First jeans - WP textile, or WP overtrousers?

I'm accumulating kit even though I haven't got a licence yet - just spreading the costs, and will wear it when training.

I've got a jacket and boots, now looking at options for jeans. Should I get some WP textile jeans, or go for my preferred denim jeans + waterproof overtrousers for those occasions when it rains?

My aim is to get a retro styled bike and should wear clothes to compliment that. So far I've got:

Furygan Serpico Jacket

furygan_textile_jacket_serpico_black.jpg

TCX X-Blend Boots

tcx_boots_x_blend_wp_vintage_size_euus_vintage_zoom.jpg

I don't mind spending £120 on denim jeans, but only if reasonable WP overtrousers can be got for small change. I've seen some reasonably styled textile jeans that are also waterproof for under £100, and wondering if that might be a smarter option.

You can get Held waterproof over trousers for £35, mine have been tested in hours of rain and I have stayed dry. But, if it is warm, wearing jeans means you will get sweaty. Textile trousers with vents and a gortex lining are the best for one solution for all weathers.

You can get Held waterproof over trousers for £35, mine have been tested in hours of rain and I have stayed dry. But, if it is warm, wearing jeans means you will get sweaty. Textile trousers with vents and a gortex lining are the best for one solution for all weathers.

Do you have any specific recommendations on the Goretex lined trousers? I guess being GTX they will be pricey.

I just had a look and did not realise how expensive goretex trousers are. IME anything else will eventually leak. So, unless you are going to tour and could face riding in the rain for hours at a time, I would go jeans and over trousers. That is what I did until I could afford the goretex option after giving up on so called water proof textiles that were not goretex.

I picked up a really nice set of RST armoured jeans recently that I wear sometimes when I ride to work (dress down Fridays) if its raining I've just got some fluro waterproof over pants that cost me about £15 out of a local outdoor shop. They've served me well on the push bike for the last 5 years and are big enough to just about go over the armoured jeans.

I've also got a set of waterproof textile jeans from RST which I use pretty much as over pants to ride to work in, fully armoured and what not. I suppose it comes down to how much protection you want, as well as what qualities you need. If you're going to be riding to work every day rain or shine then it's probably worth getting the waterproof/armoured textile jeans.

In my case it also depends on what you wear for work. I wear very light weight trousers in an office environment and can't be bothered to wear my denim jeans then change in work so my textiles just go over the top of those.

• 3 months later...

Update on this. I plumped for some Bull-It SR6 jeans based on the Covec seemingly having better hear protection for friction burns, and they have a waterproof coating despite looking like normal jeans. But.... They were stupidly baggy, so I swapped then for the Italian slim fit variant which are still quite baggy but then I am extremely slim. I'm reasonably happy for £80 that I've got some good quality, reasonably stylish, protection. Though I haven't added any armour.

So I thought I'd try some cheaper ones I'd seen on eBay and again at Motorcycle Live. Oggie76 is a funny brand name, but they have a good range of colours and with free CE hip and knee at about £45 you can't really complain.

These are a much nicer fit. I bought my usual size and they are perfect. Tiny bit baggier in the leg than I'd like, but I'm used to skinny jeans. The armour seems like fairly typical budget stuff and they feel like good quality. I'm well chuffed.

Too many people skimp on protective clothing when first starting out. I regularly see a new biker (125cc L plate) near where I work. She has a helmet and jacket, but the rest of what she wears is definitely not armoured.

You will get more use out of the WP stuff, I'm sure of that :mrgreen:

I also bought some surplus Police Goretex overtrousers, for £30. They're crazy baggy, but super waterproof and can get them on over my boots. The waterproof jeans have already been tested, and they didn't really work. So, I'd rather have saved £40 with the Oggie76 jeans and then add overtrousers when required.