heated gloves vs grips

Hi l would go with grips, there permanently wired so no loose wires to mess with. As back up l would also fit a set of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/331605581428?chn=ps&dispctrl=1&adgroupid=44018332512&rlsatarget=pla-379145744822&abcId=1058846&adtype=pla&merchantid=7101074&poi=&googleloc=9046397&device=c&campaignid=863271340&crdt=0

This will allow you to use your normal gloves and allow better feel and use of the controls.

Heated grips for me every time. :thumb: First accessory I fit to any new bike.

Allows me to continue to wear light gloves, and I have seen a lot of nasty burns caused by the wiring of the heated gloves burning the skin, and in the event that the connector is plugged to the bike (as opposed to a seperate battery) I have seen a few riders dragged down the road when they have come off and the connector has failed to seperate.

And if hands get wet, warm damp hands are better than cold wet hands. :)

Personal opnion, but 30+ years I have used them without any complaints or issues.

To be completely honest, l don't understand why bikes sold to be ridden in Northern Europe are not fitted with heated grips as standard.

How else are the dealers and retailers going to make their extra money if they ae fitted at the factory? :wink:

Gloves.. but only if I could justify the cost of Gerbing and they would have to be 12v.. so, that would probably mean adding a power socket to the handlebars if the bike didnt already have one.

all this doesn't come cheap.

as for other brands.. if I had to go for something else i probably wouldn't bother.

I have both. I've only used the gloves once; ways too much faff. Grips are always there when you need them, just ping the switch and you warm up. Two areas where gloves are better: more even heat (back of the hand as well as palms) and you stay warm even when you're hands aren't on the grips. Neither of these seem to me to beat the convenience thing.

I had a pair of heated gloves once - I stuck the batteries in and they immediately started to smoke and burn. :shock:

Heated grips are good but much better if you combine them with muffs as it's the wind that really makes your fingers cold.

I have hand-guards and heated grips on both of my bikes.. and they're fine in the cold. but not in sub zero.. when you add wind chill at speed. they help.. but they're not a cure-all.

hence the suggestions above to use Muffs... which give you a layer of still air around your hands and anecdotally allow you to wear lighter weight gloves in mid winter.

I should add that I have plastic surgery on one of my hands and any kind of a chill is agonising. But, i don't commute so don't have to go through this.

I read something somewhere, or I might have imagined it, that said that if you can heat your wrists up, because the blood is quite close to the surface, it achieves the same as heating your hands. So if you could wear heated wristbands, the blood flowing to your fingers would be warm...

No idea if that's true or not!

I read something somewhere, or I might have imagined it, that said that if you can heat your wrists up, because the blood is quite close to the surface, it achieves the same as heating your hands. So if you could wear heated wristbands, the blood flowing to your fingers would be warm...

No idea if that's true or not!

That is true actually

Ok so all we need is heated wristbands then right??

Thats got to be easier than heated gloves?

In Theory yes wrist heating would be better than palm.....decent boots are just as important as you lose a lot of heat from your ankles too

And obviously head and neck are the biggest heat losers

But grips are just a button instead of plugging in cords :D

Heated grips are great, but not enough for me when it's really cold.

I got some RST thermotech heated gloves off ebay recently, a customer return to sportsbikeshop, £47 ( usually around £170 :D) good quality, heat the back of the hands and fingers so complement heated grips well.

Worth getting an extra set of batteries though probably.