ZXR750 turbo conversion

I could get you a proper fitting from work mate, depending on the thread, are they parallel? I could get you some seals too.

Say whaaaaa?

That would be handy. :-)

I've fitted the feed:

IMAG0655_1.thumb.jpg.37ec33c7031fb9f6745adbbb2a62f131.jpg

And return:

IMAG0656_1.thumb.jpg.19309ed5d89eaab2108bea953a5a8f40.jpg

Like I said, a bit agricultural...

The feed hose is a bit long and sticks waaaay out so if you've got some nifty banjo fittings kicking about, I'd gladly take one off your hands. :thumb:

I've got to stop buggering about with this for a bit now, I've got a load of assignments due in very soon. :|

I'm not sure on the banjo fittings as we don't use too many of them but i'll have a look, but I can get you one(or more) of these;

http://www.burnettandhillman.co.uk/en/products/index/view-product/cPath/1_2/

http://www.burnettandhillman.co.uk/public/backend/uploads/resizeImage.php?image=/public/backend/uploads/groups/item/primary/2/file4/pgmg0101-3d.png&max_height=150&max_width=300

It just depends on the thread type, I'm assuming it's BSPPxBSPP connections, the hose can actually be supplied with an elbow at one end if it becomes a huge problem they should swap the fitting for you, you just may lose a little length on the hose.

What would you need 2 fittings, one on the feed and return? Or is it 4, one at each end of the hose :)?

Dunno on the threads Beefs - the fitting I [strikeout]bodged[/strikeout] skillfully adapted was just a big standard air fitting. Same sorts as used in plumbing I think.

I only need the one for the engine to feed hose connection. I can afford to lose 5-6" from that hose anyway so if I get a chance to take it back it shouldn't be a problem to swage a banjo on.

Dunno on the threads Beefs - the fitting I [strikeout]bodged[/strikeout] skillfully adapted was just a big standard air fitting. Same sorts as used in plumbing I think.

I only need the one for the engine to feed hose connection. I can afford to lose 5-6" from that hose anyway so if I get a chance to take it back it shouldn't be a problem to swage a banjo on.

I spent hours yesterday making this little bugger:

IMAG0665_1.thumb.jpg.bbfce9131afd223f70432df0b1ca2c67.jpg

I had to weld a few strips of 5mm flat bar to form a triangle, mill the hole, cut the outline shape then mill the whole thing flat again. I've learned that trying to vertical mill on a small lathe is a shit of a job and takes aaaaaaages.

I've nipped on the first angle of the exhaust and stuck the lambda sensor bung on. Now I've got to figure the rest of the system.

I'm trying to decide whether to run under the centre of the sump and straight in to the can or run down the side of the sump and dog-leg in to the can. Centre would flow better but the side would give me more space for the intercooler... :scratch:

Here's a pic for Joeman of the headers straight on:

IMAG0666_1.thumb.jpg.b29c5a1fb2fa0a1f285c782f60cecdef.jpg

You can see the turbo inlet is pretty much central and the pipes are angled for better flow.

Bish-bash-bosh, one ZXR750 turbo exhaust :-):

IMAG0670_1.thumb.jpg.9fda87d0464ad5fffd87f248132da418.jpg

I spent soooo long welding today...

Aaaaand on the bike:

IMAG0671.thumb.jpg.1bb95c166ade51037598e21f7a4b28ea.jpg

Had to add a heat shield below the rad hose as it was a little too close.

It's 2.5" pipe from the flange to just before the can pipe where it's stepped to 2".

• 2 weeks later...

Started making up the airbox today.

I already made the carb trumpet flange holder thing out of some 6mm aluminium sheet the other day:

IMAG0678_1.thumb.jpg.4653d35b0225de2f3a774323e19f19f5.jpg

The 6mm sheet is thicker than the original plastic box so I thought if I cut the holes a bit undersized then the combo of thicker material and smaller holes would really squeeze the rubbers on to the carbs.

It didn't work... the rubbers deformed and we're really difficult to fit so I machined 1mm off and that's done the trick:

IMAG0683_1.thumb.jpg.37d25020db4e5100df25597d62f4c49a.jpg

I had a small piece of 1.5mm sheet lying around so I did a load of measurements on the original and started bending and cutting:

IMAG0687_1.thumb.jpg.77016816e9baf19b889d702fb0e36877.jpg

The basic shape:

IMAG0688_1.thumb.jpg.80f21582a866c9b10058136e47f9c860.jpg

This is where I'm at now - still got a long way to go but you can see the general idea:

IMAG0694_1.thumb.jpg.0c11cb0f834cdd24927ca6b36f5043dc.jpg

I'm going to try and get the rest of it finished up tomorrow with my non-existent tin bashing skills. :-D

Sheet work is fun, but I'm well shite at it :lol:

I saw This video a while back and thought I'd try doing something other than a simple box.

I spent waaaaay more time measuring and marking, re-measuring, scrubbing out what I'd done, re-marking etc than cutting and bending.

It mush have taken me a couple of hours just to do that little bit!

Got a bit more time today to finish up bashing the air box:

IMAG0701_1.thumb.jpg.a70555f1b50d893fafe5e7864fb9deeb.jpg

I finished up the inlet (top of pic) since I took the snaps so "all I have to do" is nip in to school on Friday and weld it up.

IMAG0703_1.thumb.jpg.dc78098b346f64988c60390be01899a6.jpg

The finished inlet has around a 20 degree cut so the pipe should point down a bit.

IMAG0704_1.thumb.jpg.46cf7fa194f3997746377a55ed6ed171.jpg

From the top you can see there might be a problem - the bottom corners look like they could contact the tank. I've rested the tank on but without the box being solid I can't really tell if it'll be alright or not...

Worst case I'll just have to lop the corners off or take a hammer to the tank. :lol:

That's very cool... A lot quieter than I would have expected but still very very cool.

Yeah, the turbo takes a lot of sound out of the exhaust. If I open the vanes then it's back being noisy again. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Now with added airbox/plenum thingy:

IMAG0708_1.thumb.jpg.321df2e255adef2bb97640a546d7a580.jpg

The black bit at the back if the MAP sensor so the spark advance is adjusted with reference to the boost pressure.

I struggled to get time to TIG it up at school so I got some aluminium brazing/soldering rods: HTS2000. This was a mistake. They're good for joining a couple of thinish bits together but complex parts and thick to thin is a pain in the arse. It would have looked better if I'd MIGed it.

Anyway, I had to go over it a few times to get rid of the pin holes but it's done so in theory I just need to source a dump valve and an intercooler then make up the pipe work and it's done.

Still need that smaller rad too...

• 1 month later...

Right then. It's been a while *insert excuses*...

I think I'm pretty much there!

I found a rad that sort of fits (think it's off an R6). I had to jiggle the mounting brackets round, make up some hangers and change the fan to the other side but it fits and works. Only problem is that the isn't a fan switch in it so I need to sort something out for that.

IMAG0736.thumb.jpg.397d77e77e4ff4d254b6017f9c537402.jpg

I've also done the cold side pipe work - I'm really struggling to find an intercooler that'll fit somewhere. I was thinking under the engine with a scoop maybe... *any ideas anyone?*. You can just about see the U pipe above which will do for now.

No pics but I've sorted the pitot tube (boost reference for the float chambers and fuel pressure regulator), boost gauge fitting and dump valve (loudest I could find :-)) under the tank.

I had to have the turbo off again because I was getting a bit of exhaust leaking at the header/turbo flange. I cut the header up an welded on a bit of 10mm plate for the new flange which thankfully doesn't leak. :-)

Here's a look at my dash thing:

IMAG0735_1.thumb.jpg.25a7f88c34425d6a5a9869b1b904b81c.jpg

There's an air/fuel gauge on the right, dodgy Chinese clocks in the middle and a "professionally fitted" boost gauge on the left. Oh, and those couple of wires between the clocks and the A/R gauge is my temporary fan switch. :-)

Here's what it looks like now:

IMAG0729_1.thumb.jpg.03a7a23d8cb0ead44df044ef40780d5d.jpgIMAG0732_1.thumb.jpg.c8449650653ec52e96cbf70e374baf15.jpgIMAG0731_1.thumb.jpg.648e27a681c33c3bb5e6f93c05f5e2b4.jpg

I'm really liking the naked look - I need to do something about back end though - maybe some aluminium sheet over the sides to cover the fuel pump and fuse box... I dunno.

I was planning on giving it a test run today but I was late getting up and fannied about all morning and now I can't be arsed to dig out the paperwork to tax it.

If I can find my camera I'll do a vid of the first run.

• 2 weeks later...

I came so close to binning this project today.

After the fuel pressure regulator issue and getting petrol in the engine I stripped out the carbs, checked them over, cleaned them and stuck them back in. I noticed that the oil level had risen so planned an oil change.

When I went out this evening to drain the oil out I saw that the level was above the glass so more fuel had leaked in. :roll:

I popped out the plugs and the plug on no.3 was a bit wet. I turned on the fuel pump and the cylinder slowly began filling with fuel (the rest were dry). This was the point of maximum grumpiness!

I took the carbs out again and saw no.3 was weeping from the chamber so I took the bowls off them again and checked everything very carefully and found no faults.

I scratched my brain for a bit and took the float valve out to find a crumbling o-ring. Luckily I found a bunch of what I hope are nitrile rings and stuck one in.

All back together again I plumbed the carbs to the pump and... no leaks! I haven't put them back properly yet - that's a job for tomorrow...

I hope that's sorted it because I need to get it finished!

I can sympethise sbout wsnting to jack it in.

When i got my first bike i spent a small fortune on powder coating wheels, painting fairings, chain/sprockets etc only for the crank seal to blow on its first ride! Took the engine out and got stuck when it came to seperating the crank from its casing, tried all sorts of pullers, heat, freezing spray nothing would touch it! Mate came round with a sledgehammer in the end and it came out like a rocket :lol: Then i had to start rebuilding it for the first time :shock:

I seen delboys garage on youtube has just bought a turbo project.

You're right, it was definitely a low spot the other day though!

Anyroad, it's all back together again and seems to be running alright.

I put the replacement bearings back in the turbo and although it doesn't spool as quickly, at least it's not pissing oil any more. No more fuel leaks either and got 6psi boost giving it a bit of a rev on the stand. :-)

If the weather holds tomorrow I'll take it for a spin and see what's what.

I took it for that spin today.

It didn't go well. It struggled to rev on the road - my top speed was 34mph! Pulling over to a farm gate I tried giving it some revs - it blipped alright but trying to hold the revs up lead it to bog down at 7-8k followed by a chuff of black smoke from the exhaust.

The lambda gauge showed a little rich but nothing stonking. I need to get this thing to a dyno and bugger about with the fueling. Should have gone FI! :-D

Lost a bloody Allen key too.