Private disaster

Picollus

Personally I think it's running in boots and the cocktail of untested

vaccines I was given/drugs I was made to take in The Army!

Of course The Government are having none of it :twisted:

I'm getting hip and other joint pain now too! :(

I honestly can't remember what it's like to be completely pain free!

However, there are people far worse off than me so I do my best to just get on with it :lol:

Good Luck to your Wife Extreme! :D

Ok so, update. It's a bit more complicated than normal and no, I won't be up and about anytime within about three months after the op which hopefully should be within two weeks.

But, as many of you may remember, I've been kinda hating my role for a while now and though it's been fun living in the middle of nowhere, the emotional healing has been done so I feel ready to get back into the real world. This is a pretty big op, damage done in a similar manner to rennie that probably should have been looked at years ago. Silver linings then, with change comes opportunity. So, resigned today. Three months garden leave as I recently finished that horrible transaction anyway so didn't have a vast amount on and I explained the situation. Six months notice, compromised down to three months at home on full pay, not too shabby.

Have spoken to a few old contacts in cities and now need to decide where I'm going to move to. Birmingham, Bristol or London. Bristol I have a couple of places but I think is too small. London I have a couple of places but, meh, London. Not sure I want that again. Birmingham, I have no easy property to move into so would need to rent but might be the perfect compromise. Also, awesome cycling and biking country nearby.

Views? Where should I concentrate my job searches?!

I really like Bristol, and will be visiting my brother there at the weekend. But I think it's now the most expensive place to live in the UK outside London - property prices are ridiculous.

I find myself in Birmingham a few times a month, and surprise myself by quite liking the city centre. There's a lot going on, and lots of companies relevant to my line of work (town planning), so would probably be my choice. No idea what you do or how well it would suit though!

I really like Bristol, and will be visiting my brother there at the weekend. But I think it's now the most expensive place to live in the UK outside London - property prices are ridiculous.

I find myself in Birmingham a few times a month, and surprise myself by quite liking the city centre. There's a lot going on, and lots of companies relevant to my line of work (town planning), so would probably be my choice. No idea what you do or how well it would suit though!

Bristol has less interesting roles for me (law) but I already own property there so I could kick tenants out and move in no problem.

London has tons of jobs for me, obviously, again I own property there so living there no issue.

Birmingham, lived there before and loved it but I have no property so I'd need to rent. Surprisingly quite a lot of jobs there.

I suppose I could just live in Birmingham and commute to London, best of both worlds maybe....

I'm not sure :(. Going to head out to London in next few days to talk things over with a few contacts.

There's certainly a lot of lawyers in Birmingham - the barristers chambers I tend to use is there, and most of the solicitors firms too. But they're all in London too!

Wait a few years and the train commute between the two will be much quicker!

Personally, I'd be picking a location based on proximity to friends and prospects for work, neither of which we can really answer for you!

Wait a few years and the train commute between the two will be much quicker!

Dude. I have a very good school friend who is boss of tunnels (or something like that). He doesn't know one end of a hammer from his penis so don't get your hopes up. :lol:

If I had the choice I'd be driven by the proximity of quality curry, so unless I was moving within a reasonable distance of Southall, it would have to be Brum.

I lived in Brum, worst decision ever. They all talk funny, the city centre is w**k, the football teams are shocking, and all the motorways have average speed cameras. It's not cheap, it looks grim, and it's plagued by yoof bikelife gangs.

Nobody should ever choose Birmingham unless a gun is at their temple.

Seriously, I'd rather live in Hull.

I missed this - been busy as our daughter is just about to get married so it's chaos here....

I have a dodgy knee following a fall off a canal boat so I sympathise with the pain, but a mate of mine has had two cartilage operations recently and in both cases was back to fell walking within a fortnight.

Doctors tend to tell you the worst to cover themselves. I had my shoulder done a couple of years ago and was told it would be six weeks before I could even make myself a cup of tea. 48 hours after the op I stripped a car engine and rode to the first physio session. When I walked in through the door in the my riding gear the physio just laughed and signed me off.

The trick is to get back to being active as soon as you can. The worst you can do with any kind of op is sit around waiting for it to get better by itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Hah, just a bit more complicated than I thought - I've got primary bloody bone cancer in my knee.

Brilliant. Entire knee replacement and hope/pray that it doesn't spread. Ugh.

Right, I'm off out to get thoroughly twatted.

Sorry to hear that mate. Fingers crossed they nab it all in time.

The NHS is crap when you have a cold, but serious stuff like this and A&E trauma is where they shine. They will look after you.