Groin protector?

Does anyone use something to protect their crown jewels?

During a practise session for my MOD1 yesterday, I was doing a U Turn when my front wheel slipped on a bit of mud. I lurched forward, but grabbed the front brake and came to a sudden halt which caused me to slide forward and hit the fuel tank. Fortunately it was cold.... :shock: Mild discomfort only, and I didn't fall or drop the bike, and the instructor didn't see it either so my pride was intact.

But it got me thinking that maybe some kind of padding would be useful. Or maybe I just learn to look out for mud!

Apparently 13% of bike crashes involve groin injuries :shock:

https://mocktheorytest.com/resources/common-injuries-in-motorbike-accidents/

I crushed the petrol tank of the bike with my groin and damaged one of my testicles to the extent that it grew to the size and shade of an aubergine and very slowly, than shrank until it was there no longer.
- https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jun/19/motorcycling-accidents-near-miss-dangers-stories

Cycling shorts?

Other than that, it will teach you to be more gentle with the brakes if you keep doing it. :lol:

Cycling shorts isn't a bad shout, actually. I found some other motorbike forums where people had used the Shock Doctor Bioflex Cup with positive reviews. But it might have been MX riders. Probably better just to avoid mud, and get used to gentle braking. In my defence, I was just using instinct so only a certain amount of training would have fixed that.

Over time you will learn to grip the tank with your legs :)

In hindsight, that would have been enough and when I saw the patch of mud I knew there was a chance of the front wheel slipping so I had time to grip.

Going slow keep your mits off the front brake you have a good reminder why now.

Annoyingly I was already on the back brake for the U turn, so I just need to control that instinct to grab the front brake. Probably comes from my cycling experience.

Definitely need to knock it on the head, i nearly had my lesson bike over at a set of lights, was almost stopped but slight angle on steering and without thinking pulled on the front anchors, I did exactly the same as you, but i have long legs and the instructor noticed, so i got away with one and not the other, I decided that it was best not to do that again.