Phone Replacement from Carphone Warehouse?

Joeman

Anyone had a phone replaced by Carphone Warehouse?

I smashed my Galaxy and went in yesterday to order a replacement under my insurance. Had to pay a 60quid excess. Today I went to collect my replacement phone and they just handed it to me and didn't ask for the broken one back!

Was this a mistake? Do i still owe them a broken phone? Or am I now the proud owner of two Galaxy S8+ phones, the broken one I can easily sell for much more than the 60quid excess.... Seems too good to be true

How are you finding the s8 compared to what you had before?

It's the S8+ so it's quite big, took a while to get used to but it's a very good phone. Highly recommended.

I always bought Google Nexus devices before and they were excellent too, but the S8+ is a better phone than the current Google's phones.

You're lucky! my wifes phone is only about 7 months old (S7), it overheated really badly the one night whilst charging, so just unplugged it as I thought the battery would pop one on us! and it hasn't worked since, my provider (3 mobile) recommended warranty repair with Samsung, so 2 weeks later they sent it back saying that whatever was wrong was not covered under warranty, I argued the point but to no avail, and on top they wouldn't actually tell me what the fault was! so eventually had to phone up 3 rescue plan and fork out £80 for a new phone, then I have to send the old one back within 14 days else I get charged another £50!

That's sucks.. s7 is a good phone too.

I'm still using my broken one, so have a brand new S8+ just sat on the shelf.

Waiting for anyone to contact me asking for the broken phone back!

I'd give it a couple of weeks and see if they ask for it, if not free phone :D .

I've never bothered insuring smartphones, the monthly fee is a rip off then there's the excess, the last ones I've had I've never done anything to.

I've currently got an iPhone 6S Plus which I've had since November 2015 and I managed to crack the screen on that about 5 months into ownership but it's not too badly cracked so have just lived with it.

Looking at replacing with a Blackberry KeyOne next time round.

I think Apples computers are great, much prefer Mac OS X to Windows but not really sold on their phones to be honest.

Yeah, waiting a few weeks before doing anything..

It's the first phone I ever insured.. 14quid a month I think it costs plus 60quid excess, so not cheap but I read the reviews on the S8+ and they all said it's highly likely to smash the screen and sure enough three months in, I've smashed it.

If I get to keep the old phone each time I break it, I'm going to make a tidy profit!

I had an S6 that over heated to the point the charging port started to burn and smoke. Soon as I told Samsung this I got a brand new one delivered without fuss I'm exchange for the old on, the phone was about 18 months old too.

I had an S6 that over heated to the point the charging port started to burn and smoke. Soon as I told Samsung this I got a brand new one delivered without fuss I'm exchange for the old on, the phone was about 18 months old too. Soon as you mention fire and risk of burning your house down they wont argue :thumb:

If they are gonna send emails like that out when it's their cock up I'll make sure I never use them.

They made it onto the same list as all the trump brands.

I take it you've signed Sophie up for several email subscriptions and used her work account to join a few perverted BDSM "sad man looking for a weak woman because he has issues" websites?

I took the phone back and the girl i spoke to in the shop told me they always cringe when they know one of those emails has been sent out as it sounds so nasty and they never know how the recipient will react.

Had the manger have been there I would have said something like "oh you're the one sending me the nasty emails then" and laughed it off. Seems they really don't like sending them out.

No point having a go at anyone in the store, it's clearly corporate policy to send out emails designed to scare people into submission. It not a nice way to do business, but then which large corporations are nice to customers these days??

• 5 weeks later...

Some years ago my phone broke and Carphone gave me a loaner but I had to leave a deposit, which I paid by card but left it in their card machine when I left. By the time I noticed I couldn't think where I'd left it so cancelled it. When I went to collect my repaired phone I asked if I'd left my card last week.

Oh yes, its here in the till.

Why didn't you let me know?

We didn't know how to contact you.

Cue explosion. I'd just paid for a phone with it!!! I've had a contract here for 6 years!!!

If they weren't all sharing one brain cell perhaps they could have worked out how to phone me.

Ha! [mention]bmwdave[/mention] I had something similar many years ago, had my phone into 02 to fix, they wouldn't give me a hire so a bought a ten quid PAYG thing and stuck my SIM card in. A week later I called to chase up the progress, oh yeah it's been back a couple of days but we lost your number. YOU GAVE ME MY NUMBER :evil: