Noob advice...practising

Passed my CBT and theory, have my Mod 1 on Monday. I bought a lexmoto125 just to practice on for a few weeks, only been out a few times so far, practicing figure of 8s, driving along country roads, bypass etc. I'm fine on the road, riding along, gears changes not too bad but my ride out last night got me a bit jumpy. I'm really struggling with hill starts, usually forget to release back brake. I had one crisis of confidence when doing 50-60 along a country road (two lane, easy road), just a brief thought that what if I couldn't stop for some reason. Soon passed, told myself I should be enjoying this and rode home fine, after messing up another two hillstarts.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing wrong, I'm overthinking it. I bought the bike to work today (first time!), only 3 miles, easy run, few roundabouts, traffics lights, really enjoyed the run in so its not all bad.

So I guess just looking for general advice, tips, shared experience. I'm assuming the more I practice the more relaxed I'll get, I'm trying to think and do too much. I'm going to try and get out as much as possible this weekend before my mod 1.

The bike doesn't help, overall its fine, cheap, goes well given my size - but the throttle is playing up, sometimes when I twist it it clicks then engine dies, does that a few times then the throttle seems to 'fix itself', ie, doesn't click and all good. Though I notice if I release it, it goes back to starting point, however you can rotate it further back which can't be right.

I'm dropping it off with the dealer on Monday as I'm doing my training with them, hopefully they'll sort it but obviously I'm thinking about that when I'm riding as well.

Overall though, loving the idea of biking, mostly loving it when I'm out and certainly did this morning, looking forward to big bike and really liking the comradery from other 'bikers'.

Welcome :thumb:

I never had problems with hill start so cant help there, but I would imagine a bike that losses power when pulling away cant be helping, you pretty much need confidence in what your riding, there are plenty of other things to worry about lol.

Practice practice practice and throw in some lessons along the way, its always good to make sure your not getting bad habits and have some experienced pointers.

Good luck.

Yep, practice , practice , practice . But don't forget to enjoy as well, try picking a destination on a map and spend an afternoon riding there and back . This way your riding will become more natural and your instincts will develop so that you will have some head space left for remembering the extra things you have to do to satisfy the examiner. As for your dodgy throttle , sounds like a frayed cable . You definitely don't need the added distraction of an unpredictable bike so hopefully your mechanic will sort it out. Good luck.

I'm assuming the more I practice the more relaxed I'll get.

Yes for sure.

When I first passed my test, I used to terrify myself coming home from work doing 70mph on the dual carriageway - what if I come off now? :shock: Nowadays 70 seems a bit tame and I have to work hard to stick to it. :oops:

That clicking sound you're hearing is probably the throttle arm twisting back over the stopper in the kill switch housing. The click is the cable bip knocking against the stopper sides and springing the plastic wall. (its all plastic in a lexmoto!) had a similar issue with my lexmoto when i brought her new, i ended up replacing the entire throttle system myself and it hasn't happened since. (touch wood)

I had passed my CBT the same day I brought my bike, from a dealer 16miles away. And I rode it home shitting myself. right down the A60! The best thing I learnt was to ride as much as you can on familiar roads. Don't think what you need to do to change gears. focus on the road, learn to get the feel when you need to switch up and down. Youll pick it all up pretty fast if you find a quiet road or car park to get used to the engine sounds in 1st 2nd and 3rd. Once you know those hints and tones, 4th and 5th are when you want top end out of a 125. Its normal to be anxious and overthink. just focus on enjoying the ride and learning the feel for how the bike responds to your inputs.

I picked up hillstarts pretty fast. I usually slacken off the back brake at the same rate I release the clutch and give gas. Clutch in, Brake on. then slowly release both together. get to know your biting point. When I'm stopped at lights I sit a cars length behind whoevers infront of me and feather my clutch to feel where it bites and starts to pull then pull in the clutch again instantly without giving any throttle. (You'll only stall it with a jerk and look like a prat if you fully release it afterall!)

Good luck on your test though!

I did my CBT back in January, got a bike a few weeks later and wondered what on earth I'd bothered for as all of a sudden I was sat on an unfamiliar bike (I also have a lexmoto btw, its not fallen apart on me yet lol) kept stalling and dropped it twice the first day hahaha. It took me three weeks to get off my own street because I was just going round the block absolutely shitting myself, finally progressed to riding to work, actually made the husband drive in front of me and I followed him just in case I died. I'm so dramatic.

I hated hill starts at first too, but you will get used to it. :)

I'm going bike shopping next weekend for my first 'proper' bike as I passed mod2 last week so you will definitely get there!

agreed practice practice practice. will soon relax into it mate just comes with experience few months in like myself you will find yourself rocking forward on the bike at 65 willing it to move lol

just enjoy and ride at your comfort level dont feel you have to open the taps just for the convenience of cars around you they can wait, and watch your speed in the corners till your feeling more confidant :)

thanks again, really good to hear. I'm already wishing the 125 was faster so that is a good sign!

My CBT was a baptism of fire, not bad weather all day, and as I actually did a CBT years ago (but never followed up riding) they mostly left me alone to practice and concentrated on the 16 yr old that was with us. No issues all day, really happy then time for the ride out. We'd been delayed as the young guy wasn't doing great so by the time he was ready we were a few hours over and into rush hour in Swansea!

We head out and after 10-15mins the skies opened. Torrential rain, bouncing off the roads. The young guy actually did great once on the road. I was also doing well til I got to a junction that immediately turned up a steep hill with a zebra crossing. I stalled. The first instructor and the kid were already on their way and didn't stop. The back up instructor stayed with me. I didn't panic, but it took a lot of effort to get the bike going - there was a flood of water coming down the hill! Stalled another few times, lots of cars backing up, but eventually got it going. We'd lost the main instructor by then but I followed my guy around Swansea (he had no mic), we took a different route back down one of the busiest roads, loads of traffic lights and I had no issues.

Finally got back to the dealer, on the main road coming in a water main had burst, in a dip, all the road and pavements were flooded. My instructor took his bike through, I did the same - it was well up over my feet but made it through.

Got back and despite all that, I loved it, was buzzing. The instructor said he didn't know if he'd make it through the water but there wasn't time to stop. They also said it was some of the worst rain they'd rode in and if it had started before our ride out we'd have cancelled as it was dangerous. We were all like drowned rats.

So an experience, amazing instructors who made the day enjoyable. Could explain why I'm nervous about hill starts though!

Just an update...spent a few hours on my bike yesterday, drove around Swansea, then up towards Brecon...and loved it! Felt like it was coming together. I'd discovered 'counter steering' videos on line and that made corners feel much more natural. I knew where things were on the bike (indicators) so it meant I didn't need to look and less concentration required - more time for checks etc.

So much more positive today, and its clicked, I got why biking is so much fun. I even had just over 60mph out of my 125, not bad as I'm 17.5 stone. Was a long downhill!

Starting my mod 1 training in two hours...

Failed!!! Right at the start :( Gust of wind caught me off guard (horrible weather) at the start of the slalom and I clipped a cone. didn't know it over, just wobbled it. Instant fail. Did the rest of the stuff no issue.

Booked in again, and on a lighter note I was offered a deal on a bike I was eyeing up and have paid a deposit on a Mt07 tracer! Just a small matter of passing now...

Oh no, thought it was just a minor if you didn't knock it over just dinked it!?

Glad I wasn't aware of that when I did my mod 1 or it would have been more pressure 😩

Good to see you've re-booked straight away. That was pure bad luck that, I'm sure you will smash it again next time :)