Old and confused

Hi was wondering if someone could help me understand things a bit better I am old (40) and just done my cbt and when the time comes and I pass my test will I still be restricted to riding a 125cc bike or does being old allow me to ride a bigger cc bike. Suppose what I am asking is do I need to go through the A1 A2 licences or does passing my test mean I go on to an A licence

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to answer your question, because I AM old :D (62 last Thursday) and passed my test when I was 16 so none of the A1 A2 CBT malarky.

Just an examiner walking around the streets and jumping out on you to do an emergency stop.

Yeah, at your age you have the option of doing your test on a 125 giving you an A1 licence, which means you're restricted to riding a 125, doing the test on a 300 (or something restricted to the same power), giving you an A2 licence and only being able to ride something in that power band, or doing it on a 600, giving you a full A licence that has no retrictions. The test is the same, the only difference is the power of the bike you use to take it.

It's a no brainer: go for the full licence.

So does that mean I need to do a direct access course to progress up to an A licence because I can only ride a 125 on my cbt? An if I pass on a 125 I will be restricted to a 125 so how do I get on a bigger bike?

Yes a DAS will give you a full motorcycle licence, you do the CBT first as a requirement. As for getting on a bigger bike you can use the schools unrestricted bikes to learn on with an instructor, so you'll do the training and tests with them on their equipment. Soon as you pass you can do it all on your own :thumb:

The licenses are confusing to the complete newbie, I thought it was a2, a1 then A aswell.

If you haven't got a bike then I would just go straight from nothing to full license but if you've got a 125 then you may as well use it for some experience first.

Ah ok thanks very much for taking the time to reply and for clearing that up for me think I will stick with a 125 for now an get some experience then maybe in a year go for the Das then do my test.

The DAS is the test...... :wink: Obviously it's your choice how you tackle it.....but I'd just go straight for it......don't forget that doing your DAS with a riding school includes the training, which could be useful. ......and you run the risk of picking up some bad habits during your time on the 125.......just my opinion of course..... :thumb:

As has been said, CBT enables you to ride a 125 with L plates (no pillions).

With the current rules you can tool around on a 125 for a 2 years and indeed take the A1 test on your own, but it is very difficult (if not quite impossible) to take the A2 or full A tests without having formal lessons. You are only allowed to ride a bigger bike while undergoing instruction by a licensed instructor (and to be clear that means you have to be with the instructor all the time you are on the road, not just signed up for lessons), plus its difficult to get insurance before passing the test.

Your next step is to take the theory test (same theory test for any of the A1/A2/A).

Once the theory test is out of the way then you need to do both mod1 and then mod2 using a bigger bike. (both tests to be done on the same category bike - so you cant do mod1 on a 125 followed by mod 2 on a 650).

At your age there doesn't seem any point in doing A2 so you could either stick at 125 bikes and put yourself through mod1 and mod2 or go get lessons on a bigger bike and get A (the preferred option)

I know its been cleared up but thought I'd throw out there I've literally just done this...

CBT - the compulsory bit.

DAS - 1 day training on a Suzuki Gladius, then the Mod 1 part of my test. Another day's training with the Gladius then the Mod 2 part of my test. Both tests were done on the Gladius, exactly the same bike I'd been training on I did my tests with.

I literally did this all within a month with no prior riding experience and passed both tests first time. Only thing to point out is that until you've passed both parts of your test you are restricted to only riding a 125. I considered getting a 125 to practice and learn to handle the road on a bike, but in the end it would've been difficult financially for me so I just stuck to the training and tests as quickly as I could. I'm 29 years old so this was the best option for me, and I would 100% recommend it to yourself or anyone else looking into it.

There was actually one lad I encountered who did his A2 license 6 months ago, so he paid for all his tests and bike hire and training and did his tests and was restricted to an A2 bike. Then 6 months later (now) he turned 24 and decided to do it all again to get a Full A License.