Motorbike Coms - software designer?

Now I have been pondering bike coms and how bloody expensive they are for what you get.

Connecting easily particularly across brands is no goer.

My thoughts for coms... A Box on the bike that:

1) Can connect to multiple (8 +) local bluetooth devices be it phone, satnav, headset (of any kind), laptop tablet etc similtaniously.

2) Has small touch Screen,

3) Waterproof,

4) Ideally with a combination of Cell phone, Wifi, Communication Radio functions, CB and other civilian UHF/VHF Types.

Now for the software side:

This should be able to link any of the bluetooth devices for coms in any combination with multiple audio streaming... With the software to cross connect against brands Senna, Cardo, AutoComs etc

So this device could take music from your phone and stream it to you and your riding buddies whilst allowing coms, using any headset you choose on your helmet.

Using No 4 you could then connect to some of the older sets that require VHF/UHF radios and use CD Radio to connect with riding buddies with similar set ups over greater distance. If designed correctly you could pull in all the coms to others connected.

Basically its a super connected tablet/ phone.

Then in todays world it might be cheaper finding a conference call facility with auto reconnect and use everyones free minutes from their mobiles!

I’m surprised that you cant get a pair of bluetooth helmet specific speakers that just pair to your phone.

Also if someone could make an actual decent looking phone specific waterproof case you’d have everything you need (providing you can make a Bluetooth app that connects you to up to 8 others. Could put an antenna in the water proof case)

I was hoping some one on here would say actually using a raspberry...

Having done a little homework on this... Bluetooth can have longer range than 10m as I have paired Bluetooth headsets across bikes and got up to about 500m (line of sight) although household stuff does not make that range?

I have thought about phones and tablets the problem is they can only pair with one bluetooth device at a time Scalapack talk can manage 2. They say 4 but I think they sort of share?

The idea of using your phones wifi and a conferencing system sounds good because they you could use wired or bluetooth to your chosen earpiece/ headset and use the phone to transmit the Wifi.... I seemless connection possible? and bridging (connect 4 phones and signal can jump to and from strongest rather than having to be close to the hub?) ? Processing power should be there on most handsets....

I do like the idea of screen sharing your phone to the device so you can use your phone as a satnav at same time.....

• 1 month later...

Errr. ...just got a new phone (Huawei p8 lite). I've got a scala Cardo rider headset.....wanted to use my phone as GPS and audio source to listen to music. Phone connected to headset but only Bluetooth connection that worked was phone t headset. GPS app, phone music would only play through phone speakers. Solution: go to play store and download BT mono to your phone. Just activate the app while linked to the headset and you will find that you can now listen to music, GPS, etc.

Hope this helps

S23.

Errr. ...just got a new phone (Huawei p8 lite). I've got a scala Cardo rider headset.....wanted to use my phone as GPS and audio source to listen to music. Phone connected to headset but only Bluetooth connection that worked was phone t headset. GPS app, phone music would only play through phone speakers. Solution: go to play store and download BT mono to your phone. Just activate the app while linked to the headset and you will find that you can now listen to music, GPS, etc.

Hope this helps

S23.

I am on Samsung S5 and Packtalk never had that issue but then welcome to the world of cardo strange things happen!