Clutch control

Hello everyone

So just had a pre CBT lesson (90 mins) prior to the full CBT next Saturday. First off putting on my gear felt so weird for the first time, claustrophobic with the helmet and glasses kept misting up (it was freezing cold!).

Instructor showed us the controls and put us on the bikes. They use Kawasaki KLXs which I didn't feel comfortable on with a very narrow seat but wasn't too bad. First was going round in circles in the car park (which was fairly small). Was fairly ok with that once I got used to the biting point. Then was figure of 8 with 2 cones about 3 metres apart. Bit wobbly but just about managed it by the end of that bit.

Lastly was U turn within the width of 3 car park spaces. This is when it went pear shaped. Got very wobbly and kept putting my foot down on the turn and stalling. Just couldn't get the hang of holding it at the biting point and keeping the revs up to control it and keeping my balance when turning.

Got a bit annoyed with myself and more tense as I was the last to go and the others were waiting for me to finish.

Hopefully be better for the full CBT, left the lesson frustrated but determined to get back on. Wish I didn't have to wait a week though!

Instructor was a top bloke, very calm and patient. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys.

Never heard of a pre-cbt before?

Is that a real thing or just a way for the bike schools to earn a bit more cash?

Sounds like it wasn't a waste of time though. All bike time is good bike time, keep running through the movements so when you get back on the bike it will be easy!

:cheers:

I know exactly how you feel, I struggled on my CBT earlier this year. Here's my tips:

1. It's normal, so don't worry. You're one step towards fixing it because you've recognised the problem and want to sort it.

2. It will come, with practise, and quicker than you imagine. You might master it after a few hours of riding but you'll almost certainly be *good enough* during your CBT.

3. Ask your instructor to practise in a straight line perhaps. Try keeping the bike at <5mph for a good distance. If you can do that, then it's only balance you need to work on.

4. Use the rear brake. It's hard to get smooth throttle and clutch balance, but using the foot brake can help to even things out. When you move off use the brake gently to bring your speed back down a touch, then just tiny movements of all the controls will see you right.

Good luck with the CBT.

Cheers guys

No the pre CBT was free (included in the £110 For the cbt). Will try the slow straight. Think nerves and frustration just got the better of me by the end. Just need to get used to it I guess. As it was so cold and wearing winter gloves couldn't get a precise feel for the clutch. Also had new bike boots on which felt big and heavy for the brake and gears. Instructor suggested borrowing theirs for the CBT which will be softer.

Even though I hate wearing them will put in contact lenses for the CBT. When I'm riding more hopefully the ventilation at speed in the helmet will stop the glasses misting up. At the lesson there was a fair bit of standing around in the cold.

Obviously I'll see how the CBT goes but I was considering doing lessons straight after on a bigger bike but if my clutch control at low speeds isn't that good I might consider buying a 125 to get more practice and then have lessons on bigger bike. I think they use er6s.

Thanks for the advice guys!

If you're considering a bigger bike, don't bother with 125. Unless you want to start on the 125 for a year or so before moving up.

The bigger bike is a bit easier for some reason - smoother controls and more power meaning less likely to stall. Balance is harder, but not much.

I got a 125 for extra practice and found it great, I had issues with the u turn, while the big bike was more stable and nicer to ride everything you learn on the 125 is transferable to the big bike, I think the pre cbt is a great idea, some people struggle if it's your first time so a pre test stint is giving you some idea of what your facing.

It's early days for you so I wouldn't dwell on anything just yet, keep doing it one step at a time, try and relax and enjoy it.

(edited as i really should look at what my phone is auto correcting :shock: )

Edited by Bender

one tip, I never bothered putting my visor down when doing CBT (obviously when not on road), and when on road you can leave a small gap if not too cold!

Doesn't sound like they've got you using the back break yet, when they do it makes slow speed stuff much easier. Number one rule, look where you want to go!

Never heard of a pre-cbt before?

Is that a real thing or just a way for the bike schools to earn a bit more cash?

Sounds like it wasn't a waste of time though. All bike time is good bike time, keep running through the movements so when you get back on the bike it will be easy!

:cheers:

I had one, they called it a taster lesson, free and it last half an hour. It really helped preparing for the CBT.

Thanks for tips and encouragement guys.

I also thought it was a good idea to have a free pre CBT/taster too being new to bikes. Just didn't think that I'd be introduced to figure of 8s and u turns so quickly though. Perhaps it was because the other two lads had previous experience on bikes. Not complaining though even as I struggled with slow speed u turns, hopefully should help me pick it up quicker in the full CBT. From what I've heard we should be given a fair bit more time to get the slow stuff right in the car park before the road session. Really buzzing now to give it another go! :D

They won't let you on the road (or at least they shouldn't) until you are ready. I've done CBT twice, you get several hours practising before going out on road.

I thought of another important tip, well two actually - first is relax! Keep an eye on how tense you are (you'll know because your hands will start aching) and tell yourself to relax. I kept messing up figure of eights until the instructor shouted relax - I then realised how tense I was and made myself relax. As soon as I did, and starting moving with the bike it fell into place - and figure of 8s became a flowing pleasure and dead easy. Second tip - linked to the first - enjoy it! When I was about to go out on the road I was dreading it, then I thought, hold on - this is a fun thing, this is something I want to do, I should be enjoying it. That also helped me relax. After all, if you don't enjoy it then there is no point doing it.

I remember the after my day CBT... The instructor sat me on an ENORMOUS 500* and I followed him for 15 miles on an NSL dual carriageway thronging with cars and vans that were swarming and weaving like things possessed. I eventually reached a personal best of 65mph, but it felt like flying through the outer circles of hell on a fire-breathing metal stallion.

*ok, a normal-sized 500