Puncture preventative?

Ricco1

I've had 4 punctures in the last 2 years. The most recent was this morning, tyre deflated really quickly but fortunately it was the back tyre, easy to control to a stop. Cost me 40 quid to have a new tube fitted. I ride down some little lanes with hawthorn trees, the cut them back from time to time, I then get punctures.

I've been wondering whether it might be worth sticking some puncture preventative in my tubes, 'slime' or similar. Hopefully to stop further punctures but if I do get one, hopefully to slow down the loss of air, to make things safer.

Anyone put this stuff in their tyres? Is it simply a matter of deflating the tyre, remove the valve stem, pump the stuff in, inflate and away you go?

If you have tubed tyres I wouldn't worry , you can put a patch on a tube just like on a bicycle. When you find a screw in your brand new £150 180/90/17 tubeless superbike tyre you might start thinking about putting slime in before pulling the screw out but it rarely works in my experience.

Far better to carry and puncture repair kit than run with slime or the likes. You won't believe the mess you'll find yourself in when it comes to changing a tyre that's filled with slime. Put the present experiences down to a run of bad luck we've all been there.

. When you find a screw in your brand new £150 180/90/17 tubeless superbike tyre you might start thinking about putting slime in before pulling the screw out but it rarely works in my experience.

I've seen the absolute mess slime does if you get a puncture that leaves a hole it the tyre and allows the slime to flick out EVERYWHERE. EVERY. WHERE.

would not put slime in. the only green thing I don't like :|

Had a puncture in my last brand new rear tyre. Went and got it plugged at a garage. 20 quid, lasted 10k miles. done.

Far better to carry and puncture repair kit than run with slime or the likes. You won't believe the mess you'll find yourself in when it comes to changing a tyre that's filled with slime. Put the present experiences down to a run of bad luck we've all been there.

This is what I said last time the subject of slime and related products was mentioned but I was firmly told that tyre fitters love it and actually promote the stuff . I agree with you , its a gimmick . I put it in a tyre once and every time I went fast the bike shuddered like a brick in a washing machine.

This is what I said last time the subject of slime and related products was mentioned but I was firmly told that tyre fitters love it and actually promote the stuff . I agree with you , its a gimmick . I put it in a tyre once and every time I went fast the bike shuddered like a brick in a washing machine.

My brother is a tyre fitter and him and all the people he has worked with hate the stuff and want touch a tyre with it in or put it in a tyre either

This has been covered in depth on other threads. I still stand by my previous comments. I always use tyre sealants. I'm not trying to convert anyone so you can use it or not, as is your want.

Where it received a fairly unanimous thumbs down . I've worked at ten NEC bike shows where this stuff was heavily promoted with people being invited to stick a spike in a tyre etc. Looking back it reminds me of these desperate characters that inhabit street markets and car boot sales who demonstrate some miraculous plastic vegetable slicer that transforms spuds into curly ribbons but just doesn't work when you get it home . The way this stuff is over promoted is proportional to my sense that it just isn't any good. Perhaps Barry Scott could do a better job .

This has been covered in depth on other threads. I still stand by my previous comments. I always use tyre sealants. I'm not trying to convert anyone so you can use it or not, as is your want.

Perhaps Barry Scott could do a better job .

I can see the add now Seal it bang :D

Perhaps Barry Scott could do a better job .

I can see the add now Seal it bang :D

Brilliant! Post of the year!

I have ridden over 70,000 miles in the last five years with tyre sealant in my tyres and the only time I had a flat tyre was when I had a split in the side wall, which tyre sealants don't claim to prevent.

But like I said I'm not trying to convert anyone, just carry on doing what you do and I will do the same.

If you have tubed tyres I wouldn't worry , you can put a patch on a tube just like on a bicycle. When you find a screw in your brand new £150 180/90/17 tubeless superbike tyre you might start thinking about putting slime in before pulling the screw out but it rarely works in my experience.

https://www.motorcycle-road-and-race.co.uk/airpro-tyre-repair-inflation-kit best bit of kit I've bought. Plugged the tyre about 2000 or so miles ago (after getting a puncture about 2 weeks from new) Absolutely no problems at all!

https://www.motorcycle-road-and-race.co.uk/airpro-tyre-repair-inflation-kit best bit of kit I've bought. Plugged the tyre about 2000 or so miles ago (after getting a puncture about 2 weeks from new) Absolutely no problems at all!

Yep , I sold a lot of these , never had any complaints. There's a similar product that uses plugs that have a peel off strip but it's been a while now and the name escapes me.Edit... Right ignore that last bit, I can't find any trace of it online so it can't have been any good. Come to think of it I reckon the one with the brown squidgy strips might be from the same manufacturer as replacement for the aforementioned plugs.