Helmet fell off my lockers :/

Have a question about what clothing to buy, not sure what luggage or security would be best, looking for information on good deals available? Check out our Tried and Tested section of the forum....... still cant find an answer? Please post here!!
Throttled
Subscriber
Bike(s): Versys 1000 GT
Has liked: 364 times
Been liked: 504 times

Re: Helmet fell off my lockers :/

Post by Throttled » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:01 am

I am in the camp of, if there is no visible damage and you cannot feel anything irregular with your fingers (I presume you can take off the inner lining to to check the foam) then keep it.
Audiophile/biker/sceptic

MR_W
Bike(s): Suzuki GSX-R750 MotoGP
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by MR_W » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:15 pm

If Iannone was prepared to keep riding after nutting a seagull at Phillip Island, I think you will be fine.
ImageImage

Bender
Has liked: 2167 times
Been liked: 2506 times

Post by Bender » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:50 pm

Looks like it comes down to if you will feel comfortable or if it will always be nagging at you every time you pick it up to put it on, always there that thought of impending doom, fear and dread pulling at your subconscious, a small voice whispering in your ear, the small niggle that you just cant see out the corner of your visor.

Probably be all right though, maybe :)

I think I would replace it but that would just be my own preference.
Bite my shiny metal ass..

Baldrick
Bike(s): Z1000SX
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 183 times

Post by Baldrick » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:58 pm

Might be worth dropping AGV UK an email and asking for their opinion.
I have the same Helmet by the way, It's a belter.

Yeldur
Bike(s): Streetfighter MK1 Bandit
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Yeldur » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:15 pm

Baldrick wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:58 pm
I would, but I kinda get the feeling that because first and foremost they are a business that I'll just get told "You HAVE to buy a new one"

Yeah I'm really happy with the helmet as well, absolutely loving it as it doesn't steam up as much as my old helmet used to (I have pinlock but I wear glasses and unfortunately they can't have pinlock lol)

Baldrick
Bike(s): Z1000SX
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 183 times

Post by Baldrick » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:29 pm

Yeldur wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:15 pm
Baldrick wrote:
I would, but I kinda get the feeling that because first and foremost they are a business that I'll just get told "You HAVE to buy a new one"

Yeah I'm really happy with the helmet as well, absolutely loving it as it doesn't steam up as much as my old helmet used to (I have pinlock but I wear glasses and unfortunately they can't have pinlock lol)
I'm not sure they would tell you to replace it without good reason though, they are a very reputable company that have been around for many years. I would think you'd get a reasonable assessment from them of potential damage that may have been caused by such a fall, they will probably say they can't assess it without examination, but you may be surprised, they could tell you it's nothing to worry about, nothing ventured nothing gained but at least you'd get the manufacturers input into your worries. No offence to anyone who's given advice on this thread but I think they're the people to ask.

Joeman
Subscriber
Bike(s): BMW S1000RR, KTM300.. etc
Has liked: 1150 times
Been liked: 973 times

Post by Joeman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:40 pm

Yeldur

Post by Yeldur » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:41 pm

Baldrick wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:29 pm
Yeldur wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:15 pm
Baldrick wrote:

I'm not sure they would tell you to replace it without good reason though, they are a very reputable company that have been around for many years. I would think you'd get a reasonable assessment from them of potential damage that may have been caused by such a fall, they will probably say they can't assess it without examination, but you may be surprised, they could tell you it's nothing to worry about, nothing ventured nothing gained but at least you'd get the manufacturers input into your worries. No offence to anyone who's given advice on this thread but I think they're the people to ask.
Yeah, true point. I suppose there isn't anything to lose by asking them. I'll give them a shout, cheers.

TC1474
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by TC1474 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:50 am

The importer is Moto-Direct and the MD is Terry Birtles who I know very well.

Moto-Direct are also the importer of Arai

Terry's team will not tell you to change the helmet just for the fun of it.

Unlike the original Arai importer (Phoenix Distribution who thankfully lost the franchise) or Eurohelmets who used to be the importer of AGV and both who would tell you that they would X-Ray it and then put it in a cupboard for a couple of weeks before telling you that you needed a new hat, Moto-Direct have morals and will give you a straight up answer.

I have even seen them do a service on a 17 year old Arai which considering they only give a 7 year warranty to current Arai's is in my opinion fair enough.

Just be aware that it may take a while for a reply as they get inundated with emails and queries, and they are also getting ready for the Motorcycle show. If you are going to the show, go and speak to them directly. You might even see me slurping one of their coffees if you are there on Monday :wink:
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next

Yeldur

Post by Yeldur » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:28 pm

TC1474 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:50 am
The importer is Moto-Direct and the MD is Terry Birtles who I know very well.

Moto-Direct are also the importer of Arai

Terry's team will not tell you to change the helmet just for the fun of it.

Unlike the original Arai importer (Phoenix Distribution who thankfully lost the franchise) or Eurohelmets who used to be the importer of AGV and both who would tell you that they would X-Ray it and then put it in a cupboard for a couple of weeks before telling you that you needed a new hat, Moto-Direct have morals and will give you a straight up answer.

I have even seen them do a service on a 17 year old Arai which considering they only give a 7 year warranty to current Arai's is in my opinion fair enough.

Just be aware that it may take a while for a reply as they get inundated with emails and queries, and they are also getting ready for the Motorcycle show. If you are going to the show, go and speak to them directly. You might even see me slurping one of their coffees if you are there on Monday :wink:
Actually it only took AGV 2 days to reply, they basically told me that only I can really tell whether my helmet is worth replacing or not. They also said I could take it to my nearest AGV stockist and get them to check out the surface damage, of which on my helmet, there isn't any. A company with morals who actually give a damn :o - colour me impressed! I think I'll be buying AGV helmets from now on. Cheers for the background as well, I'm a fan of history be it modern or ancient so it's interesting to hear what AGV's support used to be like.

fq-craigus
Bike(s): gsxr 1000 k7, zx6r g2
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 43 times

Post by fq-craigus » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:10 pm

If there is no visible damage I wouldn't worry. Because you didn't have anything heavy inside the inner absorber wouldn't have compressed unless your lockers were substantionally high.

I had my helmet on top of a shelf in the workshop and when someone pulled an item off the shelf it snagged my lid and dropped it to the floor, about 7 feet onto concrete floor. Agv k3 was lid in question. Scratched the plastic and cracked the spoiler type thing.
So I used it to get home and stopped using it and reverted to previous lid until I bought new one.
Cut the thing open to see what horrors I would find because I had heard all the stories about it being scrap and guess what, not a mark in the polystyrene and not compressed either. Was pretty annoyed that I wasted a perfectly serviceable lid

Your lid your head but trouble is some things are said to protect people from their selves. Just saying if it falls it's scrapped covers everything and no grey areas so simple

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2006 GSXR1000 k7
ZX6R g2

Return to “Clothing, Luggage, Accessories and Security”