Lifan 125-30 Boggs down

Vrcic

Hi guys, Problems with my chinese bike I use for work should of went a more reliable route but was new job and needed transport quickly :(

So anyways it runs fine up to 30mph after that it starts to bog down a little and uphills its even worse even in first gear it doesnt like full revs. If I slowly open the throttle and wait for it to get there its fine but I cant really do that on uphill gradients.

Would like to try and fix this myself before paying mechanic charges and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Has it always done this or is this something new ? Was it suddenly like this or was the onset gradual ? Have you changed anything however insignificant before this happened ? These are all questions that need to be asked before anyone can even begin to diagnose a fault. If you want a pure guess though I'd start by replacing the air filter. You could do a crude test by removing the filter and going for a wiz round the block. If there is an improvement you might be on the right track. On a lighter note , it takes some balls to admit to owning a Chinese bike on this forum. Hats off to you sir and welcome.

It was a new job, I was a little desperate it pays well and I couldnt let it go...anyways its relatively a new purchase so these problems are the first time I have had them and not a cause of anything suddenly different or me changing anything. If I ease off the throttle and be patient then it will accept the throttle but any full throttle always results in a bogging of power, its more noticeable in 3rd and 4th gear if I keep my shifts to very high revs it minimizes the problem but it exists still especially in 4th gear.

Its not stuck on but putting choke on stalls the engine, even at 5am it starts without the choke perfectly, so could be something wrong there.....

Starting easily without choke suggests that the bike is already partially choked by.....a dirty air filter. So have you tried running with no filter as I previously mentioned to see if there is any improvement ?

Honestly I usually let the mechanic do it for me which is expensive, I am at work until friday all day so ill try and get it apart at weekend and look at fairings, will have to take fairings off to get a look at it I am going to inspect the spark plug as well.

The symptoms sound like my bike when i was playing about with my air filter and carb :).

is it a case of throttle seems to work fine until you go over about a 1/3 of a twist then power starts to vanish, + little bursts of power untill you open fully then nothing?.

I think like fastbob says its an air filter problem, your spark condition will help confirm this.

Hopefully its just a knackered air filter pad mate i'd check along the lines going to your airbox as well and from the carb and engine make sure they are not cracked or any visible holes, or that they are not kinked/trapped.