Bike Security

Hi all, I primarily keep my bike in my back garden, but I work nights and my neighbour is moaning that I am waking her up when I get in on a morning, so I may have to reluctantly leave it on the street during the day (it will never be out at night, it will either be at work with me, or in my back garden) I only have a chain for it at the moment, and my step dad has been on telling me to get some more security for it, I have been looking at disk locks on halfords, but have read that the oxford locks are rubbish and that the Abus granite ones are the best. The only ones I have seen on that website are for push bikes...does that matter? There's one that comes with some cable and I've no idea what its for: Abus Grantit D Lock combo pack, plus I think Id want a couple of extra bits and bobs for it as well, maybe a couple of them mini disc lock things as well.

I am absolutely not leaving it on my front before I get any kind of extra security for it, tbh, i think she just likes to moan and I work 4 on 4 off so it's not even 'every day' She was moaning about the noise all last week and Im like ive not even used my fecking bike for two weeks, wind your neck in. I do plan on paving my front eventually and sinking some of them thingies in the ground but at present I am super skint from buying the bike

For context, it's a mid terraced house with a shared ginnel and it's the door banging that she takes exception too. I do try to be as quiet as possible but sometimes the wind will whip the door out of my hand before I have the chance to stop it from slamming shut. I mean I could understand if it was every day but it isn't and I also appreciate its like 6:30 in the morning (she said 5:45 but didn't want to stoke the flames haha) and I try so bloody hard to make sure I wheel my bike in slowly and lock the ginnel door as soon as the back of my wheel rolls through allowing the door to slowly close.

Wouldn't mind but they wake me up all the time :roll: but I work nights so I take it on the chin

I swear to god one of these days I will ride through that ginnel

Hi all, I primarily keep my bike in my back garden, but I work nights and my neighbour is moaning that I am waking her up when I get in on a morning,

For context, it's a mid terraced house with a shared ginnel and it's the door banging that she takes exception too.

Take a few seconds and stop the door from banging.. that seems the easiest answer to me. A disc lock is alright for short periods in random places - BUT. its no use at all if your bike starts to appear regularly in the same place - (outside your house during the daytime) and is spotted by thieves. A disc lock is useless if they really want the bike.

But.. there are a lot of choices as far as disc locks go and maybe someone else will give you a better idea than i can.

In my opinion the best security of all is keeping the bike out of sight.. if bike thieves don't know where the bike is, if they cant see it. Then they're not going to be taking it... or damaging it while they try to. so... sort that door.

It is very rare it bangs she was just looking for a moan because I forgot I'd left it open when I brought my new bike in yesterday afternoon and she was practically screeching at the door about it being every day when the last person to have it open and banging was her bloody fella, so I just think it doesn't matter how careful I am she's just going to moan. I'm not really sure what to do to stop it though as there's nothing it can latch on to once it's open, I use the bike itself to stop it moving which TBH has been working quite well so I'm not sure what else she wants from me. If she can hear me closing it and locking it I fail to see how that's any different to me shutting my front door which is right next to the ginnel door and surely she can't stop me using it? (She has access but it's my ginnel)

I guess leaving it on my front is a bad idea il just have to continue to be as careful as I can. Just pee'd me off knowing it is a rare occurrence that it will get away from me and she's practically screaming in my face when I've not even used it recently 😤

Edit* also fully aware that I'm probably moaning more than my neighbour right now 😂😂 (ntrly that's impossible)

Use a brick to hold it open?

Or tie a bit of string to the door so you can hold it open as you push the bike through and gently release the string to let it close (assuming it's spring loaded)

It's her problem, not yours. So long as you do everything you can to avoid it slamming she has nothing to complain about.

I certainly wouldn't be leaving it out on the street just because of her!

Regarding door.. use something to hold it open.

Wouldn't leave my bike in the street just because of my neighbour!! Tell her to do one ;)

As for security.. what chain do you have? Oxford ones are crap and can be bolt cropped in seconds,

I really recommend Almax chains but they are a bit expensive. Together with a ground anchor in your back garden + a good disc lock it will be pretty secure.

If it's 5.45 in a morning and you get in at 6.30 then she is already awake :scratch:

Sounds like someone else might be waking her and blaming you!

I would just take steps to stop the gate slamming

I'd rev the shit out of it one day whilst screaming YOU WANT SOMETHING TO MOAN ABOUT YOU OLD BAG I'LL GIVE YOU SOMETHING TO MOAN ABOUT

I'd then change the locks on the ginnel and tell her to do one

Take her out for dinner. She's lonely and is attracted to you. Often people mask attraction as dislike as they are scared of rejection. By complaining she is finding ways to talk to you. Take her out for dinner and drinks and show her a good time. As a good friend used to say 'a couple of good kidney punches whilst in the process of impregnating solves many problems'. He was quite the romantic you know.

Nothing to say that hasn't already been said above - I wouldn't be leaving the bike on view no matter how well locked up it is. If thieves know where it is and want it they'll take it whatever locks you fit. Keep it out of sight and so long as you do what you can to minimise noise then your neighbour ought to be more reasonable. If she isn't then keeping the bike out front isn't going to make any difference.

You asked what the cable is for on disc locks - it's to attach to the handlebars, usually around the throttle or clutch lever, to remind you the lock is fitted. Otherwise you find yourself lying on the floor with the bike on top of you when you try to ride off without removing the lock. (I am not saying how I discovered this.)