Theory Test Passed

8 o'clock this morning in Rhyl, so I could get it done without taking any time from work.

In case you book a theory test in Rhyl, there are about 10 car spaces on the road opposite the test centre which are limited to an hour, but only between 8am and 6pm, so turning up at 7:35 for a 7:45 registration, for an 8am test :thumb: worked perfectly, as I had the space until 9am regardless, and that was plenty of time.

Pleasant staff, including a biker (pretty obviously - he had the uniform of forearm sleeve-tattoos and a long chin-beard) who wished me well on test, 'we don't get many bikers in for tests'.

I had read all the guff when I booked my appointment, but I was still a little bit surprised at the thoroughness of the security - not even allowed a watch on my wrist! (And my watch is mechanical - no battery, never mind on-board memory / bluetooth / wifi etc).

Anyway:

Theory: 50 out of 50

Hazard: 61 out of 75

PASS

There were a couple of questions that caught me out - I had no idea at first read, whether one should approach one's motorcycle when parked on a two-way street from the left or the right, and once astride the machine, with or without the brakes applied... :scratch:

I'm pretty sure that stuff's not in the Highway Code.

I decided I would approach from the left (where the pavement was likely to be) and given the choice between having the front brake on or off - given that I didn't know if there was a slope, or a wind, or a camber, or mischievous goblins pushing at my wheels - I decided brake ON was more correct than stating categorically that I would always choose NOT to put the brake on.

And I was right.

It's a bit frustrating that I don't know which hazard scenarios I scored well or badly on - except that I know I didn't do well on the clip with two hazards on - principally because I couldn't tell you which clip had two hazards :scratch: and because in the summary sheet, it confirms I scored only 4 out of the possible 10 for the two-hazard clip. So either I scored badly twice, or OK for one and missed the other completely - either of these outcomes feels possible to me.

I do know that one of the clips put me as the rider in a horrid position in a car's blind spot on his right shoulder, and 'I' (the POV rider) didn't even learn the error of my ways when the car driver swung across in front of me on an acceleration lane, because 'I' then assumed the same position in their blind spot on the main carriageway and surprise-surprise, they swung across in front of me again when they wanted later to change lanes!

I was the hazard in that clip, not the poor thick car driver, who had a story to tell when he got to work of the stupid biker who repeatedly crept up on him where he couldn't see them.

Onward and upward - I have my Theory Test Certificate in hand, and a place booked on Sunday morning at a Get On taster session, so I can sit on a bike for the first time in 30 years and not have to go through that nervous new-ness on my CBT.

I do know that one of the clips put me as the rider in a horrid position in a car's blind spot on his right shoulder, and 'I' (the POV rider) didn't even learn the error of my ways when the car driver swung across in front of me on an acceleration lane, because 'I' then assumed the same position in their blind spot on the main carriageway and surprise-surprise, they swung across in front of me again when they wanted later to change lanes!

I was the hazard in that clip, not the poor thick car driver, who had a story to tell when he got to work of the stupid biker who repeatedly crept up on him where he couldn't see them.

hahahahah ah those videos are terrible. Congratulations on the pass :cheers: