Quiet helmets

As the sales seem to be starting, I'm thinking of getting myself a full-face helmet to compliment my current flip-front one. I want to get one which is at least predominantly if not entirely white, and am keen to try and get one which is as quiet as possible.

I'm planning to go to J&S and CMC to try on as many as I can, but that's not going to tell me how quiet they are at speed, so wanted to know if there were any particular helmets to go for, or to avoid.

I really like the fit of my HJC, and want to keep the budget as low as possible, but other than that don't really know where to start!

Everyone's head being different, this might not apply. However I found my Shark helmet to be fantastically quiet, however it pressed too much against my forehead.

My AVG K5 on the other hand is very loud in comparison. Possibly due to the high number of vents in it.

Can't offer any help but posting so I can keep track of this thread.

My current AGV helmet has always suffered with high wind noise at motorway speeds but was counteracted with Auritech ear plugs. However, I've just upgraded from my CB650F to a 2016 Honda Crossrunner and the wind noise is barely bearable on the motorway with the AGV and Auritech ear plugs so also looking for opinions on whether any particular branded helmets are better than others in the 'quiet' department?!

The problem is that one persons noisy is another persons silence and so it is very subjective,

I have used GV for a number of years and I find them superbly quiet. Shark and HJC I find are (for me) some of the noisiest helmets on the planet (and I always wear ear plugs) so it comes down to personal experience and how a helmet fits which will determine how quiet it will be.

No easy answer as which ones to avoid as all hats have to comply with EC22/05, all helmets sold in the UK exceed EC22/05 and you are by and large paying for a name, the features and a fancy paint job.

It all comes down to fit and your budget.

I bought my first helmet recently and took some advice from the chap at J&S. I ended up with an HJC IS-17, and one of the key features is that the vents direct air around your head but avoiding your ears. I was out riding for the first time today for a few hours and didn't wear ear plugs, on a Lexmoto 125. I didn't think it sounded noisy at all, and I was concerned because I'd read that most people recommend ear plugs.

So, that's my recommendation. The IS-17 retails at around £150 and comes in gloss white with included pinlock. I got mine in a sale for £50 though it wasn't my preferred colour, and didn't have the pinlock.

Schuberth are meant to be really quiet......not tried one, but that's what I've heard (pun not intended)...... 8-)

On of the noisiest I have ever worn and not overly impressed with build quality.

So again, it os subjective and down to personal opinion which is why you can ask 10 riders for their opinions and get 10 different opinions.

My Shoei is certainly quieter than my HJC, but the internal sun visor on the Shoei is slightly longer meaning the wind gets under the internal visor of the Shoei and makes my eyes water.. very annoying.

Shoei with the HJC internal visor would be perfect for me.

Shoeis on discount at infinity at the moment..

Noisiness depends a lot on the bike and the biker (what kind of position you ride in) too, so it's hard to give concrete recommendations. That said, the most comprehensive reviews for noise I've ever found are on web bike world.

The quietest lid I've ever used was the Shoei Qwest. The GT-Air I have now is quite a bit noisier.

Don't forget too that a good screen can reduce noise a lot. It doesn't even have to be bigger to reduce noise, just being more aerodymanic can do it. Also a chin curtain can reduce noise. I ripped mine out of the GT-Air, as the ventilation was poor with it in.

Depends on your bike.

I have:

Shark Vision R Very quite naked bike ridiculously loud on trophy behind screen.

HJC TR1 not bad noise wise but crap peripheral vision,

Givi FLip Front not bad all round on noise but not as quite as shark on unfaired bike.

I rode a couple of miles with other half Shuberth on C3? Not quite at all for me & she complains...

It caries as others say on how you sit and angle of head to wind. SOme say the wind noise comes from underneath others the edges of visor and other sticky out bits... To me its all its just some helmets better than others...

SOme say the wind noise comes from underneath others the edges of visor and other sticky out bits... To me its all its just some helmets better than others...

I think a lot of it has to do with the bike you ride and your posture on it.

I'm a Shoei guy which I think are reasonably quiet on a sportsbike however, when I've ridden a touring type bike the same helmet has been really noisy.

I've also had the reverse with a touring type lid (think it's an HJC) where not only was it noisy on a sportsbike but the wind got under it and pushed it up on my head.

• 1 month later...

Having almost forgotten I was even considering a new helmet, I found myself at CMC today in front of a HJC RPHA 11 Eridano, which was down in price from £329 originally to £199 in the sale, to £99 for this weekend only! A scan of reviews seemed to indicate that it's not necessarily going to tick the "quiet" box, but it does very well in all other regards, and I like the fit of my current HJC after a year, so I bought it.

Came in a silver and white HJC anniversary colour scheme which should be nice and visible and included both a pinlock insert and a second visor with a light smoke tint which seemed very good value.

The fit was good, very comfortable with glasses, and a nice wide aperture too. Only obvious downside is the lack of an integrated sun visor.

Haven't worn it out yet, but will do a review once I've spent some time on the roads with it.

hjc_rpha-11_eridano_silver-white.jpg

Edited by Lateralus

• 2 weeks later...

My first helmet was a Scorpion EXO combat thing, looked pretty cool but jings man it was as loud as a 80s ghetto blaster. I genuinely had a headache last about a day and a half after a 2 hour ride, it wasn’t much better with earplugs too.

My thought process was simple, which ones are popular with motorcycle vloggers? A stroke of genuis if I do say so myself. I picked up an Icon Variant, virtually silent but it just doesn’t really suit my cafe racer style street scrambler....neither does my bright orange alpinestars scion jacket now that I think of it :mrgreen:

We use Shark helmets with noise cancelling headphones both work fine. This summer l change the screen on the Busa to one of these

https://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Suzuki_GSX1300R_Hayabusa_2008_Onwards_MRA_Adjustable_Motorcycle_Touring_Screens.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0Pqm6vaB2AIVTbvtCh3toQ71EAQYASABEgJMJfD_BwE#a51828

What a massive difference in both noise reduction and rider comfort.