Helmet fell off my lockers :/

Well, I'm rather annoyed and a bit worried as my helmet fell from on top of some lockers onto the floor (it's carpet but it's not the soft type of carpet) - It fell from relatively high, I can't see any external signs of damage nor can I find some on the inside, nothing was stored in my helmet other than my gloves, if it matters, this is my helmet (https://www.agv.co.uk/sport/k5-s/agv-k5-s-hurricane.html) - It doesn't look like it's been damaged but I honestly don't know whether it is or isn't. It's very annoying because I've only just bought this helmet and absolutely love it, I really don't want to have to buy another if at all possible. Opinions? Has my stupidity in putting it on top of a locker f**ked me over? Should I replace the helmet? I rode home with it on and it felt no different nor did I notice anything odd about the comfort/shape of the helmet.

If it's like our lockers at work they are a bit over 6ft. Personally I'd probable replace but mainly out of paranoia. I quite like my head empty as it is.

That's kind of what I'm worried about, already had one helmet go down due to my bike falling over and landing on it, that was a 100% definite replace but this one has no visible damage anywhere, I just don't know if I NEED to replace it. I really don't want to spend another £300 on a lid.

Nothing inside heavy enough to compress the foam from the inside and if no damage visible on the outside then the shell didn't flex enough to compress the outside of the foam.

Personally I wouldn't worry.

Nothing inside heavy enough to compress the foam from the inside and if no damage visible on the outside then the shell didn't flex enough to compress the outside of the foam.

Thanks for the opinion, I'll probably test it over the next couple of days to see if anything changes, if not, then I'll just continue as normal.

Regardless of the physics/visual aspect and not going to express an opinion on an unseen object that does not affect my personal safety

How much do you value your head ?

Can you dismiss any negative thoughts of the helmets integrity (sp) as you ride ?

There is no standardized test/reference for what is safe and what is not with regards to structural defects

And the true test if its still structurally sound will be in the event of an accident .

Its a personal call and i would leave it that way than asking on a forum for peoples advice

Ask yourself .....

If you witnessed someone else drop your helmet from that height ...would you get it replaced at their cost ?

If yes then why should you not automatically replace .

Edited by TimR

Regardless of the physics/visual aspect and not going to express an opinion on an unseen object that does not affect my personal safety

How much do you value your head ?

Can you dismiss any negative thoughts of the helmets integrity (sp) as you ride ?

There is no standardized test/reference for what is safe and what is not with regards to structural defects

Its a personal call and i would leave it that way than asking on a forum for peoples advice

I rode it home tonight and it felt fine, I don't personally think any damage happened to it, but, it's impossible to know. Obviously I value my head as much as anyone else would but given that it dropped and I can't find a single bit of damage from that drop I'm inclined to believe that there is no damage that has been caused by the fall.

Thanks again for the input, heavily appreciated, with my old helmet I could feel the polystyrene inside broken up and could pull some loose, here, I've got nothing even slightly of the sort from when I checked.

What make is it? Some of the expensive brands do a service where you send it away and they will x ray it or something so you can be sure. I think Arai do it for free, but I'm not sure.

You won’t be able to feel if the internals of the helmet are damaged. They’re a one time use, the general consensus seems to be that if you drop them without any weight in them they’re alright, but I don’t know which is fact. You’ll never be able to tell by just seeing if it feels different though.

Thanks for the opinion, I'll probably test it over the next couple of days to see if anything changes, if not, then I'll just continue as normal.

Sure, if in doubt buy a new one...

But watch this.. start at 7:11

http://youtu.be/Ovd3KGu6BgU

What make is it? Some of the expensive brands do a service where you send it away and they will x ray it or something so you can be sure. I think Arai do it for free, but I'm not sure.

X-Rays show nothing other than a black mass and blob. I do a lot of work with the Arai/AGV importer as a consultant and they admit that it was a bit of a gimmick a few years back, but the reality is that the ompy way it can be determined whether the liner is OK is to stip it down examine it and then re-assemble.

The downside is that it has to be done by the factory bacaue once stripped back and re-assembled is ceases to comply with EC22/05

It does not take a massive impact to compress the liner and because there is no visible damage to the shell does not mean that no damage has been caused to the liner.

The reality is though that unless you feel that the protective qualities of your hat have been compromised then as mentioned, don't lose any sleep over it.

My helmet is an AGV KS-5 Hurricane as shown in the link I posted in my OP, interesting video, I seem to be getting mixed signals of whether it's okay or isn't, I guess I just have to either buy a new helmet or take a risk.

The video is interesting though, the fact that a guy working for Arai seems to imply that a helmet would be fine from a drop without any weight in it is interesting. I did get a fantastic deal on the AGV helmet I got as they were 30% off in the store I got it from which dropped the helmet down to about £200-215 ish. Nice price for a quality brand like AGV.

Arai/AGV importer

Off topic question!!

Are Arai and AGV the same company?

SOMEONE HELP ME THE SITE ADMIN IS DERAILING THE THREAD :D :D :D

Another way to think about it is that helmets are designed to absorb energy so your head doesn't have to.

Applying a little Newtonian physics we see that

A 1kg mass (empty helmet) falling from a 2m height has 19.6joules of energy.

Assuming your head in a helmet weights 6kg, a fall from 0.33m generates 19.4 joules of energy.

So your empty helmet falling 2m just absorbed about the same energy as if you had your head inside and dropped from 33cm... Helmets are designed to save us from much higher impacts than that, so again I would doubt the helmet sustained any damage.

But it's your head, not mine, do whatever makes you sleep best at night.

Looks like it comes down to if you will feel comfortable or if it will always be nagging at you every time you pick it up to put it on, always there that thought of impending doom, fear and dread pulling at your subconscious, a small voice whispering in your ear, the small niggle that you just cant see out the corner of your visor.

Probably be all right though, maybe :)

I think I would replace it but that would just be my own preference.

Might be worth dropping AGV UK an email and asking for their opinion.

I have the same Helmet by the way, It's a belter.

I would, but I kinda get the feeling that because first and foremost they are a business that I'll just get told "You HAVE to buy a new one"

Yeah I'm really happy with the helmet as well, absolutely loving it as it doesn't steam up as much as my old helmet used to (I have pinlock but I wear glasses and unfortunately they can't have pinlock lol)

I would, but I kinda get the feeling that because first and foremost they are a business that I'll just get told "You HAVE to buy a new one"

Yeah I'm really happy with the helmet as well, absolutely loving it as it doesn't steam up as much as my old helmet used to (I have pinlock but I wear glasses and unfortunately they can't have pinlock lol)

I'm not sure they would tell you to replace it without good reason though, they are a very reputable company that have been around for many years. I would think you'd get a reasonable assessment from them of potential damage that may have been caused by such a fall, they will probably say they can't assess it without examination, but you may be surprised, they could tell you it's nothing to worry about, nothing ventured nothing gained but at least you'd get the manufacturers input into your worries. No offence to anyone who's given advice on this thread but I think they're the people to ask.

I'm not sure they would tell you to replace it without good reason though, they are a very reputable company that have been around for many years. I would think you'd get a reasonable assessment from them of potential damage that may have been caused by such a fall, they will probably say they can't assess it without examination, but you may be surprised, they could tell you it's nothing to worry about, nothing ventured nothing gained but at least you'd get the manufacturers input into your worries. No offence to anyone who's given advice on this thread but I think they're the people to ask.

Yeah, true point. I suppose there isn't anything to lose by asking them. I'll give them a shout, cheers.

The importer is Moto-Direct and the MD is Terry Birtles who I know very well.

Moto-Direct are also the importer of Arai

Terry's team will not tell you to change the helmet just for the fun of it.

Unlike the original Arai importer (Phoenix Distribution who thankfully lost the franchise) or Eurohelmets who used to be the importer of AGV and both who would tell you that they would X-Ray it and then put it in a cupboard for a couple of weeks before telling you that you needed a new hat, Moto-Direct have morals and will give you a straight up answer.

I have even seen them do a service on a 17 year old Arai which considering they only give a 7 year warranty to current Arai's is in my opinion fair enough.

Just be aware that it may take a while for a reply as they get inundated with emails and queries, and they are also getting ready for the Motorcycle show. If you are going to the show, go and speak to them directly. You might even see me slurping one of their coffees if you are there on Monday :wink:

The importer is Moto-Direct and the MD is Terry Birtles who I know very well.

Moto-Direct are also the importer of Arai

Terry's team will not tell you to change the helmet just for the fun of it.

Unlike the original Arai importer (Phoenix Distribution who thankfully lost the franchise) or Eurohelmets who used to be the importer of AGV and both who would tell you that they would X-Ray it and then put it in a cupboard for a couple of weeks before telling you that you needed a new hat, Moto-Direct have morals and will give you a straight up answer.

I have even seen them do a service on a 17 year old Arai which considering they only give a 7 year warranty to current Arai's is in my opinion fair enough.

Just be aware that it may take a while for a reply as they get inundated with emails and queries, and they are also getting ready for the Motorcycle show. If you are going to the show, go and speak to them directly. You might even see me slurping one of their coffees if you are there on Monday :wink:

Actually it only took AGV 2 days to reply, they basically told me that only I can really tell whether my helmet is worth replacing or not. They also said I could take it to my nearest AGV stockist and get them to check out the surface damage, of which on my helmet, there isn't any. A company with morals who actually give a damn :o - colour me impressed! I think I'll be buying AGV helmets from now on. Cheers for the background as well, I'm a fan of history be it modern or ancient so it's interesting to hear what AGV's support used to be like.