A Shed or an Armadillo cover?

Going to get a better form of bike storage soon. Choices are to either buy a wooden shed or an armadillo cover.

Don’t want to get a steel shed as I feel it draws too much attention. Wooden sheds will be more planted than an Armadillo cover, but will be more obvious that something of value is inside. And an armadillo cover will be more convientent for my needs as it’s quick and still allows me to use my parking space.

Any input from anyone and all?

I'm following this with interest. I don't own a bike yet but will do soon. I don't have a place to park one that is out of sight so an planning to build a wooden shed along the side of my house. I'll be interested to see what you go for, and if it is a shed how it works for getting the bike in and out - I have a slightly restricted space to work with.

I have an armadillo cover, happy with it so far had it about 5 years now. I think you'll struggle to get a shed big enough for 190 quid which will buy you a new armadillo cover :thumb:

Did you bolt yours to the ground? If so, what surface did you put it on to? (Concrete, soil etc.)

A word of caution , I know personally of someone who erected one of these Armadillo covers in his front garden. Following complaints from neighbours he was ordered by Coventry City Council to take it down again. Seems it's OK to store a caravan on your drive though. Some people are just ar*eholes.

A word of caution , I know personally of someone who erected one of these Armadillo covers in his front garden. Following complaints from neighbours he was ordered by Coventry City Council to take it down again. Seems it's OK to store a caravan on your drive though. Some people are just ar*eholes.

That's the solution then, get an old caravan and use it like a shed!

I have an armadillo cover, happy with it so far had it about 5 years now. I think you'll struggle to get a shed big enough for 190 quid which will buy you a new armadillo cover :thumb:

Did you bolt yours to the ground? If so, what surface did you put it on to? (Concrete, soil etc.)

I used about 15 screen wash gallon containers filled with water as I didn't want to drill as I wasn't 100% sure of its final placement.

I used about 15 screen wash gallon containers filled with water as I didn't want to drill as I wasn't 100% sure of its final placement.

Well I'm planning to go into the tarmac, got the planning permission etc. from the local council. Was curious to know if the cover came with the ground bolts or if they had to be purchased separately. Also trying to get an idea if my hammer drill will do the job ok.

Well I'm planning to go into the tarmac, got the planning permission etc. from the local council. Was curious to know if the cover came with the ground bolts or if they had to be purchased separately. Also trying to get an idea if my hammer drill will do the job ok.

Mine came with ground bolts but I can't remember for the life of me where I bought the bike home from now

Personally I think an Armadillo cover will draw more attention than a shed. Most people have a shed to store crap in they might use one day, however an Armadillo cover is specifically for motorbikes and therefore would appeal more to a potential thief.

I would go opt for a Beast Shed... considerable cheaper than a metal.. and probably a lot more practical. can be built entirely bespoke and the final price includes delivery and build.

so... all you need to do is think about what you want.. design it. get a quote and if necessary... prepare the ground.

When I last looked... a shed that would comfortably hold both of my bikes, with a floor that can support 2.5 tonnes... and with a bit of extra space for storage.. came to a little under £800 and looked a little like this..

motorbike-garage-shed.thumb.jpg.7b9fb502d0dff290c3956aecb0242201.jpg

I thought this one looked quite good too... with small windows for some natural light and impossible to climb through. or easily see through.

11x7PentGBeast.thumb.JPG.bc43c7b11afe3d7df6a3cd147a35f2cd.JPG

Crunchy on outside chewy in the middle ....

Sorry its been rattling round my head ( i blame 80/90s tv advertising )

I’m glad I ain’t the only one that remembers that Ad!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok, I got an Armadillo Cover in the end. Something happened during the night though. I’m split if it was the wind that caused it or someone tried to steal it. I’ve lost an expensive cover in the past before and if I hadn’t of chained the Armadillo cover to the front wheel, I’m convinced the Armadillo cover would of went this time too.

I got notified by a neighbour this morning that my cover was laying flat on the floor. After some investigating there are signs that the wind “could” of taken it out of the ground but that didn’t explain why I had some nuts and bolts completely dismantled.

I am going to buy two ground anchors this morning and some more chain. Your supposed to use those for bikes, not covers :scratch:

Ok, I got an Armadillo Cover in the end. Something happened during the night though. I’m split if it was the wind that caused it or someone tried to steal it. I’ve lost an expensive cover in the past before and if I hadn’t of chained the Armadillo cover to the front wheel, I’m convinced the Armadillo cover would of went this time too.

I got notified by a neighbour this morning that my cover was laying flat on the floor. After some investigating there are signs that the wind “could” of taken it out of the ground but that didn’t explain why I had some nuts and bolts completely dismantled.

I am going to buy two ground anchors this morning and some more chain. Your supposed to use those for bikes, not covers :scratch:

Bugger sorry to read this, wind ain't going to undue bolts, tbf my setup is in the rear garden, but I wouldn't have anticipated some light fingered fooker trying to nick the cover.

Ok, the cover is now back up and seems functional. I went to Wickes and got of these to day as a temporary solution to try and “slow down” these thieves.....

EAFB5A4B-427B-4E0B-8320-A4D07F99848E.thumb.jpeg.e9fe1e96f0d693b3d41004ca9f2ad765.jpeg

I got it because if they can remove the ground bolts I had in, then I know there is little I can do to stop them. I’m hoping that lifting a concrete board will slow them for now. I also used a very generous amount of TWO full tubes of silicon to attach the metal base plate to the frame and concrete board. So if they want the cover, they’re gonna have no choice but to carry that lump of concrete with them.

I finally went to ScrewFix and pick up these as well...

7771C194-0689-4091-A43A-B29787C6E454.thumb.jpeg.707d135c4ebc5abf7435fdc56ac22c16.jpegD70ABF68-E8DE-4AE4-B2FA-49EC9F4A8ACB.thumb.jpeg.594c9348f4c5b96e0c292fad606d6b1c.jpeg461E2C1C-6708-4051-981F-52204EC312B2.thumb.jpeg.2fac7f177d62fdefc0723997b0481dc4.jpeg