Heated handlebar grips

LegOverLass

Shouldn't be a problem provided your not sitting at idle for long periods in traffic . Heated grips pull about 4 amps, that's roughly another headlight bulb. I would suggest you connect everything up switch on and then check the voltage across the battery with the engine running, if the reading at the battery is 12.8 volts or more the battery getting a charge.

Hiya,

Does anyone know if heated handlebar grips would drain the life out of a suzuki intruder vl125 battery?

I fitted a trickle charger last week but still not sure how do-able it is.

Thanks

I'd say worth the risk at this time of year! I've just fitted some to a Honda CRF250L and seems okay so far.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Been trying to respond for a week but everytime i tried i got the spinning wheel of doom on my phone :x

So far so good! I'll check the voltage too next time its running. Fingers crossed it keeps working. This will be the only thing that prevents Parked motorbike syndrome for me.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Been trying to respond for a week but everytime i tried i got the spinning wheel of doom on my phone :x

So far so good! I'll check the voltage too next time its running. Fingers crossed it keeps working. This will be the only thing that prevents Parked motorbike syndrome for me.

I don't want my bike rusting to oblivion so it's tucked up for the winter.

That and I do not trust my tyres in the wet and cold.

The latest range of Oxford heated grips will switch themselves off if you forget, so they can be safely just connected across the battery.

I have tested this (unintentionally) several times, and it works a treat.

They also have about 6 different heat settings, from just removing the chill all the way to WTF.

The latest range of Oxford heated grips will switch themselves off if you forget, so they can be safely just connected across the battery.

They also have about 6 different heat settings, from just removing the chill all the way to WTF.

I dont trust in this feature on mine,...........they are supposed to shut off if battery gets as low as 12.2V...............thats only "just" enough to crank my engine

I think I will carry on being paranoid about turning them off a min or 2 before I turn off engine

Of Course some Dickhead can switch them on "for a laugh" as they pass if they are direct to battery :(

I dont trust in this feature on mine,...........they are supposed to shut off if battery gets as low as 12.2V...............thats only "just" enough to crank my engine

I think I will carry on being paranoid about turning them off a min or 2 before I turn off engine

Of Course some Dickhead can switch them on "for a laugh" as they pass if they are direct to battery :(

You are being paranoid it does actually work

Although mine are wired to a relay! But it's just more for ease rather than to stop the battery going flat

I think I will test this with my spare battery just to see what voltage it shuts down at and if there is still enough power to start a freezing cold 4 cylinder

If you have the I believe version 8 controller it should shut off in about a minute or so once it senses that its not charging

2 year old grips with this controller

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.1319b85d08b6c57a1b412b6727fca0c0.jpg

Bike is in friends garage

cant ride it Atm as having to use ice studs on shoes just to walk around here ATM (ice is bad here)

A test could help the OP decide so I will test tomorrow

I quite like the wtf setting. Toasty

• 1 month later...

I quite like the wtf setting. Toasty

Yeah the WTF setting does it for me too :D no such thing as too hot :)