Has anyone ever moved out of the UK permanently?

leener

Have any of you guys ever decided to make the big move? As in, totally uproot from the UK with new work, new life-style, everything new.

Where did you go?

What made you decide to do it, or did you have to do it for any reason?

Did you have to learn other languages first?

Did it work out?

I'm just curious :mrgreen:

@Xtreme has.

We upped sticks and went to live in the States. We did it with no particular aim, except that it seemed like a great opportunity. We stayed a bit under two years and we would have stayed longer except we realised, given the schooling for the kids, we really had to choose to stay for life or to come back to Blighty. We had a great time, and I'd do it again given the same situation.

As for the language over there, we kind of picked it up on the hoof :wink:

As Mr Fro said, I'm off soon (don't suppose you want to buy a KLX250, do you? :lol: ).

Going to 'Murrica because my wife was offered a job in Colorado and it seemed like a good opportunity for her and a cool adventure for both of us! And I'm just a little bit excited to be moving to a country where the emissions laws still permit the sale of air cooled 650 thumpers :thumb:

I'll say this up front, visa applications are a SHIT - the paperwork has been going on for nearly a year.

Just booked my medical exam, been on the phone all day long and it took until now to sort it.

Have any of you guys ever decided to make the big move? As in, totally uproot from the UK with new work, new life-style, everything new.

Where did you go?

What made you decide to do it, or did you have to do it for any reason?

Did you have to learn other languages first?

Did it work out?

I'm just curious :mrgreen:

Spain in 2005.

Left because we'd always hated life in Britain! It may suit some........but it didn't suit us.

Put the house up for sale......sold in 2 days......and we were in Spain in 6 weeks! It was that quick! So no time to even look at the language aspect.

Did it work out? We're still here now, never been back to Britain since......and never will.

It doesn't work out for most people here......but that's not Spain's fault.

They came wanting Britain in the sun and that's not going to happen. Generally, Brits don't learn the language or integrate in any way......so it's only a matter of time before the money runs out and they end up going back.

Would love to go to NZ.

Same here but wife won't wear it.

My mother's family moved out there in the 60's - took all their stuff and steamed over there. They were there about 3 weeks before packing up and coming back! :lol:

Colombia and Venezuela for six years.

I learnt my Spanish from drunks and people of low repute, so I talk with a slur and lots of invective. The lawless nature really suited me, didn't suit the wife so in the end we came home. Probably for the best given how I was turning feral and Caracas has now gone totally to shit.

If everybody went and lived somewhere else we'd have a lot less of the insular bigoted mindsets that seem to be so prevalent currently. But make it somewhere you have to learn a language otherwise it's just a holiday.

But make it somewhere you have to learn a language otherwise it's just a holiday.

Don't know I completely agree with you. I spent enough time in the US to find out that it is a very foreign country; for example, it felt - and still feels - far more different to me than Germany. The thing with the States is that, because the language is so similar, it's easy to imagine that people think in similar ways. And by and large they don't. On the other hand, the great thing about a different language is that it unlocks ways of thinking that are almost impossible in your own language, and this gives you a readier insight into the way the people think.

But make it somewhere you have to learn a language otherwise it's just a holiday.

Don't know I completely agree with you. I spent enough time in the US to find out that it is a very foreign country; for example, it felt - and still feels - far more different to me than Germany. The thing with the States is that, because the language is so similar, it's easy to imagine that people think in similar ways. And by and large they don't. On the other hand, the great thing about a different language is that it unlocks ways of thinking that are almost impossible in your own language, and this gives you a readier insight into the way the people think.

I'm of the bent that true learning is a product of suffering and investment. Fully agree, we are separated from Muricans by language and social history, my kids grew up not knowing what a mantelpiece was and Muricans have no idea what one is either. But using English means people speak without thinking: it's the linguistic equivalent of going to McDonalds for all of your meals...because it's predictable. There's no engagement.

Language is a development of the culture, so learning one means that you have to engage with the nation you're living in. I discovered stark differences between the method of speaking and attitudes depending on altitude and proximity to the sea. I'm not sure you get that when adding "y'all", "buddy" or "grits" to a personal lexicon.

I'm of the bent that true learning is a product of suffering and investment. Fully agree, we are separated from Muricans by language and social history, my kids grew up not knowing what a mantelpiece was and Muricans have no idea what one is either. But using English means people speak without thinking: it's the linguistic equivalent of going to McDonalds for all of your meals...because it's predictable. There's no engagement.

Language is a development of the culture, so learning one means that you have to engage with the nation you're living in. I discovered stark differences between the method of speaking and attitudes depending on altitude and proximity to the sea. I'm not sure you get that when adding "y'all", "buddy" or "grits" to a personal lexicon.

I only done NY.

But what a peculiar place that is.

I have a mate who emigrated out there in the mid 90's and the first time we went over was a huge culture shock. Backwards even.

Now my mates black. Growing up where we did it made no difference at all. Live and lived in a mixed multi cultural society.

Anyway.

1999 me n some of the lads go over for the Lennox v holyfield fight. Staying at said mate Julians.

Land at Newark. Late and pissed . Julians crammed us all into car and we head for Jamaica Queens. Stopping only for some tinnies as it's too late to go into Manhattan.

Following morning.

Outside on doorstep having a cig when 2 old black woman literally trip over themselves.

"Julian. 2 woman just fallen over ha ha "

"Oh aye forgot to mention lads you lot the only white men in a 5 mile radius ha ha ha "

Same crack over the years.

Fast forward to 2003.

Walking round central park with Julians daughter (my God daughter) on me shoulders you would have thought I was a fxxxxxx serial killer the looks I was getting.

The most horrible segregated racist place on earth.

If everybody went and lived somewhere else we'd have a lot less of the insular bigoted mindsets that seem to be so prevalent currently. But make it somewhere you have to learn a language otherwise it's just a holiday.

I've often said this.

f**k national service, just make everyone go and live somewhere else for a while, somewhere not "first world". Let people see what "poor" really means and how nice it is not to have to choose between bankruptcy or having to let someone die. Let people see others working as long as they can still walk just to make ends meet. Let people see that having internet and a big TV is a privilege, not a right. Let them see how foreign local news differs to what the western media portrays. Live somewhere where you are the foreigner.

/ranty sermon

I've often said this.

f**k national service, just make everyone go and live somewhere else for a while, somewhere not "first world". Let people see what "poor" really means and how nice it is not to have to choose between bankruptcy or having to let someone die. Let people see others working as long as they can still walk just to make ends meet. Let people see that having internet and a big TV is a privilege, not a right. Let them see how foreign local news differs to what the western media portrays. Live somewhere where you are the foreigner.

/ranty sermon

Agree

Move to Lancashire for a year :wink:

One thing I would add to this is it's only when you live outside the UK over a long period you realise how small a world you actually lived in......and how blinkered you actually were.

We don't choose where we're born......but we can choose where we want to spend our lives.

My only regret is it took me 51 years to figure that out!

...Let them see how foreign local news differs to what the western media portrays...

Getting drunk watching Chavez host his three-hour "Hello Mr. President!" show was compulsory viewing, every Sunday. :lol:

https://youtu.be/g5fjZJPAuXk

Haha, you know, it's funny... All this time I've been watching Trump's little tirades and outbursts and anti-media rhetoric, all I could think was he'd make a damn good dictator. Convince everyone that the media/world is lying to them and hold them in fear. At least he bothered to learn enough English to ridicule Bush in his own language. Don't think Trump will extend the same courtesy to "Rocket Man".

I'm seriously considering the move... But where to? :scratch: As a software developer, I want to find some work, but no idea about visas, culture, languages. Only one way to find out, and that is to do it.

Never want to come back to the UK, ever.

Somewhere cold would be nice :) . I can't stand the muggy summers in the UK - I'd rather be on an iceberg, in which case I will consult some eskimo people.

It's really interesting to hear other people's stories about moving abroad, what they did, and about fitting in.

Apparently, lots of UK citizens are seriously considering moving to Canada, following the Brexit cuffuffle.