Queue Maker

Tankbag

Finally joining the ranks of the pine scatter cushions & teak effect microwave brigade & borrowing the father in laws caravan for a break down the New Forest with er indoors & the dogs. Priorities for me are, extra security on the starship enterprise while I’m away & plenty of bike mags.

I'm a complete noob to this malarkey, any tips from seasoned travellers on here :cheers:

If a corner has signs saying that towing vehicles should use a specific lane, obey it.

Otherwise you end up waiting for roadside assistance to fit new power connectors to the cables.....

If a corner has signs saying that towing vehicles should use a specific lane, obey it.

Otherwise you end up waiting for roadside assistance to fit new power connectors to the cables.....

Thanks Mr W I'll deffo watch out for that 🚔

We had a caravan for 10 years while kids were growing up,it got nicked 11 years ago that put an end to it.

Make sure you use security on the van, even while you are away.

Don't park under trees,after rain the drops will continue to drip on the roof which can be annoying.

Find a site with good showers and washing up facilities.

Some sites charge for showers which can add up over a week.

Enjoy watching noobies attempting to reverse and put up an awning :D

Don't worry about making que3s down here with a caravan, the pushbikes travel slower than you...

Remember towing speed limits, keep heavy stuff low and over wheels, increase your braking distance, remember the caravan will cut the corner every time.

To check your satnav is set to lorry or similar, if not going into bath in rush hour with large caravan becomes an entertaining prospect :oops:

As for the New Forest:

https://sammymiller.co.uk/

https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/

If you get one of these for £20 a head or £10 for juniors, it gets you free admision into the above and afew others round the country. One visit to Bealli it pays for itself

http://www.bmct.org/

, remember the caravan will cut the corner every time

And the back opposite corner will kick out wider !

Finally joining the ranks of the pine scatter cushions & teak effect microwave brigade & borrowing the father in laws caravan for a break down the New Forest with er indoors & the dogs. Priorities for me are, extra security on the starship enterprise while I’m away & plenty of bike mags.

I'm a complete noob to this malarkey, any tips from seasoned travellers on here :cheers:

Check your licence covers you for towing over 750kgs if its a large caravan !

Towing mirrors!

lots of extra time!

watch your fuel you'll use a lot more.

Has van got a motormover? (Godsend for tight spaces)

We're now seasoned caravaners, any questions ask away 8-) :lol:

Most important ingredient? beer of course! :lol:

We have a caravan, from my own experience l tend to travel very early in the morning when the roads are quite, tortoise hare syndrome applies big style with a caravan, just take your time and keep rolling, no point in batting on you'll just watch the fuel tank empty itself even faster. On the motorway watch out for buffeting from the big trucks make sure the caravan is balanced and hooked up correctly and check the tyres, also the lights each time you hook up. We enjoy it just as much as camping, rain wind or shine enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a caravan. There was definitely something wrong with it so I got rid of it. I went through 4 clutches in 12 months.

Should have got an automatic :roll:

We've just had 2 new tyres, wheel bearings changed and brakes serviced on ours!

not cheap! but should be ok for a while now 8-)

Top man ... it saves me picking up problems caused by it

Ie

20170830_130811.thumb.jpg.a58b4b6a27939208bbb1ea7374f79981.jpg

Not been used for 8 years ... decided to take it from brighton to doncaster and get back to brighton ..

Wheel bearing collapsed ... wheel departed on the m40 with drum hub attached thankfully at 2am ...

Other wheel you could rock side to side with a good inch of play in wheel bearing