Gloves: over or under?

As per the title, the, er, great debate of our time.. do you prefer to have your gloves over or under the cuffs of your jacket?

I've always gone for gloves over jacket cuffs, to me it makes more sense - more waterproof/windproof (?) and more comfortable.

However I just bought an RST cpx c textile jacket and the cuffs are really bulky, so I'm wondering if it's more normal to have them over the gloves?

It depends on whether you ride with elbows up or elbows down. If you have elbows up then you need the gloves inside. If you ride elbows down then gloves outside.

The elbow position will depend on the type of bike you have.

My jacket is specifically designed to have the gloves inside the cuff... inside the cuff and over the Goretex liner sleeve extension, the outer layer of the sleeve then goes over the gloves... Ive never had wet hands/wrists since i got my head round this somewhat weird system. weird.. but it works really well.

Over AND Under.. 8-)

205686246_ScreenShot2017-10-10at15_18_30.thumb.png.c69b517eeaee85e283fbdbfbb66fdd9c.png

My jacket is specifically designed to have the gloves inside the cuff... inside the cuff and over the Goretex liner sleeve extension, the outer layer of the sleeve then goes over the gloves... Ive never had wet hands/wrists since i got my head round this somewhat weird system. weird.. but it works really well.

Over AND Under.. 8-)

Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 15.18.30.png

What jacket be that out of interest?

I think it depends a lot on what you wear, both in the case of jacket and gloves. And to be honest it's the same discussion when it comes to boots - over or under. My understanding is that leathers are specifically designed to be worn inside/under gloves and boots whereas most textile jackets are designed to be worn outside/over gloves and boots. Of course there are also gloves and boots that are specifically designed either to be worn over or under.

I have worn a Rukka textile two-piece for the past ten years and just recently I switched to a Klim Latitude two-piece. Both of those work much better with the gloves under, but as stated above I ride with elbows up as I have a touring bike so I'm sure that is a factor. But I have made sure to buy gloves and boots that are designed to fit inside/under, so no bulky armoured parts. My son, by comparison, bought a pair of gloves with bulky wrist protection which he is struggling to get under his textile jacket but which don't either accommodate the jacket under them too well. So worst of both worlds.

Moral of the story is decide which way you plan to dress and select your gear appropriately.

Over for me. I used to wear them under on sports bikes when it was raining, to stop the rain going into the gloves though.

No sports bikes now, so over all the time.

Remember what the glove cuff is actually there to do .

Its to protect that lovely area where a major artery runs .

So regardless if it being under ( if its pissing down saves water running into the glove) or over ( normal running allows a less frictional path if an unplanned dismount happens and the jacket cuff is not pushed up the forearm if forward monentum tries .

Make sure it fits comfortable in which ever method and has the best chance to do its job if required.

Annoyingly my gloves won't fit under my jacket. So the water runs in. And they're gortex so it don't come back out again :crybaby:

Cut a hole in the fingers!

Problem solved! :popcorn:

:up:

Just can't help some people!

It depends on the glove and jacket. The winter gloves are designed to go over the cuff and tighten with a toggle. The summer gloves go under one jacket and over the other. Best for the rain is over and tighten with the toggle.

Yeah, my goretex jacket is the same combined under/over affair that Gerontious has.

Rae was bang on the money with what he said about the angle of your arm - but also I fidget a lot so the double overlap is a godsend :lol:

All that said, I wear my winter gloves as rarely as possible - much preferred my summer gloves. I say preferred because I lost one of them on the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride :evil:

I wear short gloves all year round so have no choice but to go under.

It’s alright. Get a bit cold and a bit wet when it’s hammering down but they look better, imo, and that is all that counts.

Ever.

Yeah, my goretex jacket is the same combined under/over affair that Gerontious has.

Rae was bang on the money with what he said about the angle of your arm - but also I fidget a lot so the double overlap is a godsend :lol:

All that said, I wear my winter gloves as rarely as possible - much preferred my summer gloves. I say preferred because I lost one of them on the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride :evil:

Am after a gortex jacket. What's the jacket you have with the funky sleeves?

For what its worth.. My jacket and trousers are both from Rukka and bought back in 2012. As far as i know these double sleeves are only on some of the jackets, which tend to be very pricey - even more so since this Brexit Fiasco. But... you often see them offered at very good prices second hand on eBay and can represent a bargain especially when you consider that Goretex has a lifetime warranty independent of the original makers warranty. (Rukka) so.. if it leaks Goretex will sort it out for you. This Goretex lifetime warranty applies to undamaged goods... so they wont cover a jacket thats been crashed.. or otherwise abused.

I paid just under £800 for my jacket and it was definitely one of my better buying decisions. Rukka are absolutely ideal for the UK climate... just a bit too much maybe for those rare hot days in mid summer when the temperature is above 25c.

Cheers. Was looking at rukka. Good to know about the goretex warranty as well as looking on eBay but a bit concerned about an older jackets waterproofness.

I got a Rukka jacket off ebay about 3 years ago. It's been bomb-proof so far.

Previous to that I'd bought some HG goretex trousers off ebay but they leaked like seive. I sent them back to goretex, and since the trousers were no longer in production, goretex sent me a cheque which I put towards a new pair of Rukka pants.

I need to wear my gloves under my jacket, cause the sleeves are too long :roll:

My new gloves are longer than my summer gloves, which is proving to be rather annoying. I may end up just sticking with summer gloves and a liner during winter.

From a pure maximise safety point of view, gloves offer more protection if worn over the cuffs, simply because if worn under, the raw edge of the sleeve cuff is exposed and can ride up exposing the forearm and in some cases slpit along the seams.

The same also applies to boots worn under leathers. This is a common issue and I have lost count of the number of serious injuries caused as a result of the leather riding up.

The argument that it must be safe because racing riders do something does not hold weight because the displines of racing and road riding are very different, hence why wearing a 1 piece leather on the road is not as safe as a 2 piece (but this is a seperate discussion which we have had before)

I have seen the problem of raw edges riding up and leaving parts of the body exposed on many occasions as part of my case studies into kit.

But, kit is evolving, and with textile kit, it is always going to be something of a compromise. Manufacturers are looking at ways to make cold weather and winter riding more of an enjoyable experience, but you cannot cater for every situation and of course it tends to be bulkier than leather, so sometimes gloves under are the only viable option.

But if you understand that it is a potential safety compromise, then fair enough, at least the majority of your body is protected..