Bike cut out while riding...

SportsBiker

Hiya guys,

As the title says my bike (2013 Yamaha R1) cut out while riding yesterday. It happened as I was about to take the 2nd to last turn to home after a 20-30 odd mile ride so was nice and warmed up.

It happened just before I entered the turn as I said, which was lucky since the engine died and rear wheel locked up. I was in 2nd gear at the time doing about 10-15mph at a guess :shock:

I think I may have pulled the clutch in a bit and was breaking to slow for the turn, however I wasn't going slow enough to stall, in fact I'm pretty sure about the speed part since the bike slid with the rear wheel locked for a fair bit before instinct cut in and I pulled the clutch right in and released it causing the bike to bump start itself.

Had I been mid turn or going a lot faster when this happened it wouldn't have ended so well I'm sure.

Any idea's what could cause this? Had any experience like this?

I'm beginning to suspect it may have an electric issue as a few days ago I was two towns over when I realised my indicators hadn't been worked and only came to life when I restarted the bike.

The brief search I've done tonight it bringing up all sorts from dirty throttle sensor, bad mapping and pinched fuel lines. The mapping I thought was automatic to an extent though it does have Scorpion can's with a decat and I've removed the baffles a week ago.

With luck I'll be able to take it to the Yamaha Dealer I got it from tomorrow provided I get home from work in time and they have the time to check it out.

Kev

Faulty immobiliser perhaps ? I think you need to get the tank and plastics off and have a good look around for anything non standard or any wiring that has been re wrapped in electrical tape. Also inspect every electrical connector and clean all contacts with fine emery paper.Glad you got away with it , sounds scary.

Well the bike was checked out at the shop where I got it on July 12th and no fault codes came up, battery and charger tests were all normal and it didn't do anything odd during the test ride they took it on.

Result = no fault found

This left me the following option's

1, leave the bike with them so they can use it as a run around until it re-occurs leaving me without a bike.

2, Take the bike away again and return if the fault happens again....(not sure I'll be so lucky the next time and what leg would I have to stand on blaming the bike if no faults are found!)

Not exactly the answer I was hoping for but if there are no code's coming up and so far it's a random thing, I can't really blame them for the choices I'm left with.

I'm somewhat concerned that it may happen again though and during a maneuver that I wont be so quick or able to react to, but the idea of going without a bike after only having it a month isn't appealing either :(

As mentioned it happened at relativity low rev's I guess so maybe I was mistaken and it was in 3rd but I'm sure I saw a 2 on the gear indicator......maybe it happened going from 3rd to 2nd and the shock of it happening has made my stupid brain forget the exact details of what happened prior the stall....Pretty sure I wasn't in 3rd though as its a 30 zone....I dunno.

It's all a bit worrying and making me doubt myself now which isn't a great thing on a bike, let alone something like an R1. :(

Caution says give them the bike and see how they get on with it but it's the first time its happened and I'm not the most confident of corner takers and it's possible it's my screw up...ok I'll just stop waffling self doubt now and see how I get on.

Hope it gets sorted its not nice when your bike just cuts out mid ride, mine did second day i had it (I didnt know about reserve fuel lines ok?! :roll: ) lol

Thanks Mike.

The R1 is virtually idiot proof these days with a low fuel indicator light, traction control & gear indicator as standard on my model. You could ofc be a complete idiot on it and try a sharp bend at 100mph etc and no amount of traction control will help you but for the most part it's numpty mode riding.

It's interesting that you mentioned low fuel though as after I got it back from the garage/shop's test ride the fuel reserve was on and I hadn't ridden it since the event on Sunday. Maybe I was on the brakes hard enough to through what little fuel was in the tank sloshing about long enough for the fuel lines to take in a gulp of air? Not really sure how it all works these days if I'm honest. It was all tubes and a special reserve tap under the tank last time I even thought about bike fuelling :oops:

Mine has the reserve tap but no fuel indicator, when I bought it I was told i had about 100 miles left so didn't think it needed refuelling so soon. Anywho it cut out I didn't know why. Once some more fuel trickeld in it would start and then conk again lol.

Put it to reserve and was fine lol , could be fuel not reaching engine for whatever reason certainly made mine cut out lol

Glad it's going well and your feeling comfortable again