MOD1 Passed - phew!

Lovely day here in Peterborough, though a little bit chilly.

I was nervous as hell, and have been feeling out of sorts for a few days probably due to the nerves. I wasn't looking forward to the Emergency Stop or Avoidance (swerve) tests.

The examiner was awesome, really made me feel at ease and gave me very clear instructions as well as reminding me what was and was NOT being tested, and that I could take my time.

After the manual handling exercise I was heaving for breathe - partly because I'm a small and weak individual who can hardly move the bike, but also because of the nerves making me take short, shallow breaths. Examiner explained the zig-zag and figure of 8 exercise, then said "In your own time, whenever you feel ready". So, I sat on the bike for a good few seconds taking deep breaths and relaxing my arms. It worked.

Everything went pretty well, but I picked up 2 minors - one on the Emergency Stop because I waited until his arm was fully raised before I braked. My instructor had never told me to start braking as soon as the examiners arm started to go up, and he raised it quite slow. He did explain it to me but, of course, I was thinking more about my practise drills.

My other minor was on the swerve test because I was only doing 49kph. I knew I'd gone a touch slow - I was nervous about the swerve itself, so didn't pick up as much speed as usual and rolled off the throttle too soon at the speed gate. I shouldn't have worried because the swerve itself was very comfortable.

I also stalled the bike after the U turn, or perhaps it was after the straight line controlled stop, while the examiner was giving me the next set of instructions. I had some bother getting the bike into Neutral so assumed the indicator light had packed up. It hadn't! He never mentioned it, or marked me down for it. I guess I dealt with it fine.

MOD2 next week. As long as I get myself up to speed and do my lifesavers I think I've got little to be worried about for that.

I really enjoyed it though. We went for a nice ride in the countryside afterwards to get back to the school. My face got a bit cold, but the riding was pleasant. And no incidents.

Well Done!

Good feelings all round

I should look up what the MOD's are all about but what does that part allow you to ride?

Is it a restricted up to 600cc?

Thanks.

Nope and nope.

I'm doing Direct Access Scheme (DAS) because I'm over 24. You have to do a CBT regardless, and a theory test (+ Hazard Perception). But DAS consists of 2 tests:

• [list=]
  • MOD2 - can only be done if you pass MOD1, and consists of practical on-road riding. It involves some independent riding where you're given some directions to follow (e.g. follow the signs for A47 Wansford, then A1 Stamford.This test also includes the eyesight test and a few questions about bike maintenance/checks and riding with a pillion

Once you pass the 2 modules, you can ride anything unrestricted.

Riders under 24 have a different set of tests to do, which I'm not clued up on.

Sounds overly complicated to me :(

I thought that when I started out. But you just take it one step at a time and don't worry about the complexity.

I think there is good sense in each part of the process, so I just put my head into the mode of showing the examiner that I'm up to the required standard. The bits that seem weird, I just rationalised it by setting some sense, then got on with proving it.

Get the feeling the government wants less bikers?

Although "some" people shouldnt be on bikes (we have all seen them)

Saying that the feeling of working your way up must be exhilarating and you must have a real and completely warranted sense of achievement.

Good for you :thumb:

Another step to your dream bike!

Congratulations! I was most worried about the swerve when I did mine as well. Also had a bit of a complex about the figure of 8amd slalom. Luckily all was good on the day though! Hated the manual handling part though, thought I was going to die and realised just how out of shape I actually am 😂

Good luck for Mod2! Is it next week?

Congratulations Rodders, passing the tests are a great feeling

Well Done!

Good feelings all round

I should look up what the MOD's are all about but what does that part allow you to ride?

Is it a restricted up to 600cc?

Thanks.

Nope and nope.

I'm doing Direct Access Scheme (DAS) because I'm over 24. You have to do a CBT regardless, and a theory test (+ Hazard Perception). But DAS consists of 2 tests:

• [list=]
  • MOD2 - can only be done if you pass MOD1, and consists of practical on-road riding. It involves some independent riding where you're given some directions to follow (e.g. follow the signs for A47 Wansford, then A1 Stamford.This test also includes the eyesight test and a few questions about bike maintenance/checks and riding with a pillion

Once you pass the 2 modules, you can ride anything unrestricted.

Riders under 24 have a different set of tests to do, which I'm not clued up on.

All the tests are the same it's just the size of the bike that varies. The licenses are fairly straight forward.

• A1 License - Anyone over 17 can do the mod 1&2 on a 125 - Will only be allowed to ride a 125

• A2 License - Anyone over 19 can do the mod 1&2 on a bike minimum 395cc but max 47bhp - Will only be able to ride a bike with maximum 47bhp

• A License - Anyone that has had an A2 License for 2 years or is over 24 can do the mod 1&2 on a bike over 595cc with a minimum 54bhp - Will be able to ride anything

Any of the licenses will allow the holder to ride without L plates, carry a pillion and use the motorway.

To get any of the licenses you will need to pass a theory test but once you've got any of the three licenses you don't need to do the theory again. The mod 1&2 tests are identical for each of the licenses but if you start off at 17 with an A1 license and want to progress at 19 and again at 21 it will be quite a costly experience.

I should imagine that hardly anyone gets an A1 license as you can just keep redoing the CBT.

Sounds overly complicated to me :(

To disagree some of the others, it is not.

To go down a gear you come off the throttle, pull in the clutch, press down the pedal, blip the throttle, ease out the clutch, increase the throttle. Which sounds complicated and fiddly when you explain it, but when riding takes a fraction of a second and is done without thinking.

The tests are pretty much like that, when you explain them it sounds like a lot to take in, but it is all very straightforward and you do not have to remember any of it. You just do what you are told.

On Mod1 you do several exercises but each one is fully explained before you have to do it. And you will have practiced them all with your school anyway, so there will be no surprises on the actual test.

For Mod2 you answer a few basic questions then just follow the road (or the road signs) and turn or stop when told.

"Go around the cones then do some figure-8s" you go around the cones them do some figure-8s. Then wait for more instructions.

"Turn right at the roundabout" you turn right at the roundabout. Then follow the road until you get more instructions.

So long as you can ride a bike, you just turn up and do as you are told.

I would disagree with that too.

Car drivers do not have to do the Mod1, though manoeuvres are part of their driving test. But they also do not have to balance a car for things like figure-8s and emergency stops to be important skills.

Just having a separate manoeuvres test hardly makes it complicated.

And I think the only reason the two tests are separated out is in case you fail the first part, otherwise you will then be paying for an instructor to sit around as you will not be seen as safe enough to go out on the road.

The only other difference to getting a car licence is the CBT, but I am sure car drivers would love to be told after six hours of lessons they could just go off and drive a mini for two years on L-plates!

I would have said a six hour session then being able to ride something on your own is less complicated than having weekly lessons for several months and still not being able to drive anything unaccompanied.

Even if you go for a full bike licence without getting a 125 then it the CBT is simply the first day of a five day course. And in that way no more complicated than an intensive driving lessons course having a first day too.

For most people the track is:

Bike Licence = Theory + Lesson (CBT) + Lesson (or riding a 125 for a bit) + Lesson + Mod1 + Mod2

Car Licence = Theory + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Test

Bike Licence = Theory + Lesson (CBT) + Lesson (or riding a 125 for a bit) + Lesson + Mod1 + Mod2

Car Licence = Theory + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Lesson + Test

No point in arguing as I dont have to do it However I do see your point above

except my Car licence was

Car Licence = Lesson + Test

because I had been riding for years the car test was easy