Module 1 - members test experiences

Failed Mod1 twice in 2 weeks. Gutted

First time foot went down on Slalom, too slow.

Second time, ended up on wrong side of white line on U turn.

Starting to cost a bit now, not sure how I am ever going to pass at this rate. On the yard I am fine, test though not sure what happens, not even nerves!

Stick with it mate.......it'll all come together..... 8-)

Passed Mod 1 with 0 faults, was a lot easier than I thought. Spent the day training in Wimborne with Lets Ride, they are a great company far better than the company I did my CBT with.

Spent the day training before my test at 1330, it was raining heavy all day and I cooked the rear brake and it stopped working altogether the instructions for doing the figure 8 were a bit odd to me we were told the test centre was on a slight hill so we would need to keep the revs up.. this made little sense to me as I was revving to around 4k riding the clutch and using the rear brake constantly. I was struggling with the swerve too hit the cones almost all the time but managed the last 2 apparently I was still too close to them..

When we got to the test centre I was the first of 4 riders to go through it, I didnt really notice that there was a hill and pretty much did it on the clutch with a small amount of gas. I got 59kph on the emergency stop and 56 on the swerve.

Passed with no minors the examiner said it was lucky I released the throttle on the swerve as he was getting ready to scoop me up!

All in all a good day, the test seemed a bit more mind over matter

• 1 month later...

Mod 1 was a fun day in the rain, yup 1 fault because i did accelerate rather quickly on the estop and went through the speed check at 64...slight lockup, if i'd stayed only on the front brake i wouldnt have had the fault but hey the Examiner had a chuckle........

• 2 months later...

Mod one 1st attempt in October, failed as gust of wind caught me on slalom, clipped a cone, instant fail. Aced the rest.

Resit booked early November, called the night before, test centre closed for a week as moss found on the tarmac! Worst still, had mod 2 all booked. Next available test, 28th November, nearly 4 weeks!

Work too crazy/weather too bad so no chance to practice. Managed to get 30 mins bike time before test (thanks JT's!), kept messing up u-turn, then down to test centre.

Manual handling, no issue.

Slalom...really nervous as this was my failure point last time...no issue - flowed easily, and he only made me go through fig 8 once (which was odd).

Slow crawl, no issue.

U-turn, well within the line, too much so, foot down! Asked if it was instant failure, he said he couldn't tell me.

Carried on but pretty gutted now.

High speed stop...got lost on cones (not listening) but stopped perfectly.

E brake, piece of cake.

Swerve..piece of cake.

Park up, get off bike, pretty gutted. Examiner says, "well a few issues, but pleased to say you have passed!". I was rather surprised, my instructor was sure I'd failed. It was a different instructor from the first time, its almost like they went easy because I aced it all the first time except for clipping a cone. Or perhaps because I was just straightening up on the bike, who knows.

MOD 2 booked for early December! So chuffed as I've already paid deposit on Tracer 700.

Huge sigh of relief.

• 2 weeks later...

my learning stages were exciting. Iv been through the wars (literally) right hand and wrist have been smashed apart and contain plastic bones, restricts the movement slightly in the wrist and hand wedding finger and pinky. Lower legs have compartment compression syndrome which restricts the movement of my ankles slightly (up and down movements)

Failed the first CBT, as i have slight restricted movement in my right hand and wrist so whenever i was turning the bike, id rev it like mad as i cant really rotate my wrist, add that to a learners clutch control and your not having fun. Instructor wasnt really the best tbh.

Second CBT passed easily, new instructor and instantly got me to hold the throttle in a certain way allowing more freedom of movement for my wrist.

Next up, DAS, three day course. Day one different instructor, came off the bike as i couldnt reach the bikes rear brake with my right foot (Suzuki Gladius) so snatched he front brake and ended up on my back with the bike skooshing petrol down my groin, oops. Ended up going home later as the instructor was not much of an instructor and more of an over the top fault finder.

one week later, DAS three day course with the same instructor as my successful CBT, mod 1 passed without any faults. Operation on my left leg, 5 weeks later a 3 hour lesson with the same instructor and a Mod 2 passed without any faults. If i can fail a CBT and come off the bike first day of the DAS but still pass the tests without fauls, anyone can!!

best advice i can ever give is to enjoy your lessons and tests, relax and remember trust yourself. Happy riding

• 4 weeks later...

Posting my Module 1 experience below:

I had my test at Basildon in August 2017 and was given a left handed circuit. However I failed cos I hit the bloody cone at the hazard avoidance. I felt crushed cos it was the last bit and I was really hoping I would pass. I never really practised the hazard avoidance which meant I did not counter-steer at all for the hazard avoidance. After the test, I decided to buy some cones from Argos and I practised everyday for 2 weeks. At the end of the 2 weeks period, I was more confident and had a lot of practice under my belt. Contacted my training school and told them I was ready for the test which meant they could call me for any last minute cancellation.

Fast forward to September 6th. Got a call from the training school about a cancellation for the next day (7th). I accepted and went in for the test.

Wheeling the moped or motorcycle and using the stand

I forgot to raise the stand but remembered as I heard it scrapping the floor. I stopped the bike, did my shoulder checks again and wheeled it into the correct bay.

Riding a slalom and figure of 8

I had a formula for this which worked for me. Singing a tune in my head and keeping the revs up. I also dipped the bike in for the figure of 8 at every turn. This was also a success.

Slow ride

No biggie with this. Just kept my head and the revs of the bike up.

U-turn

This was also a breeze. Kept my head up and looked where I wanted to go as I turned my head round before making the turn.

Cornering and a controlled stop

Smooth and easy.

Cornering and an emergency stop

Now this is where some people have some issues. My advise is shut off the power as soon as you go past the speed trap and wait for the examiner to give you the signal to stop. When you brake, DON'T PULL IN THE CLUTH UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE. If you pull in the clutch quickly, you would lock the back wheel, simple. Even if you stall the bike, it is not a biggie. Just pull in the front brake (soft squeeze), press the back brake lightly and as the bike creeps to a stop, pull in the clutch.

Cornering and hazard avoidance

Now this was where I failed the last time. I went round the corner, counter-steered and stopped correctly. Examiner comes over and tells me I was below the required speed. He gave me a second go at it. I went round the corner again, counter-steered the bike and came to a controlled stop in the required spot. BOOM!!! He told me I got to the required speed.

Kept doing all my shoulder check until I parked the bike and it was the best feeling afterwards. I passed with just one minor (not reaching the required speed for the avoidance).

I would post up my module 2 experience soon in the required section which I hope would help someone planning to take their test. I have posted a few videos on my youtube channel which I would link to this page also when I get the chance.

Cheers,

djblinkblink

I had my test at Basildon in August 2017 and was given a left handed circuit. However I failed cos I hit the bloody cone at the hazard avoidance. I felt crushed cos it was the last bit and I was really hoping I would pass. I never really practised the hazard avoidance which meant I did not counter-steer at all for the hazard avoidance. After the test, I decided to buy some cones from Argos and I practised everyday for 2 weeks. At the end of the 2 weeks period, I was more confident and had a lot of practice under my belt. Contacted my training school and told them I was ready for the test which meant they could call me for any last minute cancellation.

Fast forward to September 6th. Got a call from the training school about a cancellation for the next day (7th). I accepted and went in for the test.

I forgot to raise the stand but remembered as I heard it scrapping the floor. I stopped the bike, did my shoulder checks again and wheeled it into the correct bay.

I had a formula for this which worked for me. Singing a tune in my head and keeping the revs up. I also dipped the bike in for the figure of 8 at every turn. This was also a success.

Slow ride

U-turn

This was also a breeze. Kept my head up and looked where I wanted to go as I turned my head round before making the turn.

Smooth and easy.

Now this is where some people have some issues. My advise is shut off the power as soon as you go past the speed trap and wait for the examiner to give you the signal to stop. When you brake, DON'T PULL IN THE CLUTH UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE. If you pull in the clutch quickly, you would lock the back wheel, simple. Even if you stall the bike, it is not a biggie. Just pull in the front brake (soft squeeze), press the back brake lightly and as the bike creeps to a stop, pull in the clutch.

Now this was where I failed the last time. I went round the corner, counter-steered and stopped correctly. Examiner comes over and tells me I was below the required speed. He gave me a second go at it. I went round the corner again, counter-steered the bike and came to a controlled stop in the required spot. BOOM!!! He told me I got to the required speed.

Kept doing all my shoulder check until I parked the bike and it was the best feeling afterwards. I passed with just one minor (not reaching the required speed for the avoidance).

I would post up my module 2 experience soon in the required section which I hope would help someone planning to take their test. I have posted a few videos on my youtube channel which I would link to this page also when I get the chance.

Cheers,

djblinkblink

Good job on the pass, the part in bold is wrong though. It'll make you speed up which is why you don't pull the clutch in until the last minute.

Slow ride

U-turn

Smooth and easy.

Cheers,

djblinkblink

Good job on the pass, the part in bold is wrong though. It'll make you speed up which is why you don't pull the clutch in until the last minute.

Thanks 😎.

Yes you would speed up (definitely), however if you pull in the clutch and brakes at the same time (which is how we stamp on the brakes for cars in an emergency situation), the back wheel for the motorcycle would lock up. This happened to me loads of times before I discovered my error and to be honest, it was a blessing in disguise 😎

Yeah but that's not pulling the clutch in causing you to lock up, that's stamping on the rear break :thumb:

Honestly, I was shocked myself :shock: . Give it a try when you can. Bring your bike's speed to about 35mph and pull in your front brake with the clutch lever at once (while using the back brake lightly). You would either feel the ABS kicking in to stop your bike from locking or you would lock the back wheels :D 8-)

Started DAS on Tuesday with Mod1 on Thursday afternoon. First day was tough, 2nd day better, not putting my foot down as much on the slow stuff. Weather was crap all days and come time for Mod1 the winds got up to about 45 mph (thanks Eleanor!)

Two of us with the instructor, other lad went first, breezed it. No minors.

I get very nervous at tests and during the two days of practice I was ok but would now and again lose focus and put my foot down on the U-turn or knock over the cone with my foot on the swerve (always on the right side never the left!) and come the test, cone was on the right!

So starting the test, nerves had really built up during the time in the waiting room and was sure I was going to put my foot down on the U or touch a cone, walking out the wind had really picked up, examiner grabbed my gloves from blowing away whilst I was putting on my helmet!I must have looked a right uncoordinated prat!

Decided I was going to take my time between each part and waited about minute or two waiting for a drop in the gusts of wind, took a few deep breaths and focused on getting my revs up and moving away with as much control as I could to be nice and steady for each manoeuvre.

Got through all the slow stuff ok, not very smooth or relaxed, but didn't put a foot down or touch a cone. Controlled stop and E brake all ok. Now the swerve, thought I did ok but did came off the throttle a little early. Examiner says 47 kph, gutted! Really nervous now as I know only have 1 go left to get it and was annoyed with myself getting everything else right just to balls it up at the end. So I thought just go for it! Did it but had no idea what speed.

Gestured back to the waiting room by the examiner, thought I'd blown it. He says "well done, you've passed".

Two minors, bit wide on the 8 and slow speed on the 1st go at the swerve. Asked speed on 2nd go, 57 kph!

So happy that Mod1 is out the way. As others have said, easy to pass but also easy to fail. Was much more worried about Mod1 than 2. Just one more test to go and I can start bike shopping!

What I learned and could help others is to take your time and trust the bike. With me it was to learning to have the confidence to just let the clutch out a touch when I felt the bike was too slow and I felt the urge to put my foot down to not drop the bike.

Looking forward to Mod2 next week with a bit better weather.

Cheers guys!

:cheers:

Started DAS on Tuesday with Mod1 on Thursday afternoon. First day was tough, 2nd day better, not putting my foot down as much on the slow stuff. Weather was crap all days and come time for Mod1 the winds got up to about 45 mph (thanks Eleanor!)

I get very nervous at tests and during the two days of practice I was ok but would now and again lose focus and put my foot down on the U-turn or knock over the cone with my foot on the swerve (always on the right side never the left!) and come the test, cone was on the right!

So starting the test, nerves had really built up during the time in the waiting room and was sure I was going to put my foot down on the U or touch a cone, walking out the wind had really picked up, examiner grabbed my gloves from blowing away whilst I was putting on my helmet!I must have looked a right uncoordinated prat!

Decided I was going to take my time between each part and waited about minute or two waiting for a drop in the gusts of wind, took a few deep breaths and focused on getting my revs up and moving away with as much control as I could to be nice and steady for each manoeuvre.

Got through all the slow stuff ok, not very smooth or relaxed, but didn't put a foot down or touch a cone. Controlled stop and E brake all ok. Now the swerve, thought I did ok but did came off the throttle a little early. Examiner says 47 kph, gutted! Really nervous now as I know only have 1 go left to get it and was annoyed with myself getting everything else right just to balls it up at the end. So I thought just go for it! Did it but had no idea what speed.

Gestured back to the waiting room by the examiner, thought I'd blown it. He says "well done, you've passed".

Two minors, bit wide on the 8 and slow speed on the 1st go at the swerve. Asked speed on 2nd go, 57 kph!

So happy that Mod1 is out the way. As others have said, easy to pass but also easy to fail. Was much more worried about Mod1 than 2. Just one more test to go and I can start bike shopping!

What I learned and could help others is to take your time and trust the bike. With me it was to learning to have the confidence to just let the clutch out a touch when I felt the bike was too slow and I felt the urge to put my foot down to not drop the bike.

Cheers guys!

Congratulations on the pass :cheers:

Cheers guys!

Re taking a moment ...

I think what a lot of people fail to hear and heed on any test are the phrases..."in your own time / when your ready"

No it doesn't mean 4 hours later but as you said waiting for the breeze to die down ...

Even out on the ride ... if you feel all the nerves mounting

Up find a safe place to stop .. get off your bike in the prescribed manner and compose yourself .. explain to the examiner your reasons take that moment and resume using all prescribed manner for starting off .

They are humans and would rather wait a minute or two than watch your standard decline with each nervous moment until something dangerous or stupid happens .

The pulling up / setting off procedure may be scored as part of the test and it serves two benefits .

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys and Girls

I sat my module one two days ago and failed everything was perfect no issues until my SWERVE I hit 47 one under the minimum limit 48, my instructor told me not to look at the speedomiter which I didn't as a result I failed both attempts. I have no issue performing the swerve only getting to speed ....

Any tips/advice for this and the A2 test which I am yet to take?

Cheers, Safe ridding...

Hi Guys and Girls

I sat my module one two days ago and failed everything was perfect no issues until my SWERVE I hit 47 one under the minimum limit 48, my instructor told me not to look at the speedomiter which I didn't as a result I failed both attempts. I have no issue performing the swerve only getting to speed ....

Any tips/advice for this and the A2 test which I am yet to take?

Cheers, Safe ridding...

Don't swerve back in too quickly - there's no need - you have a long distance to slow down, aim for the box, and stop. So, take a nice wide arc which should allow you to build some speed without worrying.

One thing that helped me which stopped me focusing on the speedo and getting the right speed is when I practised, my instructor told me to listen to the sound of the bike at around 32-35 mph. It was quite distinctive in 2nd gear and I knew I was over the right speed. May be of help to you.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my mod 1 for the full A licence yesterday and as normal for me I was full of test nerves so as I pulled up on the other side of the gate I stalled the bike. Then I parked in the green box and left it in gear so had to pull the clutch in for the manual handling of the bike but after that the rest went well with 57 first time on the E stop and 52 first time on the swerve then back inside the examiner told me I had passed with 2 minors.

1st minor was for the stall

2nd minor was for going slightly to fast on the slow ride

• 1 month later...

So today (8 days after my cbt) at 41 years old I passed both module 1 & 2 tests in the same day, my advice to you is listen to what your instructor tells you, have faith and confidence in yourself and try not to worry...

The tests are really not that hard but will effectively examine whether or not you have the skills and competence to be safe on the road. I did 3 consecutive days of training and can recommend this method, the information is all fresh in your mind and as long as you are reasonable you will be fine! You can do this...

So today (8 days after my cbt) at 41 years old I passed both module 1 & 2 tests in the same day, my advice to you is listen to what your instructor tells you, have faith and confidence in yourself and try not to worry...

The tests are really not that hard but will effectively examine whether or not you have the skills and competence to be safe on the road. I did 3 consecutive days of training and can recommend this method, the information is all fresh in your mind and as long as you are reasonable you will be fine! You can do this...

Congratulations! Got a bike lined up?