Northern Spain to northern France

Lateralus

I would only touch the headlamp if i was certain that a lot of riding after dark was on the cards.. mid august.... thats well after 9pm

:stupid:

I have never touched mine

It also only becomes a problem if the headlights kick up the the left

There is a lot of bikes out there with flat beams so it's no issue but an easy way to check is to park about a meter from a wall with lights on bike straight and in the dark

You should see if the are a flat beam or if they kick up

But as said I wouldn't worry at all

I would only touch the headlamp if i was certain that a lot of riding after dark was on the cards.. mid august.... thats well after 9pm

I'd put tape on mine if it was a daytime headlight, just to stop pissing people off like.

I'd put tape on mine if it was a daytime headlight, just to stop pissing people off like.

Oh... definitely. If there had ever been the slightest evidence that my lights irritated oncoming drivers I would do the same. in a flash (so to speak)

One thing to consider when riding in France is the use of super bright LED lights. If you have LED auxiliary lights it's best to switch them off while in France it really irritates French drivers and the Police take a dim view of it (pardon the pun). It's not illegal but it really irks them. You'll get people flashing and waving their arms about and shouting obscenities at you :shock:

One thing to consider when riding in France is the use of super bright LED lights. If you have LED auxiliary lights it's best to switch them off while in France it really irritates French drivers and the Police take a dim view of it (pardon the pun). It's not illegal but it really irks them. You'll get people flashing and waving their arms about and shouting obscenities at you :shock:

Worth knowing, thanks. Don't have any fitted at the moment, but am planning to get some!

Haven't got round to putting the nightbreaker bulbs in yet, but taking them as my spares.

The mistake people make with auxiliary lights.. is pointing them at drivers faces rather than at the tarmac. I have these on the GS... fitted 6 years ago maybe. wired to the 'dip' and so are always on. and properly aimed. Ive never had a problem.. or observed an irate reaction. and im fairly sure that even if i missed such a reaction... any one of my friends following behind would take great pleasure in describing it to me - in detail.

cause they like to be helpful like that.

But.. i do see a lot of these lights on.. and aimed with the intention of scaring away errant water buffalo. not usually a problem in central southern France. adult kids and their toys eh.

to be honest.. i think its about time these were part of the MOT. and either wired to the main beam or dip and aimed accordingly... and said aim, checked by a 3rd party. (at MOT)

Well I've started the process of laying out all the stuff I think I need to take. I'm 100% certain that I'll be packing more stuff than I need, exacerbated slightly by having a week's “normal” holiday in the middle of the touring, but I'm sure it's a rite of passage to over-pack on one's first big tour!

Hopefully home from the rally reasonably early on Sunday to finish packing properly.

Well I've started the process of laying out all the stuff I think I need to take. I'm 100% certain that I'll be packing more stuff than I need, exacerbated slightly by having a week's “normal” holiday in the middle of the touring, but I'm sure it's a rite of passage to over-pack on one's first big tour!

Given the fairly unique circumstances of your holiday.. It doesn't matter. You're not competing for luggage space with a pillion or dividing what you have between clothes. Necessities and camping gear. I would just try to be logical.. Have what you need for the boat easily to hand. As well as clothes for the period both on the bike and on foot. (Shoes) Space to carry water.. Plus a small med kit. With a mind to insect bites in particular.. Wet wipes. I always take a small bottle of eye wash... As getting something in your eye... Especially if it's a bug can rapidly turn from a minor irritant to a major disaster. Wilko is definitely your friend for these.

And if you come back with clothes unworn... Med kit unused. Etc. So what. Who cares. Rather too much than too little. Rather items as an insurance policy than something going horribly wrong and no easy cure or fix so you can carry on without drama. If you want to borrow a puncture kit.. Let me know. Just bring it back... Same goes for a pump. If if you don't have an electric one... Take something else... Even a foot pump. Hidden away at the bottom of your panniers. Again.. Insurance. I generally tour with friends and carry all these so most problems can be sorted quickly and with the minimum of fuss... I would rather be on my way than have to wait around for international rescue or waste time hunting for a pharmacy and then (in Spain) be told I need a prescription for aspirin.

Cheers - I have a pocket tyre plugger kit arriving in the post, and will be taking the small pump I use for my bicycle. Eye wash looks like it's the only thing left to but still!

The departure approaches. The bike is mostly sorted, but the packing not yet started.

Feeling pretty tired, and conscious that I want to sleep well tomorrow, I just looked online into cabin upgrades for the ferry. £95, plus a £25 admin fee. :?

I gave them a call, and for the princely sum of £32 (and no admin fee!) I now have a bed in a 4-berth male shared cabin instead! Bargain, and totally worth it. :mrgreen:

Have a fairly organised list, so packing should be easy, so it's just the trip to the dealer in the morning concerning me now. Imagine most tours don't start with a trip to a mechanic's ramp to investigate an oil leak.

Have a fairly organised list, so packing should be easy, so it's just the trip to the dealer in the morning concerning me now. Imagine most tours don't start with a trip to a mechanic's ramp to investigate an oil leak.

You're an amateur mate. I have heard tell of one bloke whose engine was still in pieces in the lounge the day before the tour, but by 4am all was back together again in good time for him to ride throught the night from Rotherham to get his booking on the 08:20 shuttle from Folkestone.