks like a boring corporate box, or it looks like it was designed by some 13 yr old who's just discovered Star Wars.

The Microsoft Surface grabbed my attention, however, the price tag made me throw up a little. I'm not spending mac prices on microsoft crud ;)

Only problem I have with my mb-pro is the letters wearing off the keyboard!

But what bugs me about them is the lack of RAM. Even the new ones dont have much ram so I don't really know who the "pros" are they are aimed at.

That's why I'm hanging only my 2013 mbp retina with i7.

I've installed a larger SSD and it's fine - not perfect, but way better than any windows laptop.

Bit by bit, device by device, the family are using iOS.

They didn't take up Linux when I forced it on them, and I've refused to deal with their plethora of Windows issues that cropped up so often it almost became a full time job.

The girl uses an Air, the lad has my old MBP - it's just the wife and her "Jen from IT Crowd" possessed laptop to go.

In the last ten years I've had one - ONE - Mac issue. A failed screen on the iMac and they replaced it FOC even though it was out of warranty. No viruses, no worms, no slowing down, no freezing, no locking, no conflicts, no lost data...nothing. I can't say that about any Windows device that has ever existed in this house.