Please help. =(

elpash

I seem to recall being mildly mocked when I mentioned this a while ago but there may be something to be said for measuring the volume of the oil you take out of a bike just as carefully as you measure what you put back in. For example,if you get much less oil out than you put in then you might have knackered valve guides . If you get more out than you put in then you might have a faulty fuel tap and stuck floats as was the case with my ER5 before I sorted it . It doesn't take long to decant it into a measuring jug first before pouring it into a container ready for disposal. If our unfortunate friend were to leave all this oil to stand in a see through jug then it would eventually separate and then the mystery would be solved.

Jet wash with no problems at all.

High and wide is the rule i stick to.

I agree , I have used a jet wash without any issues in the past but lets be clear here. I used a jet wash at a petrol station along with a soapy brush. What I did not use was a pressure washer of the kind used to blast green algae from pavements and patios. On the one occasion I used one of those big flakes of paint came off the engine and this was on the morning of the day I had arranged to sell the bike !

New oil in, bike started up, was running rough but let it warm up, when I pulled the throttle it kept dropping power. Noticed a leak in my front down pipe, could of been possible entry point but seems unlikely for the volume of liquid dropped out, which measured an extra two litres than what should of dropped out.

Turned the bike off, went and put riding gear on, put the air filter back on, bike wouldn't start, after a few attempts battery started giving out.

I've now come back in side, put the battery on charge and just made an offer on a used down pipe on eBay, and about to order new air and oil filters.

A stuck float is still not out the equation but will see when I put the battery back on tomorrow .

New oil in, bike started up, was running rough but let it warm up, when I pulled the throttle it kept dropping power. Noticed a leak in my front down pipe, could of been possible entry point but seems unlikely for the volume of liquid dropped out, which measured an extra two litres than what should of dropped out.

Turned the bike off, went and put riding gear on, put the air filter back on, bike wouldn't start, after a few attempts battery started giving out.

I've now come back in side, put the battery on charge and just made an offer on a used down pipe on eBay, and about to order new air and oil filters.

A stuck float is still not out the equation but will see when I put the battery back on tomorrow .

Two extra litres of what ? Oil and water ? Oil and petrol ? Just oil ? When you first removed the sump plug what actually dropped out first ? Maybe this whole jet wash / water in oil thing is just a red herring and the bikes running rough for other reasons . You didn't get back to us about possible water in the float bowl . Did you get that knackered drain screw out or did you remove the bowl ? If so was there water in there as well ? We would all love to help but its hard to fix a bike by text without very precise information.

Yeah I understand diagnosing is hard through this, it's just a big help with being able to drop the update and getting hints here and there.

It seemed to be a mixture of petrol and oil as there was no separation (but again I have no sense of smell today, just my gf complained I stunk of petrol), I've dropped the liquid into bottles and will check on separation, and get someone to smell it for me.

I undid the drain screw and just petrol came out of it, it was a little dirty so I gave it a few taps with a small hammer incase the float was stuck. If it doesn't start tonight on the full battery charge I will dump the oil again and check the amount as that will then be petrol not water, making it seem like possibly a red herring and was a stuck float all along.

Now I maybe wrong here but....

Fuel goes in tank and comes out exhaust burned it should have no real contact with oil.

Water goes round the cooling system and should have no contact with oil or water,

Oil goes in to the sump for lubrication, of moving mechanical parts it should have next to no contact with the firing mechanism.

Sticking float switch could lead to petrol running into cylinder then to crankcase when engine is stopped?

Is fuel level going down in tank overnight??? It would be hard to measure.

Oil in water could be from jet wash or cooling system (check coolant level),

So if bike is running rough there is most likely a problem with air, fuel, ignition or carbs.

My basic checks would be:

1) Drain some petrol out of bottom of carb.

2) Check fuel filter (if fitted),

3) Check fuel coming out of tank is clean (can you disconnect from carb and check what runs out and how quick also good check on fuel filter),

4) Check for Spark and ignition, change plug??

5) check oil filter is not clogged,

With the amount of water coming out of your engine are you sure it isnt being mistaken for a pond.......check for frog spawn and toads etc

:D

Toads don't live in water and frogs don't spawn until springtime. Could be some sticklebacks lurking in there among the shopping trolleys .

Update....

After charging the battery I got the bike started, after a bit of a warm up it was revving just like before.

I took it onto the road, put it in first and it just wouldn't pull without stalling, pinned the throttle back and set off and it was going at walking pace, the first bit of incline it cut off.

any ideas?

I do have a feeling it could be something to do with the hole in the exhaust but think there's too much power lost for it to be that :scratch:

Given what the air filter and carb have been put through (or rather, had put through them..) I would suggest it all needs some serious looking at. A new filter would be a good start unless it's a foam one you can wash out, and the carb could surely do with being taken to bits and being cleared out.

When it runs, does it still sound healthy? Petrol is no substitute for oil in regards to keeping metal surfaces from grabbing each other when moving..

Given what the air filter and carb have been put through (or rather, had put through them..) I would suggest it all needs some serious looking at. A new filter would be a good start unless it's a foam one you can wash out, and the carb could surely do with being taken to bits and being cleared out.

When it runs, does it still sound healthy? Petrol is no substitute for oil in regards to keeping metal surfaces from grabbing each other when moving..

Ordering a new air filter for it as it isn't foam. I want a strip down of the carb to be the final step because, it sounds healthy and without any load it revs and sounds great. When I drained the carb both times there was no water in it.

I will have a look in the oil when I next take it out to check for any metal flakes to see if there is any rubbing anywhere

Thanks for all your help guys!!

The last piece to the puzzle was a new air filter, I'd dried it out but when I re checked it there was still some oil in the paper blocking it up.

Back on the road again :D

Glad you fixed it and I hope you learned something in the process so that now you have taken your first steps towards becoming a D.I.Y motorcycle mechanic .