Bike won't start

Adamjf82

Ok well Sunday morning a set off to meet some mates, I road about 40 mins met my mates and had a quick a brew. Went to start bike and it was like battery was dead and had to push start the bike. I rode it another half hour and parked it up for 4 hours then it started no problem. Parked up another half hour and it started fine and rode the 40 mins home.

Monday morning bike starts fine and i ride to work, I pull up at work and the bike dies and it's not started since. I've had 3 batteries tried on it so I know that's not the issue.

Any ideas?

Also last week the bike wouldn't start after I stopped to fill up, it was like battery was flat then after 5 mins it started.

Given the intermittent nature of the fault I'll take an educated guess at this one . I reckon you have a build up of carbon dust and muck inside your starter motor. Strip it down and give the commutator plates a buff up with very fine wet and dry paper ( 2500 grade ) and it should be fine.

I would look at stripping and cleaning the carbs to start with as you may have a bit of shite in there

These are also prone to hot start problems too but the way you describe it I don't think its that

I does sound to me like the engine isn't turning over fast enough too :?

I would look at stripping and cleaning the carbs to start with as you may have a bit of shite in there

These are also prone to hot start problems too but the way you describe it I don't think its that

What would cause the engine not to turn over fast enough?

I can't do anything with the bike until Saturday as it's currently stuck in the warehouse at work

bad connection between the battery, starter relay and starter or weak battery but as you have already said you have tried different batteries!

I would offer some assistance but its the forum rally this weekend so I am away!

You need to start with the basics ie decent battery with all good connections make sure you have a spark fuel and air

Thanks Stu, luckily this Saturday the company MD is in and he is a keen biker and knows his stuff so I'll rope him into helping out. I've ordered a new battery anyway as mine was getting on a bit and I'm going to give the bike a service while it's in bits so hopefully I'll be able to get it sorted

Let us know how you get on

One way to rule the battery out is to jump it off from a car but don't have the car running if it turns over faster and starts then your battery is failing or in a poor state of charge

So maybe the starter motor is back in the frame ?

So maybe the starter motor is back in the frame ?

Possibly yes

I missed your post about cancelling your first one :lol:

Thanks for the replies. I've had the bike in bits today and it turns out to be a combination of knackered battery and the fuel pump.

I've stripped down the pump and cleaned all the connections and put on a new battery and it's running again.

I've also booked it in to get carbs cleaned as it's running a bit rough.