Helmet Cam recommendations

I seem to be developing an increased sense of self-preservation/protection*, and as part of that I'm thinking of getting a helmet cam, to just record in loops when out and about. You know, just in case.

Any specific recommendations, either positive or ones to avoid?

I was considering the Sena 10C, as I like the idea of having a camera and intercom all in one, but a 3 hour battery life means it wouldn't last on a long run out, and I'd need to get another Sena unit for Mrs Lat too, which significantly increases the cost.

Don't want some ugly GoPro lump dangling off the side, and not too fussed about audio, but I'd like something which is small, simple and waterproof, so I don't need to worry about leaving it on. Just needs to be clear enough to pick up numberplates I guess - not looking to record the next series of Blue Planet on it, so 4k 60FPS seems over the top.

*I'm well aware that simply having a camera will do nothing to prevent an accident or incident, but if I ever happened to end up in a he-said-she-said situation it would be nice to have some evidence to back things up. Assuming, of course,

that I'm the one in the right! :lol:

HaHa Camera's are fine until like you say, the old red mist comes down, and you film yourself doing some think wrong, a bit like Sat-nav's that keep your Maximum speed logged in!!!! Sorry officer was I really going that fast!!. But yes camera's are good when you film you and your mate's, did I really go off road in that corner in Scotland!! And why do they put Ditches along side some roads!!

So we can sit and have a laugh later :oops: :D

There was a small torch like unit that would run off bike and would turn on/off with ignition if bike mounted, Can't remember name at moment.

This the one I was thinking off .

https://www.roadhawk.co.uk/roadhawk-bullet-r-moto-edition-motorcycle-camera?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkvvcrZ_D1wIV4b_tCh11_wTnEAAYASAAEgI4aPD_BwE

I looked at this

51iTB3zFDFL._SL1000_.thumb.jpg.ce94b218f6dc50e665907fab4d0b8771.jpg

but could not wire it to the ignition without compromising the waterproofing.

Ended up getting this

APEMAN Underwater Action Camera 4K Wi-Fi Action Cam 20MP Waterproof 30M 2.0 Inch LCD Screen 170 Wide-Angle Dual

and mounting it on the front of the bike.

small hole in the side of the enclosure for the USB cable and it records when the ignition is on. No probs with water ingress and picture quality is fine.

I have a Go Pro Hero Session 5, its a little cube so smaller and less intrusive than the bigger go pros. It is also waterproof without a case. However battery life is not massive, you can film and charge at the same time. But then because it's door is open it is not waterproof when doing this... I'm toying with buying a spare door and drilling out a whole for the usb cable to go in. Then using some sort of waterproof glue to glue it in place.

Like nearly all helmet cams, it does look silly.

IMG_20170725_140349.thumb.jpg.f7ee53a23ee19e2b7b56d4131a0603b1.jpg

But the quality is pretty good. Mine is the 4k version, but you can get a cheaper one that does 1080p.

">

I used to think I'd prefer a bike mounted camera. But with a helmet mount you can simply point it to what you want it to see. Like car dashcams, a bike mounted cam may not actually get any footage of a crash.

Hi Lat. Mobius 2 is a good budget option. Records in 5 or 10 minutes slots, and then writes over the oldest when the card is full. You can set it up so that it's always recording when it's on, which makes it easy to use as a dashcam. If you choose to fix it to the bike, you can also run it directly off the bike's battery so there are no batteries to recharge.

Not tried these but good reviews & very good price :thumb:

http://actioncam.mercaddes.co.uk

That looks good....tempted! Trouble with these cams, though, is that they don't come with a feckup filter.....seen too many youtube videos of people using these things - all proud and all that.....then rapidly coming to grief!

I think it's called "hubris"!

But don't let me put you off! :twisted:

OTOH, maybe these will....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMfq4t9U0YU

Edited by Anonymous

So you can weed out the chaff

I got a Drift Stealth 2 which wont do you as the battery is only 3 hours

Also It seems that you either get a good one or crap one......personally I love it so im guessing I was lucky and got a good one

1.thumb.jpg.fba2cbcc0f5c981dfa200841ce5a0b5d.jpg

I have one of the below in a draw somewhere....they are crap

51iTB3zFDFL._SL1000_.thumb.jpg.6a494f9af74c3f2463a06ced3aca56bc.jpg

Be nice if they could just integrate one into a helmet or something. Having shit hanging off the side of your face or cluttering your handlebars looks crap.

Once drone/battery technology improves, gets smaller and cheaper i’d happily buy one that just follows you around filming you.

Be nice if they could just integrate one into a helmet or something. Having shit hanging off the side of your face or cluttering your handlebars looks crap.

Once drone/battery technology improves, gets smaller and cheaper i’d happily buy one that just follows you around filming you.

There is a drone already that follows you. Can't remember the name, but it's something like Lyssa. I'll look it up.

Good excuse to buy a 3D printer and make some sort of countoured case that blends nicely with the curves of your helmet.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I will have a look at them all, and see if anything comes up on black Friday.

A few other mates have suggested the Drift cameras, but I like the look of some of these other options too. :thumb:

Forgot to mention the Microphone on the drift is terrible when moving........its positioned at the front so it gets wind at anything over 20 mph

Im not trying to put you off it ......as I said I love mine, but just giving the downsides too

I have an SJ500 and a waterproof case designed for charging with clamp mount whole set up cost me about £45 pounds. Cannot fault it its saved me once on insurance already :(

Although I have to say I am not very good at riding with it on the bike its only about 10% of time so idiot van driver does not realise how luckily unlucky I was :?